My Baseball Journal

[quote=“DOC GOODING”]jIM,

1- I think your arm action is fine at this point. And the minor things that are a little off are going to correct themselves when you fix your lower half mechanics. Don’t worry about this.

2- Separation is a function of what is going on in your stride phase. If you move earlier, acclerate through your stride better, and stay closed longer- you get separation at front foot touchdown.

IMO, If you focus on staying closed a little longer you will fix most of your issues. You don’t want to try to work on 3-4 things at a time. You may mess up the things that you already fixed. Good luck!

Also, try to do more work and filming off a mound if possible. You may find that your mechanics are better or worse off a mound, so some of the stuff we are talking about may not apply. Analyzing mechanics from flat ground can be a little dicey at times. Do they have indfoor mounds for you to use?[/quote]

I have been told they do, I will try to use one today if I can.

I was talking about like a progression of drills the emphasized different things. for example: knee drills, down and out-stop drill, then pitching.

kind of like warming up and then going full go.

I’ll go with what you said, and focus mainly on my leg drive, but I believe that I should continue to do some drills to continue to build muscle memory for my arm action. And at the very least, use those drills to warm up my arm and body.

I’ll look for a mound tonight when I throw. I believe all I have to do is ask the people that work there to unlock the door.

Sounds like things ate progressing nicely jimster.

Keep working hard.

[quote="jimster]I was talking about like a progression of drills the emphasized different things. for example: knee drills, down and out-stop drill, then pitching.
kind of like warming up and then going full go.[/quote]

Sounds good. I meant that you did not need to put together a whole new set of drills. I liked some of the med ball drills you were doing. You can use these for trunk tilt, front leg brace up, external rotation, separation. Use the Hershisier drill for leg lift and closing off the hip. The baseball think tank guy has a few others as well. These are great drills to do every day and they make a great warmup before pitching or practice and will help create muscle memory without putting stress on your arm.

I found the mounds in the gym, but unfortunately they are in the storage area and they are very difficult to get out. So I won’t be able to use them. There’s not much I can do to get them out or use them. Oh well.

That’s too bad man

Since my arm action has been consistent every time I throw, I will be focusing on my next mechanical thing. I want to stay closed longer, which will hopefully increase separation and torque. I notice on video that at I open up a little to early, which doesn’t effect my external rotation, but my affect velocity and control. I believe Doc mentioned something about that in a previous post.

I want to to work on building it into my full motion, just like I did with my arm action. I have worked on it before, but now I’m going to focus on it completely. With some work I did yesterday, I noticed that I got into a great power position before rotating forward, when went slow and focused on it.

So I’m going to keep working on it. But I will be doing mental work during this break. I’m giving my body a complete rest. I will still be stretching and doing some cardio tomorrow possibly, but that’s about it. I will still be doing mental work, which I have found help when I’m trying to make mechanical changes. I visualize my mechanics every night until I fall asleep, which I have found is effective for my pitching and a great way to fall asleep. haha :stuck_out_tongue:

I also think another thing that has helped me with my pitching is me becoming a full time pitcher, so now all my focus is on pitching. I think that is probably the biggest thing that will help me continue to improve!

That’s about it!

Happy Turkey day tomorrow everyone!

Glad you finally took ny advice and became a Pitcher only.

Keep working hard at what you’re doing.

Happy holidays!

We are supposed to be getting some unseasonably warm weather, so I will take advantage of that.

I think that I will put a new video up sometime this week.

I have been working on eliminating the the ‘w’ thing that has been mentioned before.

I was right in saying that is related to my posture. Staying taller helps, and working on my glove arm action helps too. I have been trying to do a ‘lincecum/bauer’ type glove arm action.

What I mean by that is the following:

-keeping my glove low
-keeping elbow low
-extend arm away from body during arm swing

I found when I do this my glove arm naturally goes through a good arm action and corrects my I guess would call it my elbow action. It helps to keep my elbows even with my shoulders and it looks more smooth.

I’m still working on getting it to be consistent in my mechanics, but I can do it. I just really focus on that and being tall and my mech’s look a lot better.

It also helps my separation and my position at footplant.

More work ahead, but I’m continuing to improve!

Oh, on a weight note, I have hit 193 once and have been fluttering between 191.5-192.5. So hopefully I can keep up the weight gain.

I have also noticed that I have been making great strides in the weight room. My gains on upper body stuff is slowing down, but my lower body is still going up pretty consistently.

Oh, on a weight note, I have hit 193 once and have been fluttering between 191.5-192.5. So hopefully I can keep up the weight gain.

I have also noticed that I have been making great strides in the weight room. My gains on upper body stuff is slowing down, but my lower body is still going up pretty consistently.

Good stuff jimster keep working hard, looking forward to seeing the new video to see the improvements

I put a new video up, check it out when you all get the chance.

I weighed 194lb yesterday before lifting, so hopefully I can get to my goal of 200lbs!

I’ll probably ask my dad since he is knowledgeable in this area, but I’ll ask my question on here too.

Do you think that I should get to 200lb and try to maintain or try to get to 205lbs and cut back down to 200lb. I’m not really sure which to do, and I have plenty or time to decide since I’m not to 200 yet.

Winter break starts after next week, so I will be continuing to workout and getting my pitching work in. Hopefully I continue to improve!

I put a new video up, check it out when you all get the chance.

I weighed 194lb yesterday before lifting, so hopefully I can get to my goal of 200lbs!

I’ll probably ask my dad since he is knowledgeable in this area, but I’ll ask my question on here too.

Do you think that I should get to 200lb and try to maintain or try to get to 205lbs and cut back down to 200lb. I’m not really sure which to do, and I have plenty or time to decide since I’m not to 200 yet.

Winter break starts after next week, so I will be continuing to workout and getting my pitching work in. Hopefully I continue to improve!

Looks good jimster.

If I was you and I’ve had that hard of a time gaining and keeping weight I’d go in a little heavier, you’re almost guaranteed to lose weight during the season.

Any luck with a summer team?

I haven’t really been looking to hard. I’m waiting to hear about more teams from my pitching coach.

I’m going to start looking into the teams you sent me over break, since I’ll have lots of time to do so.

Clocks ticking man, a lot of teams are filling up

I got home today and went to my local facility to get some throwing work in.

I got some throwing in on a mound. My mechanics, regrettably, regressed some. I believe the angle of the mound caused my upper body to rush and that caused other mechanical issues.

I have written up a program I can do from the mound. It’s basically all the drill work I did before, I’m just going to do it from the mound.

I think that this will help to acclimate me to the angle of the mound, so that I can help transition my mechanics to a mound.

I don’t believe I will struggle nightly, but I still need to put lots of work in on it.

I will be getting a video up maybe on Sunday or next week sometime. I’m going to rest today from lifting and from throwing until Sunday.

Hopefully, I have pretty good video, so I have a good starting point from which to begin working from.

I’ll probably be extremely bored until I start back up, but my body can always use a couple days off.

My mechanical focuses will be as following:

-should level
-posture
-glove arm action
-leg drive
-staying closed

I won’t be thinking about all these at the same time. I will only isolate and tr to limit my focus

Looking forward to seeing some new clips

Messing around in my basement with my mirror and camera doing some dry reps and I think I figured out how to get my arm to go through well. When I break my hands, I lean back as far back as I can and go through my arm action and my arm goes through a good arm path.

For some reason, it made my arm action smooth, continuous, and eliminated the inverted W.

I have also started video taping from behind as well as the side, so I can get a different angle on my arm action.

I’ll have to see how it looks when I go throw tomorrow. Hopefully it translates to the mound well.