My Baseball Journal

I’ll be off the boards for a while, baseball workouts will be starting and my new class will also be starting tomorrow. So between class, baseball, and social stuff, I’ll be quite busy. I’ll try to update on here as much as I can.

I have been having some success with my leg mechanics and I’m working on getting my arm action to go with it. When I throw 75% my arm actions looks great, when I go full go, it hitches at the bottom and prohibits good ER. Sol getting my leg action and arm action to line up will be my focus this offseason.

My stride has been consistently over 6 ft(6’2-6-'4) with relative ease too, which is right where I want to be.

This winter will be huge in terms of my mechanical development. My arm strength is there, it’s just getting it all to click in my pitching motion. I believe that I can get to 85 by spring time. And that’s my goal.

If you want more details about what I’m doing this offseason, more details about the end of fall league, or any other questions, please Pm me, I’ll be more than happy and able to answer those pretty quickly. Normally I would be open on here about what I’m doing this offseason, but for reasons I’d rather not discuss, I will keep them private.

I have made great strides in improving my mechanics. But I’ve only taken a small step forward. I still have a long way to go. But I have the confidence and the drive to get there.

Workouts start this week, and there will be 2 workouts and 1 conditioning day a week during the offseason. I will be doing things to supplement my training, so I can continue to gain weight. My weight currently, confirmed by a digital scale, is 188.

I still want to get up to 200 lbs and I believe that I can do that healtly and by spring.

When I say spring, I mean like Janurary. That ends up being ‘spring’ time for me. haha.

Best of luck to everyone and there offseason. I’ll be lurking from time to time and hopefully occasionally posting. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for reading and thanks for everyone that has offered me help. I will Pm you guys if there is anything that I could use your help with.

Good stuff jimster

Pitcher’s are made in the off season

Good luck and I’ll be sure to keep in touch via PM

All the best

Meet with the pitching coach today. He said I was clocked between 76-80mph on the mound during the fall.

He said as of now I would be on jv as a pither, which isn’t a big surprise to me and something that I can use as motivation to work harder.

a big, in my opinion, that he mentioned, that my arm strength doesn’t correlate with my pitching speed. He said he thinks that with some mechanic adjustments, that I can throw much faster because arm strength is there, it just needs to be utilized.

So I’m going to keep working and hopefully the mechanical adjustments I’m making start to transition into better pitching for me!

I know it’s early, but have a good thanksgiving just in case I don’t get back on here.

Keep working hard man, use the off season to improve and get off of the JV squad!

JV is College Baseball Purgatory, you don’t want to get stuck in there for the next 4 years.

I agree 100% with you. I have the ability and potential too, so I just need to keep working hard. My goal for the roster is to make the roster for the Florida trip this spring.

Where you guys going and playing in FLA?

They have mentioned the place a couple times, but I forgot exactly where it is. I wish I could tell you more :stuck_out_tongue:

RussMatt Central Florida Invitational in Winter Haven FLA?

I honestly am not sure, but if I think it’s in central florida, so it may be that one. I’ll know more about it later.

The offseason has been going very well. I like the workout that we are doing. We work out 5x a week. 4 days of lifting+running and 1 day for just conditioning. The coach incorporiates some pitching things into the workouts, which saves me some time when we do those. He also incourages a lot of dry reps, but I don’t do too many of them because I don’t do something wrong and develop a hitch or some mechanical flaw because I’m not on video tape.

Academically speaking I will be a sophomore after this semester because of my college credit from high school, but I probably will still take the full 4 years at least because I’m going to double major in special ed and phys. ed.

I’m up to 188lbs te last time I checked(about a week ago). My goal is still to get to 200lbs by the start up of spring practice.

Hopefully I can solidify better mechanical habits and that they will translate into positive things on the mound.

Keep it up man.

Now am I correct in understanding what your saying, you don’t do too many reps if your not on film? I know you’re working on a few things and all that and you want tobbe able to review what you’re doing, but if you’re not putting in the same quality work as the Freshman beside you that’s not good.

That’s a way to give off the impression to your Coaching staff that you’re not working hard and putting in the effort to make yourself better, it’s just another strike against you and it’ll make it that much harder to get off of JV.

Just something to think about man.

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]Keep it up man.

Now am I correct in understanding what your saying, you don’t do too many reps if your not on film? I know you’re working on a few things and all that and you want tobbe able to review what you’re doing, but if you’re not putting in the same quality work as the Freshman beside you that’s not good.

That’s a way to give off the impression to your Coaching staff that you’re not working hard and putting in the effort to make yourself better, it’s just another strike against you and it’ll make it that much harder to get off of JV.

Just something to think about man.[/quote]

I can assure you that I’m putting in the same quality work as any player on the team. I have yet to see someone do the full 75 reps that he want us to do. I do about ten quality reps and go do my next thing. I don’t want to be working out for 2+hours and miss dinner.

If the coach every said anything to me about not doing the full reps, I would tell him, I do some when I workout, and I do the rest of the reps on my own with my video camera, so I could look at myself and make sure I’m doing things mechanically correctly.

He has actually saw my in the rec center working on mechanics-I was doing some dry reps when he was in there, so he knows I put in the extra work and actually have a video camera. So I hope he isn’t lying when he told me that I have a good work ethic, which is one of the things he mentioned in the player-coach meeting.

On a weight note, I lost 3lbs, which some of it was probably from sweat from the workout and I attribute some to be mildly sick and not having much of appetite for the past few days. I will be eating like crazy to keep up my weight gaining. It’s hard as heck to maintain my weight!

I got a long way to go, but as long as I keep improving mechanically, my gains in strength will only benefit me more.

Hey Jim,

Looked at your last clip from the tennis court. Here’s what I see:

1- Like the slide step! You get your hips moving to the target early.
2- I think your front foot opens early.
3- Inverted W is re-appearing
4- Here’s the real area of concern. You land heel first and by the time the front foot settles, you are already throwing. Your hips and shoulders are completely open and facing the target. There is no separation. Slow the tape down and watch your position when that front foot completely settles. You are actually throwing the ball at this point!
5- Here’s another area of concern. Watch your front knee from this point on. It flexes and moves forward through ball release. You never barce up and stabilize. You roll up onto your tippy toes when you complete the delivery.
6- you did get better ex rotation
7- you are a little too upright at ball release
8- you have a dead back leg.

Great observations Doc

Thanks for the feedback. I think my focus should be now, is to improve my non arm action mechanics(torso/legs) while maintain my arm action.

I believe that I will start by focusing on staying closed and gradually building a good leg drive into my motion. I think staying closed will be harder to do and something I need to do first, since my leg drive is useless without good separation.

Thanks for the feedback!

We swam today for our baseball conditioning and it went great. Something different and something that is great for every muscle in the body. A lot of people complained about being tired afterwords, but I feel great!

Jim,

Your 10-28 clip is much improved!

I still like your slide step move, Your hips get moving sooner and stay closed longer. Also, its great for holding runners. But, I understand you have to follow the coaches.

1- Leg lift. Its good. I would say a little bit balanced up. If you can get the hips going to target sooner with a controlled fall, it will help you stay closed a little longer.

2- Try to push off a little more with the drive leg, this will get you further down the mound, and will help you stay closed longer.

3- Your foot opens a little early. But just by a frame or two. If you work on the first 2 issues, this will eventually fix itself. The key is to get your hips to the target sooner and get a little further down the mound.

4- Alot of improvement at front foot! You are not throwing as early as you were before. When you foot is settling down, you are in a nice L cocked position with hips to target and shoulders back more. This is helping you to get better separation. Keep working on this. You need to be in this position when the foot is completely down. So maybe, you are a frame early here, but a lot of improvement. Again, when you fix the first 3 issues, this will fix itself eventually.

5- Much better external rotation.

6- Your front knee is much more stable. Work on pulling it in, as your chest goes out.

7- Your back leg is much more active! Your moving off the imaginary rubber and its not weigthing you down. When your leg flies up like this it means your momentum is going forward and not holding you back. You also cover some nice distance with your stride.

Good stuff. Keep it up…

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I will focus on separation and make sort of a progression for myself through my mechanics.

Start with arm action work

separation work

leg drive work

I think they transition into one another and allow me to focus on one thing at a time.

jIM,

1- I think your arm action is fine at this point. And the minor things that are a little off are going to correct themselves when you fix your lower half mechanics. Don’t worry about this.

2- Separation is a function of what is going on in your stride phase. If you move earlier, acclerate through your stride better, and stay closed longer- you get separation at front foot touchdown.

IMO, If you focus on staying closed a little longer you will fix most of your issues. You don’t want to try to work on 3-4 things at a time. You may mess up the things that you already fixed. Good luck!

Also, try to do more work and filming off a mound if possible. You may find that your mechanics are better or worse off a mound, so some of the stuff we are talking about may not apply. Analyzing mechanics from flat ground can be a little dicey at times. Do they have indfoor mounds for you to use?

I think you hit the nail on the head here!