My arm action

I cant really post a video of me pitching full speed because of an elbow injury, but it has gotten better enough so that i am able to throw around 50 %. So here it is, any criticism would be appreciated.

your elbow gets really really high. I think you are trying to throw overhand but think that to throw overhand it means raising your elbow. Arm slot is just trunk lean.

When in my delivery are you taking about? Its kinda strange because I just was informed that my elbow was too low so I tried to bring it up a little bit, although I wasnt sure if the instructor meant my release point was too low or the high cock position was too low.

that’s a VERY common piece of advice you will receive from the typical pitching instructor. Problem is, none of the great long career major league HOF pitchers bring their elbows above their shoulders like you do. Read a little about it here: www.chrisoleary.com

I know most instructors say to get your elbow up but that is AWFUL advice and it WILL get you injured. Check out some videos of Lincecum, he throws almost directly over the top but his elbow stays below the level of his shoulders.

Can somebody back me up here?

Yes I agree with that. Oleary says your elbow should stay below the shoulder level when your shoulders begin to rotate. I guess, like you said, I was trying to raise my release point and when doing so, I accidently increased the hieght of my elbow so that it is above that level.

Sorry LankyLefty, I think your wrong here.

His elbow at first glance doesn’t look too high to me.

And yes, most big leaguers actually have their elbow above their shoulder AT release. Granted, it doesn’t stay there long, but at release guys like Clemens, Nolan Ryan etc., all have elbows above the shoulder at release.

then what’s the problem, Hammer? You are saying what he does is normal!? It’s like he’s raising his hand in class, thats what his arm looks like at release point!

Hey Lanky, before you get angry, look at Clemens on pitchingclips.com… When he was with Boston, or with Toronto, look at his arm at release. It may surprise you. Look at the golden boy Lincecum for that matter as well.

LankyLefty, I didnt know you meant at release point, how is having a higher arm slot bad? I think what Oleary means is at this point in the delivery:

Joba, I want you to look at a pic of lincecum and clemens at release, then I want you to look at a pic of your arm slot. While lincecum is throwing the ball from roughly the same angle, notice how extreme his trunk lean is, and how his elbow is still pretty much lined up with his shoulders. You have almost an upright trunk, trying to throw from same arm slot as lincecum. In fact, your video is almost painful to watch.

You are correct sir!

So your telling me Lanky that your elbow is supposed to be below your shoulder at release? I think that most people would disagree with this, and I think you’d be hardpressed to find any big leaguer that has something around a 3/4 arm angle with the elbow below the shoulder at release.

So your telling me Lanky that your elbow is supposed to be below your shoulder at release? I think that most people would disagree with this, and I think you’d be hardpressed to find any big leaguer that has something around a 3/4 arm angle with the elbow below the shoulder at release.

Lanky Lefty: The reason why my back isnt bent much is because I wasnt pitching, I was just throwing the ball to look at my arm action. Maybe I should post a behind view because my shoulders do tilt quite a bit, kinda like Lincecum. But from this view its impossible to tell whether I tilt my shoulders a lot.

If I showed you a front or behind view it might look like this:
[/img]

ok a front view would be ever better.

Ok Ill get one tommorrow

elbow is pretty high, everything e;se is flawless

I think there is always confusion with O’Leary says that the elbow should be lower than the shoulders (plural). While this statement is true, I still think that most pitching instructors are talking about keeping the elbow at the height of their shoulder (singular). And these coaches are talking about getting the elbow to the height where the shoulder normally sits when standing up straight, not where the shoulders are during the pitching motion.

I think what Hammer is true, but (without putting words into his mouth) I think he’s talking about getting the elbow to the height of the shoulder where it normally sits.

The elbow is definitely below the level of the shoulders during release on pretty much every pitcher.

at 7 seconds look you elbow is bent at 90 degrees at release. I had the same problem it means you pushing the ball instead of throwing it this puts extra stress on you elbow causing major pain, But hey i may be wrong