MY 8 yr old throws very hard and need advise!

I AM SORRY GENTLEMEN! I told my husband last night that I posted his videos of our son on YouTube and in here and lets just say HE WAS NOT VERY HAPPY! I didn’t mean to discredit my son Justis, I’m just a proud mom. I watch all these other 9 yr olds that he plays with at 8 and I truly think it’s amazing of how he’s progressed into a very well rounded ball player at such a young age. I was told if I post on here it is for advice purposes only. So please give any advice to what can help my son for his future with out having to pull him off the mound which would kill him. Again I’m sorry If anyone feels my post wasted their time in anyway because that was not what I intended…

Regards, :roll:

His video link is here on youtube… http://youtu.be/KOjdn5X5ukU

Lisa, a link would help.
Keep in mind that you will always see the extreme end of the pendulum, in other words, a young kid “can” throw hard, I would say that the entirety of those who do “throw hard”, throw nearly everyday, without prompting…they throw just about everything…it can quite certainly drive you nuts.
If he sees a vid of some really cool skateboarding kid who looks like him…or for that matter little 8 yr old Tiger Woods blowing a golf ball further than a little boy had any business hitting one…he may want to do or be that too. Kids are great…I know I sure liked being one…even though I say youth is wasted on the young :lol:
Best to allow him to experiment and find what he likes…most experts I’ve run across recommend the young ones getting a well rounded athletic upbringing…my boy was in martial arts and baseball and was very into paintball (A bit later) and he’s thrown a ball hard since he was 18 months old…though he didn’t actually pitch in a game until he was 11 (I wouldn’t say the fastest but in the top percentile). Let him play, pay attention continue to educate yourself…and just enjoy all the fun…as long as you and he don’t get involved in some of the crazy travel teams out there (Playing more games per year than grown men will be your 1st clue) there isn’t much chance he will injure himself at this stage.

Thank you and I agree with you. Here is the link to the young boys video. http://youtu.be/9qR1kvCcDIY

1. That kid is not 8.

2. That’s not 66 mph; not even close.

I agree he doesn’t look 8 or throw like an 8 yr old. I do believe that the mph is correct. I have been around baseball for years with my oldest in college but not playing anymore and when watching a pitcher from the side, if the ball has an arch from 46’ then the speed is below 45 mph and if you can’t even see the ball then it is above 60 mph. Why would they lie? Anyways thanks for the response

you can’t believe everything you see on youtube…lol. i’m pretty skeptical. 8? seriously? i’d have to see it in person.

i wouldn’t be surprised by this actually. Some kids start to hit their growth spurts and then hit puberty sooner. Maybe by 12 this kid will be 6’, 150 lbs, and shaving. :shock: just saying, genetics play a huge role in who throws the hardest at first, but I believe that eventually hard work is a larger contributing factor. Both combined together provides a deadly amount of success.

yeah…i guess you never know. he does look like a pretty good sized kid. and mechanicly speaking, he looks far better than your average 8 year old. idk…its a little far fetched but its possible.

Well there will always be phenoms, prodigies, the exceptions. It’s why I mentioned El Tigre, he looked like this little angelic kid…who likely was getting his lunch money lifted daily by some beefy kid :shock: except he hit that lil white ball sooooo far. I hope this kid enjoys what ever the game brings him.

WTH!! I have seen and met this kid in Mantecas Big League Dreams in Februarys NIT tournament. He is fricken 8 yrs old and he throws gaaas with an exceptional change up and no curves. Everyone calls him Tisi and I have met his dad and mom. Dad is 6-5 and is a pitching coach and mom is Tongan. WOW I KNOW THIS KID!!! And he is for real and plays on multiple travel teams. If I remember correctly his home team is West Coast Federals 9U and are like #4 in the country in USSSA rankings for 9U AA. He is a beast and all the teams try and recruit him but his dad doesn’t have any of it. Love to see a local kid doing big things

No way the 66 mph is correct. I have coached and managed 8-12 year olds for years and there’s no way that’s 66 mph from 46’. If it is, then my 9 and 10 year olds throw 70+ mph (which they don’t). That kid’s ball drops noticeably as it reaches the plate - something it wouldn’t do at 66 mph.

Have you never seen YouTube? The place is full of kids boasting that they throw 70 at 10 years of age. It’s quite funny actually.

Hey look! … YouTube says “13 year old throws low 70 mph”! … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU46xsqbB9c&feature=related … Oh, wait … the radar gun in the back says 62 … :rolllaugh:

This one is good too … “Amazing 93 mph Pitch by a 13-year-old” … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP9GQ8ASp6s&NR=1&feature=fvwp

And can you believe this chubby little 8 year old throws 61 mph? … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDO_2LJKiCY

My, why aren’t MLB teams recruiting these YouTube phenoms? :rolllaugh:

Retract! Although i don’t know this youngster personally, first of all he is the real deal. Did you watch the strikeout pitch against the second batter? That is puuuure gaaaas. I have watched him in 10U tounaments as an 8 in Sacramento while throwing 4 shutout innings against my team!!! He has an incredible changeup and his fastball is off the charts and frankly, the video doesn’t do him justice. No pun intended. He is a beast of an 8 yr old pitcher where every damm team in the Bay Area wants him but he is also an incredible short stop and switch hitter. Bottom line, I know his dad would not post some BS about his son and everytime I see one of his teams entered into a tourney, I cringe and think of this kid… Remember this video because I gaurantee he will be in the draft out of high school… Maybe your 9-10 yr old are not as advanced at this youngster and should be humbled by this kid because you will start to hear his name throughout the country very soon… I LOVE TRAVEL BALL!!!

Wow!

Here’s “The Best 9 Yr Old Pitcher in New Jersey”!!! And the opening credits assure us he is “The Next Sandy Koufax”!!!

That kid is throwing some gaaaaaaas, huh? … I’d say 70 mph!!! … Easy!!!

:lol:

bushnell gun $90.00 put it in front of the camera and let us see it. he does throw hard for 8 but i have a gun, and gun every team we play and our team to check for them falling off… just this weekend i gunned at a 12 u tourney saw alot of 62-64 mph and they definately appear to be much faster and flatter. saw 3 kids at 72-74 on the same team and they are by far the fastest 12 yr olds we will play this yr. i have kids on really good travel teams for the last 13 years or so, if hes throwing 66 he is wayyyyyyy ahead of his age group by about 12-14 mph, it would be quite remarkable

go to youtube and search top 10 plays of little league world series, 1/3 of the way thru there is a kid throwing 63 it shows it on the screen it much flatter and quicker to the plate. and if your with me there bumped up a couple of mph to make good tv

[quote=“south paw”]Wow!

Here’s “The Best 9 Yr Old Pitcher in New Jersey”!!! And the opening credits assure us he is “The Next Sandy Koufax”!!!

That kid is throwing some gaaaaaaas, huh? … I’d say 70 mph!!! … Easy!!!

:lol:[/quote]

Incredible! Now that I compare my son with the next Sandy Koufax, I believe he was throwing over 90 mph at 9.

:roll:

[quote=“south paw”]Hey look! … YouTube says “13 year old throws low 70 mph”! … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU46xsqbB9c&feature=related … Oh, wait … the radar gun in the back says 62 … :rolllaugh:

This one is good too … “Amazing 93 mph Pitch by a 13-year-old” … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP9GQ8ASp6s&NR=1&feature=fvwp

And can you believe this chubby little 8 year old throws 61 mph? … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDO_2LJKiCY

My, why aren’t MLB teams recruiting these YouTube phenoms? :rolllaugh:[/quote]

Funny, dude :lol:

[quote=“south paw”]
No way the 66 mph is correct. I have coached and managed 8-12 year olds for years and there’s no way that’s 66 mph from 46’. If it is, then my 9 and 10 year olds throw 70+ mph (which they don’t). That kid’s ball drops noticeably as it reaches the plate - something it wouldn’t do at 66 mph. [/quote]

Not a chance he’s throwing 66. My son at 8 had no arch on his pitches, and he may be hitting 66 at 11 - and he’s considered “special”. This kid does have tremendous form for 8, and assuming his arm last throughout his youth, maybe we will see him some day in the Majors.

To hear how many teams and amount at his age, I’m hoping he decides on SS and gets off the mound until he’s at least past puberty…cuz if it keeps up like this…he’ll be an accountant…there is literally no way he’ll make it even into his mid teens before someone is moving ligaments around this poor kids body. I don’t care if his old man is the Yankees pitching coach…loading him up like this, at this age, is irresponsible…(I know, he loves it and has never had an arm issue…blah, blah blah…he’s friggen 8 yrs old).