My 8 year old

This is his first year pitching, and these are from his first travel game.
4 K’s
1 BB
2 hits
1 run
41 pitches
2 innings

Comments on mechanics welcome!

I think he looks generally good, but two things bother me about this photo…

First, I think his Pitching Arm Side elbow is a little high. Was he taught to do that? I would prefer that his PAS elbow was just below the level of the shoulders, which is what Greg Maddux does.

Second, he seems to by trying to show the ball to 2B/CF. Was he taught to do that? I think this is bad advice, and isn’t what most HOFers do. Instead, they show the ball to 3B or SS.

Yes, he was generally taught to make an L, get the arm up and show the ball to CF.

What are the negatives of this?

[quote=“rndhad”]Yes, he was generally taught to make an L, get the arm up and show the ball to CF.

What are the negatives of this?[/quote]

Getting the PAS elbow up too high can lead to shoulder problems. Showing the ball to CF can lead to elbow problems, specifically pain on the inside of the elbow.

Given his age, I would watch out for elbow pain.

Also, the best pitchers in the world (e.g. Greg Maddux) do not do this. Here is a photo of Greg Maddux at the high cocked position.

Thanks Chris.
The last thing I want, is for him to get hurt. We’ll work on it and post the progress down the road…

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Getting the PAS elbow up too high can lead to shoulder problems. Showing the ball to CF can lead to elbow problems, specifically pain on the inside of the elbow.[/quote]There really is no hard and fast evidence that either of these is the actual cause of what Chris is seeing regarding injury rates. The pics shown are also just snapshots in time with respect to the elbow level also. I believe the source of the problems are elsewhere. Here we go again, eh Chris? :smiley:

This spring I have worked with multiple younger kids who had inner elbow pain. In nearly every case they showed the ball to CF (because that’s what they were taught to do). When I had them stop showing the ball to CF, their elbow pain went away.

Also, I believe in teaching kids to emulate the great pitchers of the past (and present) That means Maddux, Ryan, Clemens, etc. None of them show(ed) the Ball to CF. Instead, they showed the ball to SS/3B.

Showing the ball to CF is a very common piece of advice that is based on a misunderstanding of what a pitcher’s arm does when they throw the ball. Guys who advocate showing the ball to CF, typically do not understand…

1. That a pitcher’s PAS upper arm externally rotates as their shoulders turn.
  2. That a pitcher’s PAS elbow is extended at the release point.

Also, and as with the Inverted W, I have never come across a kid who came up with the idea of showing the ball to CF on their own. Instead, they were taught to do that.

What I am doing is simply undoing a bad (and fundamentally flawed) teaching point and taking them back to what’s natural (and what HOF pitchers do).

I do agree that showing the ball to CF has no value and is not what high level pitchers actually do. I haven’t seen enough evidence that supports the contention that there is a direct cause and effect relationship with respect to elbow problems. As with all pitching related injuries, there are a host of potential reasons.

from personal experience, I was experimenting a year ago with showing the ball to center field and noticed immediate stress on my elbow. Very noticeable … so obviously I ditched that idea.

The kid looks good though. Pretty nice balance out there. Looks like maybe he cuts his follow through a bit short.

I’m fine with this.

If I had my druthers, people wouldn’t teach hand position since most people tend to do it right naturally.

IOW, it’s a non-teach.

I think this is due to the shorter stride, and don’t think it’s a big deal.