My 11 year old pitching

Here is some video of my 11 year old. He doesn’t have the velocity that other pitchers seem to have but I can count on him throwing strikes. He throws 4seam fastball and a “palm” changeup. Can any one advise?

What-a-ham :lol:
I’d lose the slide step, he doesn’t need it now.
I like his wind-up best…work for consistancy right now, repeatable, fundemental throwing…don’t let him change his delivery everytime he gets a little uncomfortable. Work on keeping him from slinging his front arm/glove. He looks strong and confident…and having fun…try to keep it that way and it will all work out nice.

Wind up does look much better than stretch…if he could repeat his action in the stretch I think he would be more effective. Advice…well work some glove side mechanics, pull the glove to the chest or under the left arm so that he is not just throwing the ball with the right arm but also pulling the ball through with the left arm.

i noticed, that from the stretch, and im not an expert at this, so i could be wrong, but from the stretch, it apperars that he is throwing short-arm. i think that if you can get him to extend his arm more from the stretch, then he may throw faster. but im not sure, im new at this

:smiley:

My take on stretch throwing is yes absolutely he needs a repeatable mech also from the stretch, but if he is a starter and stays a starter and is functional and strong from a wind-up, he may as well continue with it because he’ll be doing it as he progresses

use legs in stretch too

Two posters have already mentioned your son’s glove side action. I would like to join them in pointing out the glove side as something that most definitely your son needs to improve.

jd suggested that he ‘stop slinging the glove side backward’ and buwhite suggested that he ‘pull the glove in’ during his motion.

jd is certainly correct although I don’t think his comment really tells you how to replace your son’s current glove-side action.

buwhite’s comment suggests that your son’s glove side needs correction; however, it is flawed advice to “pull the glove into the body”. This is one of those common wisdoms that result from the fact that some parts of the pitching motion are so rapid it is hard to decipher what’s going on just by watching good pitchers.

High-speed motion analysis of many hundreds of pitchers shows that right after footstrike the vast majority of elite pitchers swivel their glove hand into a stable position somewhere out in front, usually somewhere over their stride foot, and bring their torso forward to the glove during the launch of a pitch.

To the unaided eye, this is very hard to distinguish from “pulling the glove into the torso”. But, the consequences of the two motions are very different in terms of useful momentum that can be directed toward the target.

Here are some sobering thoughts:

Your son’s current ultra-soft glove-side control is not commonly seen among pitchers beyond Little League level.

“Pulling the glove into the body” is not commonly seen beyond high school level.

There is tremendous negative selection pressure against those mechanical traits, the higher you go in baseball. The sooner your son develops good mechanical habits, the less he will have to work on remediation later. Unfortunately, the brutal weeding-out process in baseball leaves many kids with deeply ingrained poor habits more-or-less out of the running, even if they are willing to remediate.

Dad, your son is going to do just fine… he has that confidence and swagger to him that is the corner stone of a great crowd pleaser… and a ball player that’ll learn quickly.

What he lacks in know-how he’ll more than make up for in …“hey coach, I gotta question for ya.”

He’ll also be aggessive later on… I can tell from his current personality.

So, as he grows, so will his look-see at others in the game that he admires. He’ll try somethings… take what he wants and …leaves the rest.

I’ve seen kids like this for years and I can tell you from just looking at a few frames… he’s going to do fine in whatever he does.

The personality trait is… his happyness. He’s enjoying what he’s doing. That is a big plus… even bigger that perfect-this-or-that.

When he’s about 14 he’ll start to come into his own… so a lot can happen between now and then. JD gave you some great starting points, and so did laflippin… and the others too. Just go slow and easy with the boy… and you’ll both have an experience that will carry you dad for the rest of your life.

Coach B.

Very well said, Coach Baker!

I usually recommend a fundemental throwing drill here…I had just made the same recommendation to 3 other pitchers…duh!
Not glove to chest it’s chest to glove…moving the torso towards a stable glove that goes thumb down to thumb up.

I love a kid that is like this…just a goof with a swagger…Going to have lots of heart…ala David Wells/John Kruk. :wink: