My 11 year old brother

Okay, my brother pitches and he is 11 years old. I know my fair share of pitching mechanics as well. I was just asking is there a drill he can work on to be more accurate besides slowing his pitches down? He has some control but how can he “make pitches” so to speak. He will find out his top speed in a week, but about 6 months ago he threw 56 mph in 3 pitches without being warmed up. I don’t mean to brag about him but he is viewed in his league as the best pitcher, but he’s not. But when his mechanics are how they should be (footstrike, striding instead of stepping, turning his numbers toward the catcher) he is very successful.
If you guys can give me any feedback that would be amazing.
Thanks.

These are his mechanics in a tournament he played in, Grosse Pointe against Grosse Pointe Wood Shores, (they’re one of the best teams) and gave up 2 runs through 2 1/3 with 40 something pitches.

Same video as before, slowed down and zoomed in.

Here’s something I used to do when I was a little snip, and I can’t think of a better way to sharpen up one’s control. I would get a catcher, and we would go to an unused playing field, and I would take the mound while he set up behind the plate with his mitt. We would then play a little game we called “ball and strike”, in which he would position his mitt in various places, high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head! :lol:—and I would work on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt—actually throwing through the mitt, rather than just at it. I did this with all my pitches, such as they were at the beginning, and at different speeds (I wasn’t what you’d call fast but I could change speeds to some extent), and because I was a natural sidearmer I used the crossfire. It was a terrific workout and a lot of fun, and we would go at it for an hour at a time, three days a week.
We would also get someone to stand in the batter’s box so I could really zero in on the strike zone. When your brother is doing this you can also watch him and make sure he’s straight with his mechanics. And then watch his smoke! 8)

In addition to what Zita said, watch your brother’s head and try to eliminate head movement in any direction except towards home plate.

I’ll post a video within the hour, so anyone can rate his mechanics. But that day he wasn’t striding, he kept leading with his leg instead of his hips. He does keep his head straight though.

[quote=“Zita Carno”]Here’s something I used to do when I was a little snip, and I can’t think of a better way to sharpen up one’s control. I would get a catcher, and we would go to an unused playing field, and I would take the mound while he set up behind the plate with his mitt. We would then play a little game we called “ball and strike”, in which he would position his mitt in various places, high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head! :lol:—and I would work on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt—actually throwing through the mitt, rather than just at it. I did this with all my pitches, such as they were at the beginning, and at different speeds (I wasn’t what you’d call fast but I could change speeds to some extent), and because I was a natural sidearmer I used the crossfire. It was a terrific workout and a lot of fun, and we would go at it for an hour at a time, three days a week.
We would also get someone to stand in the batter’s box so I could really zero in on the strike zone. When your brother is doing this you can also watch him and make sure he’s straight with his mechanics. And then watch his smoke! 8)[/quote]

He does this usually pitching 50-60 pitches if it’s decent weather.