My 10 year old

There is a Gif of Roger clemens on the front page of this site that is the look we are trying to get. I would post a pic of the Gif but I dont know how.

Thanks Peavy Maybe You could come pitch for the SF Giant’s :smiley:

Thanks Peavy Maybe You could come pitch for the SF Giant’s :D[/quote]

Sorry I’m already going to the Yankees ( :pray: )

Sorry I’m already going to the Yankees ( :pray: )[/quote]

Good We will take CC Sabathia :shock:

Sorry I’m already going to the Yankees ( :pray: )[/quote]

Good We will take CC Sabathia :shock:[/quote]

Sorry we got both. Plus Tex.

(seriously we could … maybe not Tex but Sabathia and Peavy are possible … Sabathia and Burnett/Lowe is more likely but hey, ya never know)

:hijack: (partly by the creator :smiley: )

Here is a different look He throws alot of strikes but I think His ball has less movement coming so far over the top.

I think that at his age, movement isn’t nearly as important (or important at all, virtually) as velocity.

I think that at his age, movement isn’t nearly as important (or important at all, virtually) as velocity.[/quote]

DS you know what it’s like in that age group - LL Minors - any kid who throws over 50% strikes is a successful pitcher. Any kid who throws hard and throws strikes is a dominant pitcher. Any kid who can do all that and change speeds a little is an all-star. Your kid is all of that.

Dsmith,

Your cue to “look down the elbow” does seem to get your son to keep his glove arm up in front a bit longer which appears to keep him closed longer. So there is some benefit there. However, I would also have him get the glove arm extended to match the throwing arm instead of bending the rm back and leading with the elbow. I know some coaches teach leading with the elbow. But it’s been my experience that the bent elbow can lead to a glove arm action that is too quick resulting in early shoulder rotation (because once the glove arm does its thing, the shoulders want to follow). Extending the glove arm more forces it to take more time and that helps with timing - staying closed longer and rotating later.

Here is the latest installment He is throwing lot’s of strikes

Nice. Strikes are really all that matter at that age.

However (and I really noticed this in the 2nd and 3rd pitches of the top video), have him come to a set with his glove at the chest longer. The 2nd pitch and possibly 3rd would’ve been called balks in the MLB. Also, it gives him a less rushed delivery and a smoother one.

I see in this young man a very common issue. Watch how his back knee flies out to his right as the centre of gravity moves over there also after release. This, to me, indicates a truncation of hip rotation along with a lack of momentum toward the plate. If you watch video of pros, you’ll notice that, during the stride, the back knee turns down and in (don’t confuse this with pulling forward and in toward the other knee). I believe this move plays a role in the rotational exercise but there are those (NPA) who believe it’s a result of hip rotation only. Regardless, it’s always there when good hip rotation happens. This pitcher doesn’t get there. Notice how his centre of gravity moves to his right, as opposed to going toward the target.

Very good point what is the fix for that ? and are there any drills ?

No real drills specifically for this. It’s a matter of his getting a mental picture of what he needs to do. As he practices pitching from a mound, just have him think about full hip rotation with the back knee turning under as much as possible.

Right on the money DM. This is the only real issue I see. I think it is also the cause of some of the postural issues. I think he might be overcompensating with his upper body trying to pull everything back “on line”.

I know something with His leg looks odd. Can someone explain in more detail is it More Hip rotation?

Yes, that 's exactly what it is. Get him toifocus on that and, simultaneously, turning the back knee under. Spin it.

he looks pretty good. however i would have him move his head in a more direct manner to home plate. he kind of throws his head to the side, this causes him to lose accuracy. have him pretend he is sticking his nose into the catchers mitt.

Here is one of His ealier vidieos to compare

We Have Ben working on His Mechanics and I think it’s getting better any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KbnibZV_zM
[/youtube]