My 10 year old

Looking for some advice on Glove turn and body and arm position for My Son thanks here is a clip.

Here is a different view

He looks pretty good to me…although, on at least one delivery (2nd base view) he appeared to lose control of his glove-side. On most of the deliveries he seems to have very reasonable control over his glove-side action. Is that something you’ve coached him on? Either way, I believe you’ll find that his consistency in the strike zone may track along fairly closely with development of his current “best” glove-side action into a dependably repeatable part of his mechanics.

For more detail you might want to set up your vid cam on a tripod and place it at several different locations–3rd base, 1st base, 2nd base perspectives.

To see movement differences between the pitch types in 1-on-1 practice sessions I have also found it useful to set up the camera in the infield, about 15 feet behind and 5 feet to the pitcher’s throwing-arm side.

Set focus so that the pitcher and catcher are both in the field of view–either have the pitcher give standard glove-hand signals for what he is throwing, or have him call it out for the audio track.

[quote=“laflippin”]He looks pretty good to me…although, on at least one delivery (2nd base view) he appeared to lose control of his glove-side. On most of the deliveries he seems to have very reasonable control over his glove-side action. Is that something you’ve coached him on? Either way, I believe you’ll find that his consistency in the strike zone may track along fairly closely with development of his current “best” glove-side action into a dependably repeatable part of his mechanics.

Glove side turn is what We are working on.We watched some pro pitchers the other day and it clicked for Him now We need to make it routine so He does not have to think about it. I wish there was a camera angle to show the movement on the ball.

2 things, he seems to be rushing to throw as many pitches as possible…I’d rather see 10 quality “normal speed” pitches than 20 in a hurry…also in the rear view his foot isn’t parrallel to the rubber…I’d ensure he did his ground work on the mound so he can comfortably throw. Those tiny things aside, he seems well trained and is on a solid looking road. What is the distance? I think if he wasn’t rushing (Though throwing in rhythm…don’t mistake that with aiming or deliberacy…pick up the sign, the target and deliver) he would have nice accuracy and likely consistantly hit his spots. I’m with La I only found his front side weak or out of control once and that looked like he lost balance.
Bet he’s a winner at 10. Keep having fun and let him enjoy it.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]2 things, he seems to be rushing to throw as many pitches as possible…I’d rather see 10 quality “normal speed” pitches than 20 in a hurry…also in the rear view his foot isn’t parrallel to the rubber…I’d ensure he did his ground work on the mound so he can comfortably throw. Those tiny things aside, he seems well trained and is on a solid looking road. What is the distance? I think if he wasn’t rushing (Though throwing in rhythm…don’t mistake that with aiming or deliberacy…pick up the sign, the target and deliver) he would have nice accuracy and likely consistantly hit his spots. I’m with La I only found his front side weak or out of control once and that looked like he lost balance.
Bet he’s a winner at 10. Keep having fun and let him enjoy it.[/quote]

Thanks he just turned 10 Sept 1st I think It’s 45’. I agree he tends to work fast in games as well. He has a big frame He is 4’10" and weighs #105.His foot was slipping on the mound front foot.

Along the lines of jd’s comment about his post foot–I think part of the problem might be that hole on the front-right side of the rubber (rear view).

Those holes are far too common on LL mounds, but anyone who is serious about developing high-quality repeatable mechanics should take care to fix them.

When I coached in LL (didn’t happen very often, I don’t really have the right temperment for it–LOL) I occasionally called time and insisted that the mound be fixed. It didn’t always make me real popular… (more LOL).

It never ceased to amaze me that some kids spent a lot of time digging out a hole in front of the rubber on purpose, as if they specifically wanted to pitch while standing in a hole. Reminds me of a particular Monty Python episode, “Scott of the Antarctic” wherein some of the actors would only say their lines if they were standing in a trench…

Our league is finishing up fall ball as You can imagine with 2 good fields they get a lot of use. We have gone out and repaired the mounds and the batters boxes and at the end of the game they are beat up again.I coach as well as attend Board meetings and mound repair is on Our agenda. Next is travel ball :shock:

Was exactly my point…do the landscaping and it will really help.
Smitty I don’t mind working in a manner that doesn’t waste time…I actually recommend it…he just seems to be in a hurry…i.e. not consistently going to the same spot on the rubber, getting relaxed and set…then delivering…imo it’s important to get squared away to the same spot every time for repeatabilities sake…
La your analogy reminds me of another Python moment from “Across the Andes by Frog”…just can’t relate it…
One of my favorites mirrored my lifes story…it was called “The Education of Eric Othwaite”…I’ll have to tell you about it sometime… :wink:

DSmith

I try to stay out of the Pitching Mechanics and Analysis thread because to be honest with you I don’t want to be responsible for screwing up the mechanics of a promising kid. I started with my kid at age seven and and at age 15 it took a dedicated pitching coach two years to get him to be at least acceptable mechanically. That’s why its great you are open minded enough to search for advice this early.

That said, watching your vid made me a little nostalgic. Your job should you decide to accept it is to create an atmosphere that will allow him to enjoy the game yet develop respect for the art of pitching. Something I always said to my kid when we would butt heads. Hey kid, “Your dream not mine, right?” It always amazes me how much work it takes to become a decent pitcher. Maybe some day you’ll get to the point where you’re a little scared to get back there behind the plate and let him chuck high eighties fastballs at you. Actually it’s the slider that got me…still got the lump on my shin. :ughh:

Good Luck. I gotta say I’m a little jealous.

[quote=“Dino”]DSmith

I try to stay out of the Pitching Mechanics and Analysis thread because to be honest with you I don’t want to be responsible for screwing up the mechanics of a promising kid. I started with my kid at age seven and and at age 15 it took a dedicated pitching coach two years to get him to be at least acceptable mechanically. That’s why its great you are open minded enough to search for advice this early.

That said, watching your vid made me a little nostalgic. Your job should you decide to accept it is to create an atmosphere that will allow him to enjoy the game yet develop respect for the art of pitching. Something I always said to my kid when we would butt heads. Hey kid, “Your dream not mine, right?” It always amazes me how much work it takes to become a decent pitcher. Maybe some day you’ll get to the point where you’re a little scared to get back there behind the plate and let him chuck high eighties fastballs at you. Actually it’s the slider that got me…still got the lump on my shin. :ughh:

Good Luck. I gotta say I’m a little jealous.[/quote]

My Nephew is 23 and He was drafted 11Th round By the Giants He is in instructional league in Arizona right now. When He was 10 We played catch at all the family get together when he was a senior in high school We played our last game of catch he is now 6’5" and weighs #240 and His Velo is 98 mph butt He works 93 to 96

Golly-jee-willickers (that’s right jd…I said it…or should I use reprobate?) he throws 98. Potential star right there, he’s got the raw talent they just need to get him to major-league level.

Golly-jee-willickers (that’s right jd…I said it…or should I use reprobate?) he throws 98. Potential star right there, he’s got the raw talent they just need to get him to major-league level.[/quote]

Here is some of His stats from Salem Short season He was a reliever at UC Davis and is slated to be a set Guy or closer.Buster poesy was in Hawaii but has Ben brought back to Arizona instructional league with Justin and Madison Baumgardner.

With young kids like this, I feel that posture and glove management are the two biggest concerns. That you are working on the glove is excellent. But I would suggest also working on eliminating the postural issue that is the leaning to the glove side. Try to get him to keep his head upright and take it only towards the target.

would like to see a side view from the 3rd base side before i comment. he looks pretty good. there is something i think he is doing but i need to see a side view.

He needs to slow down first off all get some rhythm.

We are working on slowing His tempo between pitches . He was falling off to one side and coming over the top with His arm We will make another video soon with the new changes. :smiley:

Sounds good, but a little tip: Don’t overload him with too much mechanics at his age. I remember when I was that young trying to learn some mechanical things and some times it was like trying to learn arabic. It can get tough. Goodluck

EDIT: deleted content because Dsmith got the hint

Currently We are trying to get Nick’s head to the target he has a tendency to drop His head to the first base side and his arm comes Way over the top.

What’s wrong with dropping his head to help clear for the arm slot?

If he naturally feels that he likes to throw up there then let him. If he didn’t clear his head he would be like a windmill.

I’m not the best though, so I’d wait for further comment.