Ms and Ws?

What does it mean when someone talks about an M and a W in relation to pitching?

It just describes the arm action of a pitcher. Pitchers arms form a w or an m during the windup.

and M or a W? how is that possible? i know its how they move their arm, but give me and example of an M or a W pitcher.

I am certainly not an expert on this, but here is one example of the “inverted w” or m.

I’ve heard the inverted W causes arm problems, see Mark Prior.

That is Chris O’Leary’s theory.

I’m pretty sure I throw with a W. It seems like an inverted W would hurt my arm. Maby I’ll try it sometime and see if it helps me. That reminds me I still need to get an updated video of myself. Sometime…

That is Chris O’Leary’s theory.[/quote]

I’ve read Chris’ posts on other boards, so I’m familiar with his theory.

I tried it for a few pitches. It felt awkward and I wasn’t at the same velocity when I threw with a W. Then again it could be just the getting used to it, but i didn’t like it.

That is Chris O’Leary’s theory.[/quote]

I’ve read Chris’ posts on other boards, so I’m familiar with his theory.[/quote]

Then you also know it’s Chris’s theory that the “M” is what caused Prior’s injury.

My point, of course, is that it is nothing more than a theory. Though I will admit it is an interesting theory and, because of its ramifications, is something worth paying attention to.

gotcha…i definitely throw with an inverted W (or M?) and i tore my labrum last summer…im not sure if that could be why (i was also a converted catcher and had terrible mechanics) but its defintely some food for thought. thanks everyone.

You know I was just remembering a pro tryout I attended a while ago. After one of the pitchers before me was clocked one of the scouts running the pitchers called him over and told him “If you continue throwing the way you do you’ll wreck your arm” and sure enough he was throwing with an inverted W.