MRI Negative, Yet Shoulder Still Kills

Well, I’m a senior in high school right now and have been playing ball since I was 5. Never had any significant injuries my entire lifetime. At the beginning of last spring, my right shoulder was bothering me a little bit when I threw. I was still able to, but i just felt I lost a lot of velocity, which my coach noticed too. Now, I’ve been getting ready again for the season and it is killing me. I’ve gotten an MRI, negative. My orthopedist and doctor also did not notice any injury to it. Yet when I try to pitch (after stretching, even gave a couple weeks off), I struggle to reach the plate. When i do, it is no where close to how fast I used to throw and hurts my arm a lot. I couldn’t even reach 7 pitches today.

Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this???

If so, please let me know because tryouts are around the corner.

[quote=“XxBobbyxX24”]Well, I’m a senior in high school right now and have been playing ball since I was 5. Never had any significant injuries my entire lifetime. At the beginning of last spring, my right shoulder was bothering me a little bit when I threw. I was still able to, but i just felt I lost a lot of velocity, which my coach noticed too. Now, I’ve been getting ready again for the season and it is killing me. I’ve gotten an MRI, negative. My orthopedist and doctor also did not notice any injury to it. Yet when I try to pitch (after stretching, even gave a couple weeks off), I struggle to reach the plate. When i do, it is no where close to how fast I used to throw and hurts my arm a lot. I couldn’t even reach 7 pitches today.

Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this???

If so, please let me know because tryouts are around the corner.[/quote]

The chances of us figuring that out aren’t very high. I would like to hear about it, though. First off, you need to list the symptoms.

Where does it hurt? When does it hurt? By that I mean when during the motion does it hurt? Does it hurt when at release? Does it hurt when the arm lays back into ER? Does it hurt if you put pressure on it, etc…?

My recommendation is to post on the ASMI forums: HERE
http://asmiforum.proboards21.com/index.cgi#baseball
They will be able to help you most.

If I were you, I’d fly down to Birmingham, Alabama, to see Dr. Andrews. He will definitely be able to diagnose you.

[quote=“XxBobbyxX24”]Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this???

If so, please let me know because tryouts are around the corner.[/quote]

Do you have any video of yourself pitching?

I visited an orthopedist who went through the various tests and did not find anything wrong. The only thing was when he pushed my arm backwards, while I was laying down, I felt pain.

When in the windup, i feel pain when my arm gets to above shoulder level, and as it comes over the top until my release. It’s hard to pinpoint where but it’s more to the lateral side of my shoulder.

My last resort is physical therapy, but I am not sure if it will leave me prepared in a month. I do not have a video, sorry. Thanks for the replies so far and I will try that other site too.

did you have a mri with injection, a MRA i think. its when they give you a shot to put fluid into the spot before the mri to show tears more clearly. many tears will go unnoticed on normal mri’s.

[quote=“XxBobbyxX24”]I visited an orthopedist who went through the various tests and did not find anything wrong. The only thing was when he pushed my arm backwards, while I was laying down, I felt pain.

When in the windup, i feel pain when my arm gets to above shoulder level, and as it comes over the top until my release. It’s hard to pinpoint where but it’s more to the lateral side of my shoulder.

My last resort is physical therapy, but I am not sure if it will leave me prepared in a month. I do not have a video, sorry. Thanks for the replies so far and I will try that other site too.[/quote]

Well, if you have surgery it’s gonna be longer than a month. You would have to get a script for P.T. from the doctor, though. That shouldn’t be much of a problem considering you can’t throw.

Good luck, keep us updated.

All I can do is relate my experience on this. My senior year of college I had a drop in velocity (2-3 mph) for no apparent reason. No pain or soreness. After the season my shoulder blew apart in a summer league game.

My original MRI and subsequent arthrogram showed only a fraying of the rotator cuff but my ortho knew there was more. He went in to take care of the cuff and once he got in he could see the labrum was also torn.

The labrum is very tough to see on an MRI and even an arthorgram. The pain you are describing, along with the loss in velocity, sounds very similar to me. Again, none of us can tell for sure, you need to work with your docs. But don’t assume because an MRI came back negative that everything is fine. Get it taken care of before you air it out.

did the pain gradually get worse and worse or did it just all the sudden blow up like rbish said?

Thanks so far guys for the input. After reading RBish11’s comment, I did some research on types of labrum injuries. This type known as a “SLAP Tear of the Shoulder,” is the most common one resulting in overhand throwing. Now looking back, I should’ve gotten an injection of contrast, because it says this type goes unnoticed frequently in MRI scans. Here’s the article on it:

You should take a look at what Phil Donley, Eric Cressey, and Gray Cook have done concerning SLAP and GIRD. I’m not sure if it is too late, but there are several specific stretches that they use (sleeper stretch) that have shown good results.

By the way,
Donley works with the Phillies.

Thanks sterrell, I’ll check out the vid on youtube. As of now, I am involved in a physical therapy program aimed at strengthening my right shoulder. I have specific stretches that are part of a pitchers training program from the Red Sox (my therapist went to school with either a past or current Red Sox trainer). I’m excited to keep this going for already I feel more fluid and loose in my shoulder. I aim to start throwing again later this week.