Mr. Ellis

I just wondering what you were able to throw in your high school years from your freshman to senior year and what you did to increase your velocity. Thanks.

2 words, Private Message.

That’s actually a good question Lincecum55.

Pustulio, think about how much that topic is discussed on this site, why not ask the man who founded the site?

I don’t recall seeing that info posted anywhere’s.

Was 78 mph as a high school freshman.
Was 82 as a hs sophomore.
Was 84-85 as a hs junior.
Was 85-88 as a hs senior.

Hit 90 mph for the first time on a gun the summer of my sophomore year in college.

Hit 96 mph and was 93-94 mph by my junior year in college.

Was consistently 93-95 in my three years in pro ball, in the Chicago Cubs organization.

Some notes about my training in high school:

1. I quit basketball my 8th grade year, which opened up the winters to workout, throw, and prepare for the baseball season. I still played soccer in the fall, when I didn’t do any baseball-related activity.

2. I worked out at the gym (with weights) before school starting in 8th grade 3 to 4 days a week. Focused mostly on legs (squats/lunges) and shoulder (Jobes/tubing/5 lb. weights). Didn’t do bench press.

3. I threw 3 to 5 days a week every off-season starting in the 8th grade, usually after school in the gym of a nearby community college.

4. I ran all the time. Was doing mostly distance work – 2 to 3 miles a few times a week; more sprints probably would have been better – but I was always active, running.

5. Was the only kid on the block who didn’t have a Sega or Nintendo. Wasn’t allowed to hang out at the mall.

6. Didn’t drink in high school. Was always focused on the end-goal: making it to the big leagues.

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]5. Was the only kid on the block who didn’t have a Sega or Nintendo. Wasn’t allowed to hang out at the mall.
[/quote]

Oh the shame! That was probably a good thing.

Do you have a gaming console now? lol

Anyways, it looks like I’m a year behind your pace. I’m a sophomore and more around the 78 range.

“I still played soccer in the fall”

We gots names for folks who do that :tongue:
So your sister wouldn’t let you play with her dolls? (Oh boy am I gonna tick somebody off :lol: )

[quote=“jdfromfla”]“I still played soccer in the fall”

We gots names for folks who do that :tongue:
So your sister wouldn’t let you play with her dolls? (Oh boy am I gonna tick somebody off :lol: )[/quote]

No football?

In HS, I did FB Basketball, baseball my FR year
FB, Basketball, Baseball my SO year
FB, Baseball my JU year
and Basketball, Baseball my SO year.

How far did you throw each day? Right now I generally throw 110-130ft max each day and 170-200 for long toss every few days.