Movement vs Velocity

[quote=“Turn 22”][quote]What about guys like Lincecum or Sabathia who have a deliberate slowing or pause at their post leg before their arm moves upward. This action appears to be related to their timing and their overall arm action. If used as a timing mechanism, although maybe not ideal in a perfect world, shouldn’t it be considered acceptable
[/quote]

I’m sure Lincecum and Sabathia were really good when they were scouted. So good that their performance overshadowed the “imperfections”.

I believe that it doesn’t matter how you do it, as long as you get it done. (This does not apply to all situations.)

To get back on topic, I choose movement over velocity (partly because I don’t have much velocity) :wink:

Good point, but I don’t think the slight pause or slowing at the post leg is an imperfection. What I wrote was in response to another post.

I’m with you on movement. I believe thats what separates pitchers from throwers. :slight_smile:

But velocity separates the first rounders from the undrafteds. :wink:

You got me there. :slight_smile:

But really, isn’t 88-90 plus movement going to get noticed? Not being snarky, really want to know your opinion.

[quote=“Turn 22”]You got me there. :slight_smile:

But really, isn’t 88-90 plus movement going to get noticed? Not being snarky, really want to know your opinion.[/quote]

I didn’t take your comment as snarky at all.

Here’s a pro pitcher that I had the misfortune of taking at-bats against a long time ago.

Here’s how good he was:

At the time, Matt threw about 88-90 (he reportedly is around 91 in pro ball now). He dominated D-III ball about as hard as you can possibly do so.

Matt is 5’11" (listed as 6’0"; don’t believe it), right-handed, and had awesome movement on his pitches to go with plus-plus velocity at the D-III level (though below-average for pro ball).

You would think this kid was a slam-dunk for the draft.

Matt went undrafted and had to sign as a free agent with NYY. No one noticed him.

I spoke to an area scout here while watching one of my client’s team play a highly-ranked team in the area. One of the pitchers on the highly-ranked team was carving the hitters up with amazing secondary offerings - usually his slider. When I asked the scout what he thought about him, he said “He’s nothing special. What impresses me is seeing a kid with a big fastball who can command it in/out up/down. The best thing I can possibly see when I come to a game is to see a pitcher throw a complete game using only his fastball. Then I know he’s ready to make the jump.”

Kyleb,

Wow, thanks for the post. Interesting information.

:idea:

Kyleb, that is totally my thought process too, “You can pitch at the next level if you can get outs with fastballs!” all the rest is just to make you better.