Movement of fastballs

I was wondering if getting a lot of movement was all natural or if there are other things you can do to get more movement when throwing a two-seam fastball.

Most movement is coordinated in conjuction with the amount of natural pronation in your wrist. For some, this natural tendency to bend or rotate the wrist when delivering the baseball can create movement or a “tailing action”. This pronation is really just a result of your bone structure, so there really isn’t much to do about it. So to answer your question, movement on the ball is natural for the most part. Yes, maybe you could attempt to pronate your wrist, but it will probably just end up feeling rather awkward if you can’t do it in the first place. However, this means very little to a pitcher who can control a good two seam fastball, which is in its self a very effective and lively pitch. Your best bet is to work on the two seamer, and perfect it. Good Luck

I feel a lot of movement is natural. When I pitched, I had good movement on my fastball. Why I did not know, but I liked it. Today, 20 years later, when I pitch to my 8 year old, the movement is still there, and I try to curtail it a bit when pitching to him, but I can not. Could be wrong, but it seems the movement is natural.

Catching for some of my kids during Bullpen sessions I have noticed movement on my son’s fastball and another kid. His two seamer runs in on Righties and he gets many groundballs with this pitch. He throws a 4 seamer but the two seamer is the one that has the greater movement. Kids that throw for a higher arm slot do not get alot of movement on the 2 seam from what I have seen so far.