Mound trouble

ok so from flat ground I have no problems with arm action (inverted crap or short arming) but when I throw from a mound i do something messed up. Is there anyway to fix this (drills etc) or should I just get a vid up?

EDIT: forgot to mention it feels like inverted w but im not sure

it seems that when you get to the mound the slope throws you off balance. so you end up landing quicker and eventually short arming the ball. so if you work on staying balance (head over center of gravity, lead with the trunk during stride) you should be fine

Although this is harder and less convienient, I would advise taking the time to go to a mound and have what Leo Mazzone calls a “point session.” This is where you really just focuse on location and mechanics and get that repetition drilled into your brain. When you start feeling more comfortable, you take gradually start taking it up notches.

I don’t know how much you threw on flat compared to a mound, but you could have ingrained a certain muscle memory that isn’t helping you. I don’t really know what to say, because I’ve always practiced on flat without much trouble transitioning.

[quote=“futureKazmir”]ok so from flat ground I have no problems with arm action (inverted crap or short arming) but when I throw from a mound i do something messed up. Is there anyway to fix this (drills etc) or should I just get a vid up?

EDIT: forgot to mention it feels like inverted w but im not sure[/quote]maybe your just not used to pitching downhill like you should be…my advice would be simply to pitch on a mound more, get used to throwing on one if your not, and really stress throwing downhill when your on flatground…at my college, whenever we do warmup throwing or anything like that, we really stress throwing downhill, thats just my suggestion and thoughts to your problem

i have had the problem everyone else has “i throw good flatground but on a mound im no good” so i built a lil… under a foot high box. like in skateboarding, what i do is start crowhopping for warmup. when i go to the box i crowhop and land off the box but with back foot on it. this allows for mechanical fixing without having to deal with mound. i find it very helpful so leme know what you all think if you manage to build one. this is also a lil dangerous because of potential ankle sprains so work slow. hopefully ill get a video soon of me throwing and show you my training style, as soon as my elbow heals that is.

“tannerlorenz” and “jakejeckel” both have the right idea. In order to get used to throwing off a mound, you have to throw off a mound. Flat ground is good for when you’re working on a particular pitch or an aspect of mechanics, but then you have to get on the mound and do the same things you’ve been doing on the flat surface! And when you’re throwing from the mound, it’s a good idea to practice throwing from different heights, because that’s what you’ll encounter on different playing fields.
One important note: sinkerball pitchers have to make sure that the mound is high enough—there was one game where Chien-Ming Wang of the Yankees was pitching against the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium, and he ran into some trouble early on. Jorge Posada went out to the mound and told Wang to shorten his stride; the mound in Kansas City is lower and flatter than those at other ballparks, and for a sinkerball pitcher that can spell disaster! So Wang shortened his stride, and he pitched seven strong innings and got the win. 8) :baseballpitcher: