Motivating a young pitcher

My 14 y.o., 8th-grade son absolutely loves the game, practices, working out with other team mates, etc… He just does not have the motivation to work out on his own.

He is a good pitcher but could be so much better if he would work out on his own. He only does extra work when he struggles in games. But he has had a very good season so far so he doesn’t see the value in working to get better. It may be a bit of immaturity but…

I don’t want to be a pushy dad so I think it needs to be up to him. Any thoughts on motivating him so he can get to that next level (very good HS pitcher), which I think is possible for him.

I will entertain any ideas (except straight cash:~)). BTW, it’s neat to see so many people on this board who love the game…
Thanks in advance. Much appreciated…

There’s really nothing you can do except offer to catch for him, or help him, unless you want to become that pushy dad you said you don’t want to be. Otherwise, it’s up to him.

When you find out the answer to this riddle…put it in a book and sell it! I know millions of Dad’s, including myself, that would buy it!

its all about how the kid feels.He just needs a little spark to get him going , after that , seeing the results is the best part and is what keeps people going to see how much better they can get.

i was that way up until about last year. i was dominating everyone but i was also a lot bigger and stronger than them and i thought i could het by without doing anything and i did up untill last year when they caught up with me. and that motivated me to start working on my own and get better. so its basically just up to him

As others have alluded to, you cannot motivate someone. Motivation must come from within. All you can do is create a situation in which this self-motivation can happen. But don’t ask me how to do that.

Well, I guess the first thing to ask would be: what do you want him to do?

Is he supposed to wake up at 6, drink some raw eggs and hit the weight room? You say “motivation to work out on his own” but what does that mean exactly?

In any circumstance, I think you have to present the kid with options. If you think he would benefit from lifting, offer to drive him to the gym/ weight room at school/ etc. You could also offer to join a gym with him. Just a thought.

If you are referring to baseball workouts, again I dont think he is going to do it alone. Ask if he would be interested in attending any camps this summer. If he says no, that is fine. If he says yes, then try to find something that he could go to with some friends so that baseball is still something fun to do. Either way, you are enabling him to make his decision.

Even though there are some rarities, your son is not going to have a big league work ethic. He is a kid. Kids base their decisions on complete irrationality, so there is no way that he can see the same “big picture” that you can. All you can offer is support and opportunities.

Thanks to all the replies and putting things in perspective. To answer one question, I was looking for him to simply do some stretch cord work to keep his arm strong and maybe some towel drills in front of the mirror. Maybe some push ups and situps or whatever. No raw eggs at 6 am.

I do think much of this will come as he gets to HS and he will have to compete harder. In the meantime I will just subtly encourage him by signing him up for clinics, take him to the gym, etc.

Thanks again everyone.