Most Devestating Pitch in the Major Leagues

What do you think the absolute most devestating pitch thrown in the major leagues is? I’m talking, a pitch that you can know is coming, where its coming, and still miss.

I’d give Trevor Hoffman’s changeup the nod, hes throws 84mph and is still able to have an allstar season because this pitch is so nasty. He throws it with great control, masks it perfectly, and of course gets devestating sinking action on it.

A close number two however, would be Joel Zumaya’s fastball. He is ridiculous, he throws his 2 seam fastball at 100 mph and gets significant movement on it. He is consistently over triple digits with it, and while occasionally someone will tag it, 98% of the time hitters are in trouble.

I wouldn’t say that there is one devistating pitch in the MLB. I know everyone is talking about the Gyroball right now, but I believe that it may be a one-two punch combo. From watching the Braves game last week, the comentary noted that many batters don’t mind the fastball at all. If you know that a fastball is coming all you would have to do is just sit on it. Samething goes for the other pitches. I believe if you have a good fastball, and an equally great changeup you can get a lot of reluctant batters to swing and miss, or hit a harmless grounder. Batters hate that! They hate loading up for a fastball, but swinging way too early and seeing the ball fall harmlessly in the catcher’s mitt. So, yes, I believe if a changeup has

1. Movement
  2. Excellent location
  3. Masking (looks like a fastball coming out of the hand)
  4. 10-15 mph off the fastball

…then that may very well be the most devistating pitch.

i beleive the most devistating pitching potentially is a splitter.

Johan Santanas changeup after its been set up by a filthy slider and a 95mph fastball under the hands.

Nobody ever hits it hard, if they touch it at all.

Scott Boras’ pitch.

I’m a fan of Mariano Rivera’s cut fastball… When he has it going, and the hitters aren’t patient, it’s pretty devastating…

LOL. This may be true, the man has made big money.
Sports weekly named him the 6th most powerful man in Baseball.

LOL. This may be true, the man has made big money.
Sports weekly named him the 6th most powerful man in Baseball.[/quote]

I absolutely hate that man, hes ruining the game…

Pedro’s changeup also used to be just absolutely filthy after he set it up with a 97mph fastball up at your hands. Can’t do that anymore, but the changeup is still good

anyone remember jim mecir when he used to throw a screwball a couple years ago? it was so rare that nobody was even swinging at it. probably not the nastiest pitch but it was fun to watch.

the most devastating pitch is mo’s cutter. everybody know it’s coming and yet they still get jam.

amen to that lefties know its coming and still cant hit it also his 2 seam in on the hands of righties 8)

I agree with centerfield2150. Santana’s circle-change is deadly, and it doesn’t hurt to have the filthy slider and a fastball that reaches speeds in excess of 95 mph.

Thats not a curve, its an eephus pitch I think, he throws it like once a game.

I don’t think that there is just one devastating pitch. I can think of a few off the top of my head, several of which have already been mentioned.

-Santana’s change
-Rivera’s cutter
-Randy Johnson’s slider
-Roger Clemens’ splitter
-Hoffman’s change
-Pat Neshek’s fastball
-Zito’s curve
-Brad Lidge’s slider used to be the best slider hands down. It has flattened out a little bit but it is still a devastating pitch
-Papelbon’s splitter
-Brandon Webb’s sinker (very underrated)
-Carlos Zambrano’s 2-seamer

-and many, many more depending on the pitcher and the night

Hoyt Wilhems knuckler-it might be help to review Ted Willaim’s book: My Turn at Bat-the story of my life. Every Pitcher should read it!

Ian

[quote=“Diesel”]I don’t think that there is just one devastating pitch. I can think of a few off the top of my head, several of which have already been mentioned.

-Santana’s change
-Rivera’s cutter
-Randy Johnson’s slider
-Roger Clemens’ splitter
-Hoffman’s change
-Pat Neshek’s fastball
-Zito’s curve
-Brad Lidge’s slider used to be the best slider hands down. It has flattened out a little bit but it is still a devastating pitch
-Papelbon’s splitter
-Brandon Webb’s sinker (very underrated)
-Carlos Zambrano’s 2-seamer

-and many, many more depending on the pitcher and the night[/quote]

Webb recorded a record of like 81 consecutive outs recorded by infielders. That’s just incredible

I agree here. Clemens’ splitter is probably the most devastating in the game when he was in his prime.

roger clemens when he first came out didn’t have a splitter or he didnt use it that much. clemens isn’t considered a classic power pitcher just because his fastball was in the high 90s, he used to throw 4fastballs after fastballs mixing it with a curveball every so often. he would go out there and you could here the PAW PAW PAW of his ball hitting the glove and the WOOSH WOOSH WOOSH of the batter cutting the air. i heard nolan ryan was like that too but i was too young to remember correctly. than clemens modified a bit his mechanics and became a 3 pitch pitcher. when he struck out 20 batters the second time it wasn’t the same roger clemens than the first time he did it.

According to a newspaper article I read some time back, Clemens changed his pitching style because of a series of injuries that took some hop off of his speedball. He was also one of the most accurate hard throwers I’ve ever seen. I was watching the Red Sox/Mariners game where Clemens notched his first 20 K game. He threw - maybe - a half dozen curveballs in 9 innings. 2-seam, 4-seam, and placement… and a triple A team masquerading as an MLB team…and voila! 20 notches on the gunhandle.

I’m dating myself here, but I used to watch Nolan Ryan on black and white TV and he was devastating…and a little wild at times. I think that tended to work in his favor, just as Randy Johnson’s wildness bought him some fear and respect from hitters. Ryan just kept coming after you until your knees were jelly and your hands were permanently stinging.

Riveras cutter

Jake Peavy’s two seamer has some pretty sick movement on it.