More muscle, More speed?

I know this may seem like a stupid question but I have never really found a legitimate site or coach that has said this is true, just thought I’d ask. I know body types and natural ability may influence but kids who throw faster than others assuming same exact mechanics, ( i know it is not possible) will they be stronger which allows them to do this? Any feedback would be appreciated.

It’s got to be functional strength. But mass=gas in my opinion :slight_smile: For a pitcher, big biceps and triceps … even a 6-pack … aren’t going to translate into the results you’d like on the mound. (Very, very few MLB pitchers actually have a 6-pack, so it always surprises me when high school kids put so much emphasis on that.) But, implementing explosive medi-ball work, plyometrics, shoulder and scap work, etc. – those are the types of exercises that build the kind of strength that serves as the foundation for pitching.

and mass=gass doesn’t say that mechanics doesn’t help.

mass - good mechanics = NO gass at all
good mechanics - mass = below maximum gass
mechanics + mass = maximum gass

Im currenty 150 pounds and throw 75mph pretty comfotrably, I can long toss 250ft if that helps? I noticed the average weight of a pitcher is at least 20 pounds heavier. My question is if I put on 20 pounds of mass most of it muscle preferably would I be able to throw substantially faster? If not in 20 pounds would 40 do it? If the answer is yes I will be very happy.

The key word in Steven’s response to your question is - .

For one reason or another there is this infatuation with either getting bigger, more arm strength, more core, more legs, more something. In other words a concentration on one part of the body over all the rest, a focus, if you will, on parts, not the summation of the total.

For example, you mention “ how about 20 or even 40 pounds.” I ask, of what? Are we looking at muscle mass to the legs, chest, shoulders - what?

What every budding athlete has to realize is that “ ya gotta waltz with who ya brought to the dance.” Hence, you’ve got a certain amount of given that’ll take you just so far. Things like your body’s rate of metabolism, your ethnic and custom of living, outside environmental influences, your own rate of discipline and attention span, and so on. And yes, genetics does has something to do with it - but lets put this genetics thing to the side for a moment and concentrate on things that go beyond that.

Workouts to develop anything athletic requires a lot of dedication and imagination. Many athletes that have devoted a good part of their life in this regard have been called “ selfish” by friends and associates due to the lack of an athlete’s socialization. Time usually spent with friends , bumming around, going for a pizza, movies, whatever - is no more. Getting better and better at this or any other sport has a price to it - a very high price, with no end in sight. In short, it’s a life style that 99% of all youngsters fail to invest in, and with good reasons. Why? Singular excellence is just that - singular. A very lonely, inward, Spartan life from the time you wake up to the time you hit the rack. Everything is planned out for you - skip a step, the rippling effects are devastating to you internal clock… I had players who have tried to make comebacks after a prolonged illness or injury, and the part that hurts the most is not necessarily the physical grind, but the getting back into the swing of things. The regiments that have to be ingrained into every part of daily life all over again.

All in all, the total package is a daily examination of getting to your optimum “state”, then keeping it that way. For a grown man, is far easier than for a youngster with growth issues in orbit. In either case, it’s darn hard work every waking minute of one’s life. Something to remember the next time you see your favorite ball player in the Majors walk out on to the field.

Coach B.

Spence, you never said how tall you are, and that is a big factor. You did say you weigh 150 pounds, and you were wondering how much weight you need to add. My suspicion is you haven’t yet reached your full height, so I wouldn’t push it too much; after all, you don’t want to end up a tubba blubba, do you? But let’s speculate a bit. If you’re 5’8" or 5’9", you might want to add 20 pounds to your total weight—and 5’9", 170 pounds isn’t too shabby. But if you hit another growth spurt and end up at 6’2", you might want to add a little more, and so if you’re 6’2", 190 pounds, that’s a good weight. So don’t rush things right now.
There are some other things you can do to get stronger, aren’t there?

As for adding speed—Coach B. was absolutely right when he said that too many young pitchers nowadays tend to focus on one thing. What you need to do, and this is one of the best ways I know of, is something I learned many moons ago when I was playing—you have to get your whole body into the action. Here it is:
When I lived in New York I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium, every chance I got (and 20 city blocks is a nice walk, that’s how far I lived from that ballpark, so I would walk it). I would sit in the stands where I could get a good view of the pitchers, and I would watch them, and I saw something the Yankees’ Big Three—Allie Reynolds, Vic Raschi and Ed Lopat—were doing. THree different types of pitcher, and they were all doing the same thing. They were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and that was how they were generating the power behind their pitches. The arm and shoulder were, it seemed, just going along for the ride, and with a lot of pressure taken off those guys could throw harder and faster (Reynolds’ fast ball was clocked at better than 100 miles an hour, by the way). I saw exactly how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I noticed that I was getting similar results—I was throwing harder and faster with less effort. And me a sidearming snake-jazzer, with not much in the way of speed but with a rapidly developing arsenal of good breaking pitches and the control to go with them!
And not a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else. In fact, I ended up with an 81-mile-an-hour four-seamer which, my pitching coach (he was one of those guys) told me was, for a finesse pitcher like me, a fast ball. So, as someone once said, go thou and do likewise. Get your whole body into the action. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

[quote=“JvL”]and mass=gass doesn’t say that mechanics doesn’t help.

mass - good mechanics = NO gass at all
good mechanics - mass = below maximum gass
mechanics + mass = maximum gass[/quote]

I like the math here!

I was only addressing functional strength from a weight room standpoint. Clearly, mechanics are a big part of the equation.

Sorry I forgot my height im 185cm or 6’0 6’1 ish I find it hard to really pack on muscle, I’m following Steve Ellis program and doing bandwork but you may notice i’m still pretty frail, I think I throw pretty hard considering? Maybe? anyway thankyou for the info and in regards to coach baker I’d much rather train all day than hang out with friends, call me anti-social but I love training.

I wouldn’t say that you throw “hard” per say, not for your size at least. Good news, I didn’t catch your age but if you’re still in high school you have time to workout and change that. Heck even if you’re not still in high school a good workout routine and you can easily hit 80 assuming you have the proper mechanics, and put on a bit of size.