More break on Change Up

Hi everyone, I haven’t pitched in almost a month but when I did pitch my changeup didn’t really have much break to it. I’ll take speed change over break but I was just wondering what I can do to make it break more. I throw a 3 finger change up because my hands aren’t that big and my left pinkie healed wrong…so I eventually feel pain throwing a circle change repeatedly.

I don’t throw my change up that much because I either have a really good day with it or a really bad day (Throwing it in the dirt) but it’s my 4th most used pitch.

I doubt I’ll work with it soon because I’m focusing on working out but I’m bored and wondering what I can do. I’ve never gotten personal coaching advice, never tried out for the baseball team, all that but I plan on it next year.

My wise and wonderful pitching coach once told me that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup, and he demonstrated a few such for me. There are actually quite a few such pitches to choose from—the palm ball, the circle or “C” change, variations on suchn pitches as the knuckle curve (you can throw that one at different speeds), even the splitter. The secret to all of these is what you do with the grip; you can hold the ball further back or further forward in your hand, or you can tighten or loosen the grip. The important thing is to throw every one of them with the same motion as for a fast ball. So I would say that you can experiment with different ones and find a changeup that will work for you, and use it.

use the 3 fingered grip when you play catch and it will eventually become second nature. the changeup is the best pitch in baseball because it is the hardest to pick up off of the fastball. keep working on it

The best way to take care of your problem is to throw a “C” change. Every pitch you throw whether it be a curve, change fastball has a different wrist and forearm angle at release of the ball.

A real “C” change is thrown with the “C” thrown at the glove. It sounds like you are just changing the grip of the pitch and slowing everything down to get the change of speed.

It"s important to maintain your fastball pitching mechanics while throwing any pitch. Again, the only thing that changes is wrist and forearm angle at release of the ball.

In this video I demonstrate this very thing; I hope it helps you!

Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Oh, here’s another that will help you understand pitching grips and wrist position at release. I was a little on the chunky side when I made this one. lol

I know how to grip a C change but I’m not going to convert to it. As I said, my pinkie healed wrong and it eventually starts to hurt. It’s the middle part of my pinkie. My arm slot matches my fastball too :/.

I may switch to another change up but it won’t be anything that pushes my pinkie back like a C change up. Yet it’s very unlikely that I will.

Anyways, I have 3 fingers a little over the front of the seams with my thumb and pinkie’s tip touching. You’d think I’d get blisters but fortunately I have not. If I move my fingers any further down, I would always throw the pitch in the dirt on the opposite side.

Playing catch with my change up sounds like a good idea and I remember watching a video about it. I’ve never tried it but I think I’ll go with that. Possibly move my fingers down a little bit once I get comfortable. I’m jealous of pitchers like Shaun Marcum who have such deadly change ups while mine breaks half or less than half as much.

Way to go N0va! Don’t ever buy into the rhetoric that one way is best for everyone. You keep trying all kinds of different grips, and choose the one that you feel works the best for you!

FWIW, here’s what my son’s grip looked like after 10 years of pitching. No matter what it looks like, its just the 3 fingered grip with the fingers spread wider and wider. What he liked about it, was that he could make it break both ways by simply moving his thumb and/or middle finger.

http://www.infosports.com/scorekeeper/images/CUnew.jpg

[quote=“scorekeeper”]Way to go N0va! Don’t ever buy into the rhetoric that one way is best for everyone. You keep trying all kinds of different grips, and choose the one that you feel works the best for you!

FWIW, here’s what my son’s grip looked like after 10 years of pitching. No matter what it looks like, its just the 3 fingered grip with the fingers spread wider and wider. What he liked about it, was that he could make it break both ways by simply moving his thumb and/or middle finger.

http://*****.com/scorekeeper/images/CUnew.jpg[/quote]

Haha, thanks. That grip looks pretty cool, I may try it and see if I can make anything out of it.

It isn’t the grip that matters rather the wrist and forearm angle at release of the baseball. I can throw a sinker or a great changeup with a fastball grip. Pay attention during the playoffs and world series next year when they pause a pitchers delivery at release of the baseball. You will know exactly what they are throwing by looking at their wrist.

[quote=“The Pitching Academy”]It isn’t the grip that matters rather the wrist and forearm angle at release of the baseball. I can throw a sinker or a great changeup with a fastball grip. Pay attention during the playoffs and world series next year when they pause a pitchers delivery at release of the baseball. You will know exactly what they are throwing by looking at their wrist.
[/quote]

It isn’t the grip that matters? TPA, I’ve been around a heck of a long time, but I swear that’s the 1st time I ever heard anyone say the grip didn’t matter in any pitch, let alone the CU. Most people do use a FB grip to throw a sinker, but if you can throw a “great changeup” with a FB grip, you’re doing something with your other mechanics, like slowing down your arm speed.

I agree, if you don’t change your grip you need to do something to take the speed off, slower arm, slower trunk…something. If I see the slower action I’ll jack that pitch.

Great changeups aren’t because of break, they are great because the action looks just like a fastball only 10 mph slower, the batter is swinging at arm action not ball speed then. Get the batter out in front and you will get what you want, strike out, roll over ground ball or a weak hit fly ball.

IMO TPA is correct. A CU can be thrown using a FB grip with the proper wrist/forearm angle. The more the angle is pronated- or palm out- the more force is applied to the side of the ball rather than the rear. The more force applied to the side of the ball the more spin, less speed and more break- think screwball. No reduction in arm speed necessary. On the contrary the more arm speed the more spin. In this situation grip is less important than the proper pronated wrist/forearm angle.

Palm balls, three fingered pitches etc. rely more on friction to slow speed. The more skin the more friction the less speed but probably not as much break. Additionally moving the force to the outside of the ball rather than directly behind helps as well.

The circle and “C” change do a little of both- more skin for friction and the circle or “C” position puts the wrist/forearm angle into more of a pronated position- or at least makes the proper angle easier to achieve. Additionally some feel this grip is important because it removes the index finger from force application.