momentum pitching

hey i was thinking about buying dick mills momentum pitching DVD
does anybody knows if it works, and is it worth it for over 300 dollars

if u guys have bought it or own it pleez give me some feed back

thanks

I haven’t bought momentum pitching - but my dad did buy one of Coach Mill’s other dvds. It was good - but it didn’t help me improve that much. What helped me the most was taking private lessons from a good coach. These run about $30.00 for a half hour so you could get 10 lessons for the $300. If I were you I would probably do private lessons if I could find a good pitching coach. I found mine by checking with the HS coach and some travel team coaches. Also to improve you need to work outside of lessons. If you don’t do that you should just keep your money in your pocket.

I agree. The best thing anyone can do, if one wishes to improve one’s pitching, is to find a good coach who really knows his stuff and to work on what one has learned. The funny thing about Mr. Mills is that his major league experience consisted of 3 2/3 innings in relief with the Red Sox in 1970, with no decisions, and I personally don’t consider that much of a recommendation. He is probably one of those who couldn’t do very much on the mound, and as far as teaching—mneh!
I was really very lucky, way back when. I was 16 and wondering about the slider, and then it occurred to me that maybe I could ask one of the Yankee pitchers about it. On September 17, 1951, a day which I will never forget, I played hooky from school, went to the game and watched Ed Lopat beat the Indians to a pulp as was his custom. After the game—don’t ask me how I knew that he was the one to ask—I caught up to him, just wanting to know if I could ask him something. From the beginning he had me in the palm of his hand, and when I told him I just wanted to ask him something about the slider he drew me aside and showed me how to throw the pitch. Then he told me, “Go ahead, try it,” and while I was familiarizing myself with the easier wrist action he watched me and made some mental notes—among which he noted that I was a natural sidearmer who, though not fast, could throw hard and used a slide-step which added speed to my delivery. And that started it. For a little over three years Mr. Lopat was my pitching coach, and what I learned from this major-league hurler was nothing short of priceless.
I don’t know whether anyone else could luck into something like that, but to find a good experienced pitcher who can teach, as he did, would be invaluable.

Hi!

As I was telling Roger in a different thread, I not only bought the kit but had a wonderful conversation with him over the phone after I showed him my son’s video. As a matter of fact, the reason why I created that video was to show DM. One thing that he is very big on and I must agree with is that he believes in using the camcorder as a major training tool. It sort of let’s your son/daughter see and correct themselves by watching their own motion.

He’s my take on Momentum pitching and I must preface that with the fact that I am a novice at it. It works in building up a pitchers velocity and is very intimidating to a batter. Is it cool looking…definitely not especially at the beginning of learning it. Is it effective…I think so. I was drawn to it because of the claims of it taking stress of the arm to the point where your arm is more of an aiming tool and your body creates all the energy.

If you know a lot about pitching already, you can figure it out w/o having to invest in the DVD. Look at youtube, “Momentum Pitching” and you will see examples of it across a wide range of ages.

DM though is a wonderful guy and takes a lot of pride in the science of pitching.

FYI…In NY pitching instructors charge $55.00/half hour!!!

Good Luck
Jason

private lessons help a lot

:shocking: :shock: :shocking:

My Son’s been taking lessons for 3 years(winter Jan.-Apr.) twice a week(1/2 hour pitching & 1/2 hour hitting)!

…and he’s probably got less than a 1 in 1,000,000 shot of starting for a Division 1 College team.

Oh well, as Ralph Kramden used to say on the Honneymooners “Easy come, easy go”

I’d bet he’s got a better shot than that … perhaps just not freshman or sophomore years. Heck, most scholarship ball players don’t start their first two years at a D1 program. At least not conference series. But if he keeps working and plugging away, he’ll get his opportunity. Really.

Steven, all I can say to that is …From your lips to G-ds Ears. :smiley:

Thanks for the positive attitude!
I tell my son hard work, dedication and focus will take you any where you want to go in life.