Momentum and timing

Now RIstar will definately disagree with me here, but I really don’t think momentum has a substantial impact on pitching. Maybe a 2-3 mile per hour increase in velocity, but also you give up a bit of accuracy by speeding up your release. Personally I throw 75-76 miles per hour. I don’t have a balance point, but I don’t have a rushed delivery. However, I throw faster than most people my age, and I’m shorter and lighter than most of them. That leads me to believe its my mechanics and arm, and my mechanics are controlled and not rushed. Tell me if you diagree that having a fast delivery can add more than 2-3 miles per hour.

IMO

A controlled delivery doesn’t necessarily mean good control from a pitcher. IMO, speeding up your release through momentum means speeding up hand speed which will translate into velocity. I don’t think that this will cause a loss in control, as long as your body is strong enough to handle the increasing energy. That goes from your feet up through your legs, core, shoulder and down through your hand. As a matter of fact I believe that if you have overall body strength and have a STABLE delivery that generates momentum it will HELP your command. It most definately will help a pitcher work down the slope (downhill) and will make it much easier to drive the ball down in the zone, which is the type of command pitchers need at the higher levels. East West pitching is good, but most hitters weaknesses are exposed when the ball crosses at the kneecaps. In conclusion, not only will increased momentum with a stable base help increase velocity and the crispness of your pitches, but it will make it easier to drive the ball down in the strike zone.

When you gain momentum through moving sideway’s while lifting the leg you are not rushing the motion because at the same time you are gaining your balance over your stride and also you are going down the mound while leading with the hip.

So the more momentum = 's the more velocity if timing is right. You might feel rushed at 1st but once you get use to lifting the leg and moving sideway’s a little before peak leg lift everything else is timing is right should take care of it’s self.

It takes alot of hard work to gain good momentum while in controll.

This is not just about velocity. Generating momentum and using that momentum effectively through good mechanics and timing means will help you achieve your genetic maximum velocity. But it will also let you do so while using your body to throw so you’re minimizing the stress you put on your arm and that’s very important.

Exactly, momentum does play a part in velocity, but more importantly a strong drive and finish is the best thing you can do to keep your arm healthy. Of course, for every Lincecum and Oswalt who goes 0-60 in 3.5, theres a Wang or Beckett who take forever and throw 97

Joba Chamberlain of the Yankees also has a slow delivery and he hits 98 consistently, and many other major leaguers hit high 90’s out of the stretch.

From the pitching clips i’ve seen of joba, i see that he actually does a great job of generating momentum. Also, pitching from the stretch doesn’t mean that momentum can’t be generated. In some cases, it could be easier for some pitchers actually.

From the pitching clips i’ve seen of joba, i see that he actually does a great job of generating momentum. Also, pitching from the stretch doesn’t mean that momentum can’t be generated. In some cases, it could be easier for some pitchers actually.[/quote]

Exactly, as long as your hips are moving towards the plate as your knee reaches the highest point in your delievery, you are generating adequeate momentum. But if you ask RIStar or Dick Mills, they’ll say you have to practically dive towards home plate to get anything resembling a decent fastball.

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]…if you ask RIStar or Dick Mills, they’ll say you have to practically dive towards home plate to get anything resembling a decent fastball.[/quote]This isn’t accurate, on both accounts. Neither one has said this. Mills, and RIStar by extension, are stating that generating maximum momentum toward the plate is a good thing. I’ve yet to see anywhere that Mills claims you can’t get a decent fastball, or worse, one that even “resembles” a decent one, without maximizing momentum.

Folks, can we please try to learn more about what people are actually saying before we attribute things to them?

Dick Mills has never said you can’t do regular explosive pitching and have a good fastball.

my view is more momentum with a good decent speed where you are in control the faster you will throw.

An article showing that Joba is fairly explosive to the plate:

An article showing that Beckett is not as slow and deliberate as he seems; in fact his tempo is quicker than last year:

Thats a good article.

[quote=“dm59”][quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]…if you ask RIStar or Dick Mills, they’ll say you have to practically dive towards home plate to get anything resembling a decent fastball.[/quote]This isn’t accurate, on both accounts. Neither one has said this. Mills, and RIStar by extension, are stating that generating maximum momentum toward the plate is a good thing. I’ve yet to see anywhere that Mills claims you can’t get a decent fastball, or worse, one that even “resembles” a decent one, without maximizing momentum.

Folks, can we please try to learn more about what people are actually saying before we attribute things to them?[/quote]

My bad, I worded that wrong because I’ve been away from this site for a while, and forgot the correct lingo. I’m not sure if RIStar is still advocating this, though I know he used to. And I believe Mills still is, that you have to have a very quick tempo and get your body moving towards the plate quickly to generate momentum. Thats what I meant by the whole diving thing, I just forgot the word I wanted to use. And a quick tempo is not necessary for a good fastball, which is what I meant.

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]… I believe Mills still is, that you have to have a very quick tempo and get your body moving towards the plate quickly to generate momentum.[/quote]He’s not actually saying you HAVE TO move quickly toward the plate. He’s saying that it’s the BEST way. That’s his sales pitch. He’s saying that if you don’t, you must generate velo in some other way, which can result in unnecessary stresses on the arm/shoulder. He is advocating that generating the maximum amount of momentum, under control, is the best way and reduces the strain on the arm. I’ve yet to hear him say you can’t throw hard any other way. He, like all gurus, is saying that his way is better than the others. Obviously there are more ways to generate velo. Rotation, for example, with less linear motion toward the plate than the Momentum Pitching method. Gurus. They’re always better than the other guy, right? :roll: 8)

But, DM, when you couple this with Mills’ claim that all energy is generated during the stride, what else are you to conclude?