Mlb open tryouts

hey guys, just got back from the mlb open tryouts here in montreal.
i threw a bullpen session getting coached with the guy who scouted jeff francis and phillipe aumont. it was very educative and except for a couple wild pitches probably due to a slight lack of preparation, i was able to throw some good strikes get my curveball both on and off the plate and threw some decent change ups. i was consistently hitting 75mph on the stalker and my change up was 66mph curveball was 60mph. basically, he told me i had solid mechanics and really all i needed was a little velocity jump which could be achieve with some training and mechanical coaching. he was impressed with the curveball though.

im proud i finally decided to go and now im even more hyped on going back out there and work hard to get back next year with a good 7 to 10 mph jump.

Chase your dream man! 8)
Good Luck

[quote=“4pie”]hey guys, just got back from the mlb open tryouts here in montreal.
i threw a bullpen session getting coached with the guy who scouted jeff francis and phillipe aumont. it was very educative and except for a couple wild pitches probably due to a slight lack of preparation, i was able to throw some good strikes get my curveball both on and off the plate and threw some decent change ups. i was consistently hitting 75mph on the stalker and my change up was 66mph curveball was 60mph. basically, he told me i had solid mechanics and really all i needed was a little velocity jump which could be achieve with some training and mechanical coaching. he was impressed with the curveball though.

im proud i finally decided to go and now im even more hyped on going back out there and work hard to get back next year with a good 7 to 10 mph jump.[/quote]

Good luck!
Almost nothing is impossible with hard work (and maybe a little providence or luck, whatever you want to call it).

just wondering what your current height and weight are. Also i was curious to see how long you have been lifting weights for. Also what are your deadlift, squat, and bench maxes.

Also don’t mean to be the bare of bad news. But it takes something really, really special in someone to make the major leagues. Like people honestly have no idea what it takes. Its takes size, strength, flexibility, mental strength, physcology, endurance, health, LUCK

A guy that was scouting me, would have been playing in the majors for a long time, if he pushed himself a little harder, also he was given a bad luck streak, and was injured numerous times.

he was topping out at 97mph in his twenties, but only went as high as a farm team, i think. So ya it takes alot to make it, just saying.
Also don’t say is control wasn’t good or is stuff, all of that was good, just he got injured too much, that was the big reason why. Also he still played till he was around 38 years old playing AA ball i think

well i have a little different road then most people so right now im kind of behind my age.

for your information
im 6’1" 210lbs
i have never lifted a single peice of iron in my entire life so i dont have any stats to speak of. i started gettting interested in baseball 7 years ago and started to take pitching more seriously 3 years ago. i have never played a real baseball game of my life.

an other thing, i do not, by any mean, aim for the majors. i seriously could spend 10 years in single A that i would be the most happy man on earth. Right now, i would pretty much want to get sign just so i could drop my job and start play baseball.

i know this sounds ridiculous, but this is my passion so i have a lot of fun doing this.

is this a joke. You want to get signed and quit your job??? Honestly just because its A ball doesn’t mean anything. The pitchers in A ball have the same velocity, same junk, same everything except probaly control as do the pitchers in the majors. Also you wouldn’t make very much money in A ball. I think you only get 20-40k a year. Also you think you will make A ball because you have been playing baseball seriously for 3 years. Kids work their whole life trying to make A ball, they hit the gym hard, they do everything they can. You just started taking ball seriously just for 3 years. Don’t quit your day job

It’s actually less than $20K. It’s about $2000 a month (before taxes) for only those months in which you’re in-season. The pay is a joke. But it’s not about that. This is bigger than that.

4pie, how old are you bro?

Excuse my belligerence everyone, this guys is getting on my nerves.

You never fail to make me scratch my head and wonder what is going through your brain.

Actually pal minor league teams need to fill their rosters, so they do keep guys that aren’t prospects for the majors to hold onto. Not every minor leaguer is a major league prospect.

Wanting to play minor league ball is about wanting to play ball with a little bit of pay, not trying to make a living. There was a time when major league ball players worked 2nd jobs because it didn’t pay much, but they still played because they loved playing.

Why are you insulting him for his path taken to baseball? Not everybody gets into it when they’re kids. Not everybody gets taught to pitch as soon as they walk. And believe it or not most people don’t care how much they lift and sure as hell don’t care how much anyone lifts.

You strike me as one of those people that thinks having above average athletic ability makes you better than somebody else. Which is ridiculous.

This guy is pursuing a goal and a dream, who are you to tell him to give up on it? Sure there are negatives to the situation but there are also positives, which are up to him to weigh.

Next time you post try to at least think about how the people reading the post will perceive it. I don’t know if you’re trying to be an ass but you sure come off that way.

Let me make a suggestion, if you want to point out the cons to somebody in a situation like this do so, but in a respectful manner.

BarryBonds999, you could just respect the guy and encourage him in his dreams. Sometimes dreams don’t happen but it’s the route we take that is important. 4pie, good luck in making it to whatever level you can acheive, don’t let the nay sayers say you can’t do something.

he be trollin, we hatin’

keep up the hard work 4pie! A ball is better than no ball, ive said the same thing as you before haha, I’d be happy with minors.

i wasnt really going for the view on this one, it was more of a first try thing to break the ice, take some pressure off my shoulders, i mean if i was able to do ok with little to no experience whatsoever, i guess if i get into a workout routine, start to take it more seriously and pitch more by next year nearly day for days, i should be able to add some mph on the fastball which i already can throw for good strike a lot.

when i first started, my friends tried to put me down saying i was too old to start baseball, then my parents tried to make me drop it saying i had to be more serious about life. then my coach which i had for like 1 month cut me from the team saying i didnt have no skills, then my girlfriend tried discouraging me from going to the tryouts saying i would make a fool out of myself and didnt want to go and see me fail, yet

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpqa9aCnFe1qzimq3o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1313393582&Signature=iB%2BYhK0rvYgIlxX1qo%2BGqKS0glM%3D

the scout liked my curveball and basically said if i had 10 more mph on everything i would be taken more seriously.

btw steven i am 22 so yeah, im late and all that, but im up for the challenge.

It’s actually less than $20K. It’s about $2000 a month (before taxes) for only those months in which you’re in-season. The pay is a joke. But it’s not about that. This is bigger than that.

4pie, how old are you bro?[/quote]

Let’s not lead them astray. :stuck_out_tongue: $2000 a month? Takes 4-5 years to earn that much.
:?
$1100/month is the minimum. A huge increase since your days of $850/month, right Steven?

Certainly not enough to make a living.

I think I would contact the league and see when they hold tryouts.