MLB highscool

does anyone happen to know how fast some of the big league pitchers threw as a sophomore in HS or anyother grade.

I heard roger clemens only threw about 83 as a senior in highschool, and some places say greg maddux threw 80 outta highschool so he learned his movement and control, others say he was hitting low 90’s idk who to believe,

billy wagner pitched for a D3 school and only threw low 80’s.

How did he end up throwing so fast then…

everyone develops at different times. he developed late and was able to gain alot of velocity

ya, but thats just what I read, he threw low 80’s up until his senior year I guess he started bringin it a little harder to about high 80’s, then in the minors got it to high 90s.

How did he end up throwing so fast then…[/quote]

The story goes (which i heard on ESPN) that he did throw/pitch right handed, but broke his arm 3 times, so he taught himself how to throw lefthanded, and it just gradually got stronger and stronger.

That could be total BS, but i am just going on what was said on espn.

Here’s some information from a reliable source that should give you some hope…

Baseball America: Feb 25-Mar 9th 2008, pages 33 and 9 respectively.

On Aaron Crow, Missouri: “In high school he had a nice arm action but he was 84-86…I saw him several times last year and he was 93-96 with a good slider.” Crow is projected to be the 3rd pick in the first round of the MLB draft this year.

On Christian Friedrich, Eastern Kentucky: Fastball jumped from low 80’s to low 90’s as a freshman, and his curveball is the best in the college ranks." Friedrich is projected to be the 9th pick in the first round of the MLB draft this year."

My opinion is everyone has a finite latent potential that is only realized with a planned approach to the art of pitching. You will only know if you choose to go on that journey. Always have a backup plan because there is no telling how far the train goes and where you will get off. The only thing that is certain is it will definitely stop some day.

How did he end up throwing so fast then…[/quote]

The story goes (which i heard on ESPN) that he did throw/pitch right handed, but broke his arm 3 times, so he taught himself how to throw lefthanded, and it just gradually got stronger and stronger.

That could be total BS, but i am just going on what was said on espn.[/quote]

that happened when he was like 7 though.

ya, but thats just what I read, he threw low 80’s up until his senior year I guess he started bringin it a little harder to about high 80’s, then in the minors got it to high 90s.[/quote]

that would be called steroids

Well, Joba Chamberlain threw 90’s in high school. He was born to pitch though, turns out he never pitched until 11th grade and now I think he’s 22 and he’s already thrown a documented pitch at 103.

Mr. Ellis has posted his velocity throughtout his high school life on this fourm before. Ill see if I can find it.

found it. its really good.

http://letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=34986&highlight=#34986