MLB Draft

Can anyone explain to me whats the deal with the MLB draft, with the rounds and stuff, I know most guys in the early rounds get assigned to Low A or High A ball right? how about those in the mid rounds? and Late rounds like the 44th round or something? I heard they have to actually try out of a team in the Rookie League am I correct? Or whats the deal? How hard is it to make it out of Rookie league? I assume that you have to bust your ass your first year to not get cut next year cause they have more guys coming right?

Can someone just explain this process, its something I need to get ready for in the next couple years.

Generally, guys in the current year’s draft are divided up between 3 levels/teams: rookie league, short-season A and low-A.

High school picks generally go to the Rookie league (they need a lot of development). College guys go to short-season A. But the short-season A team is also comprised of high school draft picks from the previous season who played Rookie ball.

A select few college draft picks (usually first 2-3 rounders) will join the low-A team.

The difference between short-season A and low-A is very little, except low A season starts immediately following Spring Training in April and short-season is only a 76 game schedule that starts in July (designed mainly for the current year’s draft players).

Hope this helps.

In terms of “trying out” … there’s no tryouts once you’re drafted, per se. But EVERY game, practice, day is a tryout in that if you do well consistently, you move up. If you do poorly, you move down or get released.

And basically the lower you are drafted the less they care about you right? You have less chance for mistake as a low round draft pick correct?
This helped a lot though Steven.

Consistency is key!

Not necessarily. If you are a HS player taken in the lower rounds and they do invest money they will take care of you, some organizations more than others. It also depends how much money is going to be invested in you. Out of HS they figure at least 3 years because that would be like taking another college player. They just don’t want to get you, cut you after 1 year and you walk away with their money.

Steven is right on with the whole rookie ball and where players get assigned.

What if you are a college player and you are drafted in the low rounds?

You have less time, but for the college guys it is always ok if they don’t make it because they do have an education to fall back on. That is why usually if your not a high round draft pick it is more smart to go to college still develop and get an education.

Baseball is just like any other business out there, they want to find out where and how they can get the cheapest production but still good quality.

Alright I see

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]Generally, guys in the current year’s draft are divided up between 3 levels/teams: rookie league, short-season A and low-A.

High school picks generally go to the Rookie league (they need a lot of development). College guys go to short-season A. But the short-season A team is also comprised of high school draft picks from the previous season who played Rookie ball.

A select few college draft picks (usually first 2-3 rounders) will join the low-A team.

The difference between short-season A and low-A is very little, except low A season starts immediately following Spring Training in April and short-season is only a 76 game schedule that starts in July (designed mainly for the current year’s draft players).

Hope this helps.

Quoted for truth. Very, and I mean very few people go right to low A. Tim Lincecum did start in high A however. Very rare steak tho.

In terms of “trying out” … there’s no tryouts once you’re drafted, per se. But EVERY game, practice, day is a tryout in that if you do well consistently, you move up. If you do poorly, you move down or get released.[/quote]