Missing HIGH on the Zone

Hi guys, I just got back from a bad outing where I was missing all my pitches HIGH. I think I didn’t get 1 Called strike on the low part of the zone.

All my pitches were high (most even out of the zone). Also on just 2.2 IP i hit 2 batters with a up and inside fastball…

What do you think that could have been making all my pitches sail high or the low ones were waaaaaay low…

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Missing up or down can be caused by an unstable glove, tilting the shoulders back and throwing uphill, , etc. If you are right-handed, then the up-and-in pitches are often caused by opening up the shoulders too early and letting the arm drag through the zone. When you over-correct, the pitches sail down and away.

rotating your shoulders before your front foot lands is a reason why ur ball could be missing high

Thanks for the info guys. I’m definately going to try to correct it on my next bullpen session.

Sounds like it could be rushing.

By that I mean trying to get power by speeding up your lower body which ends up throwing off your timing. Your shoulders start turning before your pitching arm is up and in the ready position.

I just wrote an article to try to explain this (I am dealing with it with some of my guys)…

Let me know what you think.

Sounds like it could be rushing.

By that I mean trying to get power by speeding up your lower body which ends up throwing off your timing. Your shoulders start turning before your pitching arm is up and in the ready position.

I just wrote an article to try to explain this (I am dealing with it with some of my guys)…

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/PitchingProblemTroubleshooter/SymptomsCausesAndRootCauses/Rushing.html

Let me know what you think.[/quote]

hehe strange enough, I read your article a couple of days before I had this outing.

I practiced it to see if I was doing it. I think I don’t get my arm on a completely 90º. I think my arm is like 75º or so.

I think what Roger said could be also a problem. I think I’m leading with the shoulders… or opening up the shoulders too early…

How should you do? First open up the hips then the shoulders? Or hips, chest then shoulders?

Thanks.

KreGg
Definitely open the hips into landing and have the shoulders rotate upon landing. As the shoulders rotate, the chest is thrust out causing an arch in the lower back. I wouldn’t force this arch though. Think of the chest and then unload the back arch, catapulting the upper body forward to release.

Another common cause of missing high is the elbow being low coming through as the shoulders turn.

The hips have to open before the shoulders. If you look at the best pitchers, in many cases their hips leads their shoulders by up to 90 degrees.

This has nothing to do with rushing.

When you are occasionally rushing (e.g. sometimes missing high – especially when trying to throw hard), then your timing is different so that sometimes your foot plants sooner than others. If you are habitually rushing (e.g. always missing high), then you need to so something like break your hands sooner so that your arm is up and ready at the moment that your shoulders start to rotate.