Middle finger pitching hand

My hand has been sore this past week, and today when throwing off a mound for the 3rd time since Monday I was doing fine. I was throwing in an intersquad scrimmage and my hand started to hurt pretty bad. Enough to where I can’t hold on to my fastball or grip a bat.

I have full mobility, it just gets weak and painful when throwing and griping things and is located right at the base of the middle finger where it meets the joint. Any ideas on what this may be?

Have a doctor look at it ASAP. You don’t want to mess with something like that. 8)

I was going to take it to the trainers but they were closed. I’ll get them to look at it on monday. Then, if need be, I’ll get to the doc but yeah I agree that it needs to be looked at. It has become stiff in the time period it took me to sleep, so that means swelling in the knuckle.

So I went in to the trainers today and they said that I damaged my ulnar collateral ligament in my middle fingers metacarpophalangeal joint, and they worked with me on my ROM in my hand, and it was obviously weaker than my left hand so for now I am completely shutdown (no throwing, lifting, hitting, etc.) So my question is how could I possibly do this pitching? How do I recover as quickly as possible from this? Most importantly, how do I keep this from happening again?

OUCH!!!
This sort of thing can happen at any time, anywhere—I’ve heard plenty of stories about someone busting a collarbone just getting out of bed in the morning. Well, the only thing I can tell you is that you’ll just have to rest that finger for a time, and then when you resune throwing you’d better take a look at your mechanics—what you might have done in the process of throwing the ball that would cause that injury—and perhaps get together with a good pitching coach to see what can be done to prevent a recurrence. Hang in there. 8)