Mentality

is to try and and strike everyone out a good mentality or goal to have in a game?

I like the idea of having the aggressive mentality and “goal” of trying to strike everyone out, but that isn’t a realistic expectation.

I think everyone has different goals that they have going into starts. Usually they change from game to game while you’re trying to make improvements from your previous outings. An example might be cut down on walks, throw more first pitch strikes, get the lead-off man out each inning, and of course WIN. These are all good goals to have.

But if you’re looking for a good overall philosophy going into a start, I would say it’s to simply execute as many of your pitches as possible.

This is the biggest aspect of a start a pitcher can control. What do I mean about execute pitches? I mean hit the spots you mean to, execute your plan for each hitter, and throw your pitches the best you can.

You will still get beat sometimes when you do execute a pitch successfully, because hitters will get lucky, or maybe your pitches aren’t good enough, but you can at least leave your start knowing you did your best.

Then from there, you can assess if you need to make adjustments.

Stu

thanks, that was very helpful.

Let me elaborate on this a bit.
There are different pitchers with different styles and different approaches, but they all have one thing in common—to get the batters out. The difference is how they go about it. There are the power pitchers, out-and-out fireballers who can break 100 miles an hour, who aim to overpower the batters with sheer speed. There are the finesse pitchers, “snake-jazzers” who compensate for the absence of sheer speed with strategic pitching—a good arsenal of breaking stuff, plus control, command, deception and just plain smarts—“if you can’t overpower the hitters, you outsmart them, outthink them”. And there are the power pitchers with finesse, who combine the best of both approaches. The one thing all of them have in common is the determination, the mental set that is necessary to get out there and pitch a strong game and make the batters look very stupid. It does take all kinds, and whichever one you are, you want to make the most of what you have and can do. And that’s how you win games. :slight_smile: 8)

To me it depends on the scenerio. First id like to get strike one. they you adjust from that. My main goal is to the pound the zone. i dont worry about striking the guy out until i get to 2 strikes then i might nibble a bit or continue to go right at him.

But say you have a guy on 2nd and 3rd with no outs or 1 out, i’d pitch for the strikeout and change my mentality. But then again it depends on the pitcher and their role.

Pitch to contact, I try to get ground ball outs and weak hits, I want them to hit it and get themselves out, so I throw strikes. If I think I can get a cheap K after throwing several knucks I will throw a fastball up and in to see if I can get 'em.

To be honest, i’m the opposite, always have been. I pitch away from contact as much as possible. I go into every game not thinking, but instead knowing that i’m the best pitcher on the field, and it typically serves me well. To me, there is nothing more frustrating then being way ahead in a count (say 0-2 or 1-2) and watching a hitter foul off a great pitch, or even worse, put it in play… even if he does get out it still bothers me, because i should have had that K.

Every pitcher is different in the mentality and the way they approach a game, obviously it’s not realistic to think that you’re going to strike everyone out that you face, but it doesn’t hurt to try if that’s the kind of stuff you have…

[quote=“Highschoolpitcher9”]

Every pitcher is different in the mentality and the way they approach a game[/quote]

This…

my .02

http://danblewett.com/2010/04/mental-approach-on-the-mound/