Mentality is key to success...for me

I find the best way to succeed, regardless if you have the best stuff or decent stuff is to be mentally tough. You have to be sort of cocky on the mound and just say to yourself that you control the game and it’s up to you what the batter does.

My tendencies:

1. Work fast- This will keep your defense on high alert at all times and make the batters feel like they are being rushed and not get comfortable up there.

2. Be Cocky- Challenge each and every batter. Go after them and brush them off the plate once in awhile.

3. Get in their head- The key to this is not to be afraid to pitch inside. Get them off the plate and make them scared.

4. Switch things up- Don’t always throw the predictable pitch in certain counts. If you have the confidence to throw your breaking pitch for strikes, drop one in there on 0-0, 2-0, 3-1, even 3-2 counts.

5. Confidence- Just go up their knowing you are the best.

A Baltimore Orioles pitching coach had his players wear a t shirt which read Work Fast, Change Speeds , Throw Strikes. Your find is on the money.

i always stay free and loose on the mound by just having fun out on the field. being close friends with your team and joking around, having fun is the best way i have found to stay on top of your game during the game. it also gives you a little bit of a cocky feeling and believe it or not, it is just a game. your at your best when you’re loose having fun playing a game.

One thing I learned in theatre that has helped me in pitching is taking out all my emotions from anything and focusing on what I’m doing and what my goal is. Like a robot just getting what needs to be done done (in this case getting outs).

I agree with Alex…when i’m on the mound i joke around with my friends sometimes…but you cant do that the whole time. You have to be focused on what your doing. If its not a close game then let loose a little and be a little cocky. But in a close game, one thing that helps me i a movie called “For Love Of The Game” with kevin costner**. He would blank out everything around him when on the mound and could focus on just pitching the ball. Thats what i try to do…or you can go buy some cheap earplugs…ha

GO CUBBIES!!! :smiley: :smiley:

Mental toughness…that is indeed the key.
When I was in high school, many moons ago, we had a science teacher who liked to demonstrate experiments to the class. From time to time one of those experiments would fizzle—and the teacher, bless him, would just shrug and say "Oh well, it’ll work out better next time."
Something to keep in mind. If you’re out there on the mound and something isn’t right—say, one of your pitches isn’t behaving itself—just put it aside for the time being and go to your other stuff that you know is working for you. Don’t get into a situation where you’re fretting and fussing over that one pitch that isn’t working—and here’s a story that illustrates this.
Back in the 60s the Cincinnati Reds had a pitcher named Jay Hook whose middle name might well have been “inconsistent”. He was like the little girl with the curl in the nursery rhyme; when he was good, he was very, very good, but when he was bad—he stank on hot ice. Well, on one day he was pitching against the Pittsburgh Pirates, and he stank on hot ice; the Pirates were eating him alive, turning every pitch he threw into line-drive extra-base hits. It got to the point where Reds manager Fred Hutchinson had to take him out of the game. Hook returned to the dugout and sat in a corner and bemoaned the loss of his fast ball; it had up and deserted him.
In vain did Jim Brosnan, a very good relief pitcher who might have made an excellent pitching coach had he been so inclined, try to talk to Hook.mHe tried to explain that nobody has all his best stuff every time out: “That’s when you learn this game,” he said. “You have other pitches to throw. Use them when your fast ball isn’t there.” He might as well have been talking to the wall, because Hook appeared not to hear him; he just sat there and moaned, over and over and over, “Without my fast ball I can’t pitch.” So Brosnan gave up trying to talk to him.
Hook didn’t last much longer in the majors after that. I guess he just didn’t have the required mental toughness, the resourcefulness that might have saved the day for him had he just put that fast ball back on the shelf and go to his other pitches. 8)

All the things mentioned in this thread are nice. But there’s no substitute for making a high amount of quality pitches. Control where the white ball goes.

Too bad Jay Hook didn’t heed that advice—he might have lasted a lot longer in the majors. 8)