Mental question

Okay I’m a starting pitcher and have always been told to be calm like Rivera is. However, I think I perform better when I have more intensity. When I’m calm I feel like I don’t throw very hard. When I have more of an attitude that I’m going to shove my fastball down your throat I feel I throw harder. Another attitude I feel that I perform better with is when I think of attacking the hitter. I also feel better after the game because I’ve let off some steam. Is this okay if I’m a starter?

There’s no absolute right or wrong way to be. This differs from pitcher to pitcher. In general, the recommendation to be calm and relaxed is to help you avoid tensing up which would more than likely affect you negatively. But it’s also good to have some intensity and and even an edge or what’s called “mound presence”.

Calm doesn’t mean be Spicoli dude

I never saw The Rocket look anything but calm…or Nolan Ryan…I bet Rockin Robin was hopin Nolely would have been calmer.

I once read an article in a magazine about Mariano Rivera, and he has a secret. Before he even starts warming up prior to coming into a game he takes a couple of minutes to get himself into a mindset he calls “the eye of the tiger”—a quiet but very intense focus, in which nothing exists for him except getting the batters out. He then warms up, and he takes that focus to the mound along with that devastating cutter. If you’ve ever watched him closely you’ll see it in his face—that quiet intensity, that “nothing will stop me” determination. Even if he makes a bad pitch and gives up a home run he never loses that focus. He just goes ahead and retires the side in order. 8)

Never felt calm while pitching I’ve looked calm on the outside but theres always that rush of adrenaline right before you go into your windup in a big game

Very true. I mentioned once in another post that there is a huge difference between a rush of adrenaline such as you describe and the kind of nervousness that results all too often in a pitcher losing control of the situation. That rush of adrenaline is like a booster rocket in many ways; it gives a pitcher extra energy in tough situations, and that’s okay. Believe me, I experienced it many times when I would come into a game in relief and faced a crucial situation (such as: bases loaded, one out and a tough hitter at bat, and I had a one-run lead to protect), and I would get that rush of energy that enabled me to do what I needed to do to get the batter out. So don’t worry about it; you’re doing fine. 8) :baseballpitcher:

John Rocker, baby! Yeah! Gotta do what works for you and allows you to be successful.

Yeah. John Rocker. A very good pitcher, but too bad he had to be such a complete yutz. And that kind never changes. :roll:

rob dibble and goose gossage weren’t exactly calm.

dorfman, the million dollar mental baseball guru said it very well. "i don’t care how you feel, i care how you perform. you can keep an even keel showing emotion, you just have to know how to focus. sunlight unfocused in t magnifying glass does nothing, focusing the magnifying glass on a target will cause a fire.

I’m always calm, I focus on every single pitch. I just relax and let it go. I of course am a reliever not a starter and I just go out there and pitch. I don’t care if they know the knuck is coming I throw it and dare them to hit it. I don’t exactly know how to describe mound presence but my coach has told me I certainly have it, in fact I asked him if he would ever have me start because I’ve never done that before and he said “No, you’re too much of a high class reliever for me to do that” and mentioned something about me having mound presence, even though I haven’t been pitching that long he said you would think I had been doing it longer the way I’ve been pitching lately. I pride myself on keeping composure on the field and the mound, I can’t stand it when people get too loud I understand talking to your team but sometimes it gets out of hand.

There’s more than one way to be good on the mental edge some people are best when they are intense and have attitude. Calm can mean many things in my opinion I think if you can handle adversity youre a calm pitcher.

Here’s two people that have been successful in the pen on the same team that are completely opposite, both youngsters but still have found success.
Phil Hughes is calm and looks so relaxed out there but if you remember when Joba was in the pen he was all fired up all the time.

Let’s take some starters into account. Look at guys like Andy Pettitte, he’s calm he keeps his composure at all times, but then if you see guys like Mark Fydrych a long time ago (check the spelling on his last name) he was crazy and loopy out there talked to the ball did some weird stuff too. Or Pedro Martinez in his prime wasn’t like Fydrych crazy but he was fired up he got intense, anyone remember that Karim Garcia blow to the head?

everyone has there own comfort zone. im a starter to. before a game. i always put my i pod in go for a little jog by my self and i dont like to talk to anyone. it puts me in the zone. i focus on what im about to do. i pitch with alot of emotion and intensity when in on the field. in the dugout i sit by my self. it all depends on ur state of mind and how u feel on game day. quite time helps me focus and get ready. u may like chaos. everyone is different

That’s very true. Everyone has an individual comfort zone, and it certainly does vary from one pitcher to the next. Vic Raschi, one of the Yankees’ Big Three rotation years ago, was, in the words of one of the other pitchers, “like a bear who had missed breakfast”. On the day he was to pitch, you couldn’t go near him, and everyone else quickly learned to leave him alone. He would sit by his locker and get himself all worked up into a fury beyond belief. Then, when he went out to take the mound, he said to Yogi Berra, “Just catch, I’ll pitch.” On the other hand, there’s Mariano Rivera, who takes a couple of minutes to get himself into a mindset he calls “the eye of the tiger”—a quiet but very intense focus, in which all his concentration is on getting the batters out. Wheb he’s pitching, if you look at his face you see it—a calm determination, a sort of “nothing can stop me” look. Yes, it takes all kinds.

You can have many different approaches but there are generally two.

A Bob Gibson or a Greg Maddux. Let me outline the two approaches.

Bob Gibson: You are a power pitcher. You are intimidating as hell. You either have a nasty stare(think of looking at death and not being afraid), a rep for knocking batters on their butts, or better yet both. You have a wicked fastball, and you are just enough wild. You put fear in a hitter’s mind.

Greg Maddux: You are a control/groundball guy. You don’t want to arouse the hitter. You want to execute your pitches, and then go drink some Gatorade. No stare, no gimmicks. No knockdown pitches. No 95+ fastball, just a control guy of a 89 mph mover.

is there any video available of you pitching kevinbert. you are one of the most knowledgeable 12s i have ever met. i would like to see you in action. can you make that happen.

This is from the mech forum Dusty

But that is my old mechanics, I have changed them now. i will post a new video soon. Dusty, I am truly humbled by your compliment.

My stride is longer now, and my arm action is less sloppy.

thanks very much jd. get yor new one up here and let’s see if there is a difference.