Mental game

I’m a relative new pitcher (only pitcher for about a year) and I took the year to learn mechanics so I haven’t had a lot of game experience, I don’t have the mental game down yet and that hurts me a lot. Another of my problems isi will think too hard when I’m on the mound, I will go through my mechanics and not let my arm throw the ball how it’s supposed to. What I’m asking is there any way to almost clear your head and learn the mental game. Another thing is my confidence, all through little league till pretty much this year I was just an ok baseball player, so I was always getting beat down by way better players and sometimes that will carry over to the mound

I know that if I start questioning things on the mound I try and tune everything else out, all I focus on is what I want to do, getting a ground ball or strike out etc. Something that gets me really focused is that batter that really wants to crowd the plate, I send one inside to get him off my plate, if he moves the next pitch I know I am controling the game. If he doesn’t get off the plate, we all know what is coming…he’s getting beaned, so again I am taking charge, nothing makes me feel better than being in charge of the game.

Focus on one point while your pitching a word or phrase.’ Hips’ or follow thru. Lock into your next pitch and not the result of the last. Dont think about losing the game or the big inning but think of where to put the next pitch. Phil jackson emphasizes to the Lakers to forget the score and think about the moment. Play the same no matter the score.Look up Jackson and Zen. I decided I could be a better coach by not getting caught up in the emotion of a game because I had to think and a pitcher has to do the same. Hope this helps.

The great Satchel Paige once said, “You have to believe in yourself. When you believe, you do.” He also said, “Throw strikes. Home plate don’t move.” Wise words from a great pitcher. 8)

Confidence breed success. Are you lacking confidence in the area of strategy … or is it self-doubt? Check out “The Mental Game of Baseball” by H. Dorfman. GREAT read and might be helpful if you’re dealing with self-doubt issues. If it’s strategy stuff - like how to attack hitters, etc., just ask us here and we’d all be happy to help! Keep your head up. It’ll get easier :slight_smile:

What would be a good routine to go through before each time I pitch.
My big problem is I don’t have routine that I can go through before the game but also in between pitches after I throw it.

Okay, Austin—let’s suppose right now that you’re concerned about strategy—how to deal with this hitter and that one. Way back when, I had a pitching coach who was a key member of the Yankees’ Big Three pitching rotation of the late 40s to the mid-50s—one of the greatest strategic pitchers in the history of the game. In one of what I called our “curbstone consultations” he introduced me to strategic pitching by telling me a spy story. The upshot of the whole thing was this: if you don’t have the speed, if you can’t overpower the hitters, you have to outthink and outfox them. You practice deception and misdirection, you let them think you’re going to throw them one pitch and then come in there with another, you learn to pitch backwards (in a fastball count you come in there with a changeup and vice versa). He told me a lot about this, and I listened and I picked up a lot of useful information and learned to use it to my advantage.
When I would warm up before a game I would go over the opposition batting order in my head, set up pitch sequences, figure out how I would pitch to this hitter and that to get him out. Then I would take the mound and let that computer inside my head go to work. Because I was a finesse pitcher with not much speed I made use of a whole closetful of breaking pitches, all revolving around a slider which I had nicknamed “Filthy McNasty” (after a character in an old W.C. Fields movie) because that was exactly what it was…and did I ever have fun making the batters look stupid! I can tell you this—if you have one best pitch, one that you can go to when you need it, use it for all it’s worth—and move it around and change speeds. There’s nothing like pitching and winning a good game to give a person a big shot of confidence!
There’s more, but this should do for a start. 8) :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher: