Med. Ball Weights

Hey guys,

What do you feel is a good weight for med. balls workouts when dealing with all levels of baseball ranging from junior high school to professional.

Also do you feel 10+ lbs is too heavy for a high school pitcher???

Thanks

I would say 10lbs is pretty heavy, I use an 8lb. It really just depends on what you’re going to do with it, if you were doing any over head throws I wouldn’t recomend anything above 8lbs. 6-8lbs will be plenty of weight for a high school player.

I have a 5 KG which is around 12 pounds. Thats what our staff uses for throws as well as abs.

Would you please describe some of the throws you do? I know you’re a college pitcher so you have a lot better information than me so would please mind sharing a little, I would really appreciate it.

we do Standing Oblique Toss, Sitting Oblique Toss, Seated oblique twists, vertical med ball toss

thats sitting oblique toss

That is vertical toss

A lot of our medball exercises are about be explosive and trying to use your core as explosively as possible.

http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/PDF/MedBall%20Handout.pdf

This page right here has every exercise we use. We don’t use all of them but all the ones we do are in there. If you want me to tell you specifically which ones from that website we use i can.

If not they are all great exercises for med balls

[quote=“UndersizedRHP”]http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/PDF/MedBall%20Handout.pdf

This page right here has every exercise we use. We don’t use all of them but all the ones we do are in there. If you want me to tell you specifically which ones from that website we use i can.

If not they are all great exercises for med balls[/quote]

thanks, that looks very similar to what I use, I use the ones in Tuff Cuff with a couple of other throws and some slams

At our facility (and on the road), we use 4-8 lb. medballs for hip toss and explosive work and 10+ lb. balls for slower and shorter ROM workouts (like the pronated dribble drill).

We also use soft Danskin 2-3 lb. “medballs” that we use for externa/internal rotation work.

Here’s a question for you guys. Since I just started throwing should I continue to do my overhead medicine ball throws or cut them out? It just seems like doing both puts a lot of pressure on my shoulder.

I think with med balls, just like free weights, you want to use a weight that allows you to complete all your reps USING GOOD FORM! Once you can do that weight for a period of 2 weeks or 3-6 workouts, you can increase weight. But Kyle’s suggestions on weight are pretty much the same for me and other pitchers in the Cubs organization.

I recommend cutting out all overhead pressing work in-season and substituting lots of overhead pulling work (pull-ups, chin-ups) and overhead slams with 4-8 lb. medballs. They’re still fine to do in-season, though I would limit it depending on how much you threw in a given week.

Eric Cressey doesn’t like any OH pressing in baseball athletes, but I don’t mind some neutral grip DB OH pressing off-season. I think it is very useful to balance the DB neutral grip bench press.