Mechanics-no ball- Stuck at Mid- high 80's

Just recovered from tendinitis.
I am trying to make a comeback for my D1 school.
I have disgusting movement on all of my pitches but i am just missing velocity.

Check out my vid. I have some bad flaws but I’ll let you critique them.

more hip shoulder seperation :o

Did you pause the video to make this assumption? I paused it on the first pitch and it seemed to me his hips were rotated ahead of his shoulders.

if you really have good movement, you don’t need more velocity. just throw strikes. additional velocity will probably hurt you more than help you. better get on a jobe style maintenance program and range of motion stretching to avoid additional tendonitis.

Did you pause the video to make this assumption? I paused it on the first pitch and it seemed to me his hips were rotated ahead of his shoulders.[/quote]
yes, but it never hurts to have more :slight_smile:

i have trouble gettin my back leg bent and the timing with my arms. I think y hands break too late.
What do you think?

Im 6’2
My strides like 6’4.
Thing is my arm doesnt catch up as fast, i do feel a big pull of my arm.

[quote=“RawTalent”]i have trouble gettin my back leg bent and the timing with my arms. I think y hands break too late.
What do you think?

Im 6’2
My strides like 6’4.
Thing is my arm doesnt catch up as fast, i do feel a big pull of my arm.[/quote]

This may sound stupid and it could be totally wrong but what about maby shortening up your stride as possibly a last resort. If your 2 inches over thats over 100%, and 100% stride isn’t neccessary either. Unless there are other ways to fix the problem your having that could work in theory.

Looks like you might be dragging your back leg a bit.

That probably has something to do with his stride being pretty long. I don’t think it’s too bad of a thing, but never know.

This isn’t stupid at all.

In some cases, overstriding can cause you to lock up your hips, which limits your hip/shoulder separation.

[quote=“RawTalent”]Just recovered from tendinitis.
I am trying to make a comeback for my D1 school.
I have disgusting movement on all of my pitches but i am just missing velocity.

Check out my vid. I have some bad flaws but I’ll let you critique them.

[/quote]

I agree that you may be overstriding.

You seem to open your hips a little early. Watch how soon your GS toe points at the target.

You leave your Pitching Arm Side (PAS) foot behind on the rubber. At the release point, you want your PAS foot bent 90 degrees because that helps your hips to keep rotating.

Also, your tendonitis may be due to your PAS elbow getting a little high.

Your timing is good and I believe you when you say you throw hard. You get lots of external rotation.

thanks guys.

Yea i was actuallyh looking at how my foots already pointin at the target.
I think the reason behind my draggin is because my back leg starts turning and moving towards my body once my front leg has landed. And due to my extremely long stride, this created the drag.

Then my hips open because my toe has already opened.

i think my primary focus should be to probably take an inch off my stride and get off the rubber with a quicker pace so my back leg doesnt drag as well as keeping closed until right before foot strike.

CorrecT?

I would suggest more like 6 inches.

I think you’re trying to get too much power from your stride and aren’t getting enough out of your core.

Are you a believer in momentum pitching?

Yeah but not exactly the way dick mills shows it with that low leg lift and super fast drive. I believe in the roots of the game. The way they did it back then and still today. I think I have potential if I work hard.

When I stride far i feel my arm whip very fast like its gonna fall off. The only thing I have trouble with are those flaws which are decreasing my velocity.

I have good stuff, my D1 coach even told me but my velocity needs to get up more.

Right now I have a 2seam, Sinker, Changeup, Slider.

Chris you seem like a very smart man as I saw your website.
I will keep making videos so you can critique me and help keep up with my performance, if thats alright.

just some humble advice…

if you are going to video tape your mechanics, i would do so throwing live to a catcher. Dry windups are good, to develop the muscle memory and repetition, i do not think they give a good view of what your real mechanics are. It’s easy to over exagerate your mechanics when your not throwing a ball, to a spot, to a catcher. That is the only true way to see what you are really doing.

that being said, one thing i did notice right away, is that you are drifting forward. Pause the video as your lift leg reaches its highest point, and look at how your weight is already out in front of your body. Thus regardless of how long your stride is, all your weight is out front. There is no transfer from the hips at that point because all your power is lost, which is key to velocity.

Overall though, your mechanics are not that bad. You have good arm speed through the zone. Also, you get your arm in the cocked position as your lead foot is landing, which is a good timing. You are def. getting excellent hip rotation/explosion, because your back leg is finishing very high (a sign of good hip movement) but the downside is there is no power waiting to be transfered, because it has drifited to the front right away as your lead leg is being lifted.

just my thoughts…

I agree absolutely! Looking at mechanics without actually throwing a ball is like watching someone play air guitar. The actually delivery may be completely different. [quote]that being said, one thing i did notice right away, is that you are drifting forward. Pause the video as your lift leg reaches its highest point, and look at how your weight is already out in front of your body. Thus regardless of how long your stride is, all your weight is out front. There is no transfer from the hips at that point because all your power is lost, which is key to velocity. [/quote]

I don’t agree here. I think his forward movement begins at the right time. Drifting forward as he and countless professional power pitchers do produces more power, fluidity, and consistency. But that is a hot-button topic with folks on both sides of the discussion. It’s my contention though that his follow through indicates a complete weight shift.

My chief observation is that his pitching arm doesn’t appear to have much “bounce”. It looks like he’s pushing the ball forward from the high cocked position.

Hose

True, it’s because I just finished a bullpen.

But here is a vid off a crappy hill so I am really not gettin that flex knee off the foot strike, but this is me throwing a ball.

This is exactly wrong.

No great pitchers come to the balance point. Rather, they drift through the top of the leg lift.

What he is doing is good, not bad.

[/quote]

This is exactly wrong.

No great pitchers come to the balance point. Rather, they drift through the top of the leg lift.

What he is doing is good, not bad.[/quote]

well then we agree to disagree. you cannot convince me for a minute that it is good to have all your weight going forward and then landing on your front leg with all that weight. Its exactly like a hitter drifting with all his weight out in front, and there is not transfer from the back to the front at the point of explosion.

It is just funny though alot of answers i see from ppl on here are cookie cutter responses. So by all means continue…

just to clarify. Obviously some drifting has to occur, it would be almost impossible to throw a ball without it. My point though, is that you cannot have your the majority of your weight landing on your lead foot. and it all starts in the beginning.

and i see a big differnce in the second video. the weight is more towards the negative than the extreme positive that apparently i only say. I may not have my own website, or have posted more than 2 msgs on here. but if you would like my credentials feel free to email me. i dont feel the need to post them on here to come off as arogant. jsn_42_42@hotmail.com

and one last thing, what worked for nolan ryan, or billy wagner, or gregg maddux will not work for me, but maybe you. What i say might help you, but not the other guy, and so goes with all the other advice on here, including anything i decide to post on here, so no disrespect to anyone… just alot of this needs to be taken with a grain of salt.