Mechanics need help

Finally got them up please give tips

http://www.vimeo.com/7423530

Is this vid working?? No one responding

I’ll respond. You are dropping your front arm out. It doesn’t square to the target before throwing at all, just drops down and out. I have ways to work on that but it incorporates a modified version of the “T” position. You have good lower body motion. I would say you are having control problems. That is my assessment.

Yea your right my control has always sucked, but im not sure what you mean when you say my front arm is dropping out and it isnt squared to the target

It also looks like my non throwing arm is just waving around as I finish my motion .Not sure though

I think you drop the glove and go into shoulder rotation too early. My suggestion would be to extend the glove arm out in front in a way that mirrors the throwing arm and to keep it there as long as possible - or as close to front foot plant as possible. That will let you keep the shoulders closed longer and rotate later.

If it feels like you’re having to hold the glove out front too long, then get your hips moving forward sooner and get into foot plant a tiny bit sooner.

[quote=“Roger”]I think you drop the glove and go into shoulder rotation too early. My suggestion would be to extend the glove arm out in front in a way that mirrors the throwing arm and to keep it there as long as possible - or as close to front foot plant as possible. That will let you keep the shoulders closed longer and rotate later.

If it feels like you’re having to hold the glove out front too long, then get your hips moving forward sooner and get into foot plant a tiny bit sooner.[/quote]

Okay thanks Roger I’ll work on that, any more tips?

Lengthen your stride, it helps your control and gives you as much as 5 mph on your heat.

Can you or anyone else explain this drill?

It’s on youtube, type in the Hershiser drill.

Thanks Kevinbert28. I am a huge fan of Orel Hershiser as a coach, but did not know this was posted on the internet.

I believe Tom House is instructing the drill.

hmm… well I once had a pitching instruction video with Orel teaching the mechanics of pitching. I loved that video and based many of my beliefs in it. I really had an admiration for Orel “The Bulldog” ever since.

I got his card, and I can’t find it. :lol:

Actually the video would have been from the 1990’s and Orel actually was a pitching coach for the Texas Rangers as well. I do not know what year he was pitching coach for the Rangers but I wished he went to the Mariners, lol. It was 2002 they named him pitching coach for the Rangers. I think they did a great job, at one point they were 4th in the league in team ERA in perhaps the friendliest park to hitters.