Mechanics help: releasing the backside

Im currently having a little bit of trouble with both my tempo and realeasing the backside anybody hae any tips/drills to improve these two problems? Im 6’3" 190 lb college freshman currently sittin 86-88.

Please clarify exactly what you mean by “releasing the backside”.

I am referring to the follow through of the pitch or evrything that happens once my front foot has already hit the ground. I am looking to generate more power and become more efficient through the process after my front foot lands. I threw the ball the other day over 330 ft from home plate over fence howver im only 86-88 so im looking to clean up my mechanics.

Perhaps you can post some video…

I wish i had access to a video camera however I am off at school playing NAIA ball and our coach does not believe in videoing us. He says i am geting arm through release however i do not let it continue through such as guys like lincecum and bauer get their back hip to be in front of their front hip after ball release. I know i am not geting thtrough the pitch like abuer or lincecum any suggestions?

That coach is off his rocker.
Video can help pitchers. MLB pitchers study video all the time (not literally- I mean they use it alot).
How are you going to see what you are doing wrong,
if you aren’t video-taped and can look at it yourself?
What does the coach mean by “getting arm through release”?
Could you explain (if you know)?

Oh, another long-tosser. Does the coach require you to long-toss?
About generating more power-
how long is your stride? A longer stride can help a pitcher generate more momentum toward the plate, resulting in better velocity (don’t make the stride so long that the pitcher can’t control the rest of his body properly, though).

That coach is off his rocker.
Video can help pitchers. MLB pitchers study video all the time (not literally- I mean they use it alot).
How are you going to see what you are doing wrong,
if you aren’t video-taped and can look at it yourself?
What does the coach mean by “getting arm through release”?
Could you explain (if you know)?[/quote]
Agreed, while you can learn a lot while watching a pro pitcher pitch, you can also learn a lot by seeing yourself pitch and in turn comparing the video.

I highly suggest getting video of your throwing motion, otherwise you cannot truly understand what you look like as you pitch.

I second the motion (I highly suggest getting video of your throwing motion).
And sometimes on video, you can even catch little things you are doing
that you aren’t able to catch while just watching a pitcher.
Slow motion video is good. Video can help pitchers alot.

Sounds to me like your coach is pointing out a symptom of a problem that occurs earlier in your delivery. Chances are you’ve got something going on earlier in the delivery that prevents you from getting out over your front foot. But it’s tough to say what it is without seeing you pitch.

In general, if you maintain a stable posture through your delivery, get your butt moving to create some momentum, and you take care of your glove side to allow your shoulders to stay closed and rotate late then you should be able to get out over the front foot and your finish will probably look better. Keep in mind that a good finish isn’t really a goal. Rather, it’s more an indicator of having things done earlier well.

I do the jaeger long toss to devleop athleticism , arm strength, and condition the arm. Roger I also have been told by my coach to sync up my hands wiht my knee meaning raise tyhem up at the same time. I feel as if i have a tempo issue as i do not feel like i have a great rythm. Im also looking for suggestions to get my lower half going quicer and be more powerful. My stride is over 6 feet its just I dont feel like i get over the front hip very powerfully.Any thoughts?

Sounds like you need to get your center of gravity moving sooner/faster. Somepitchers reach with the front foot and, while they’re able to achieve relatively long strides, they don’t get out over the front foot and they don’t “finish” the way other pitchers do. Put some focus on pushing the front hip (sideways) a little bit sooner and faster than you currently do. A series of small adjustments in better than one big adjustment in this case.

Also, check out the Hershiser Drill:

There’s also the Crossover and Narrow Stance Drills that are worth doing. To do the Crossover Drill, go from the stretch and get into your set position. Cross your front foot over the back foot. Bend your knees enough to get both feet flat on the ground. Preset your front hip by sticking it out towards home plate. Pitch. The crossover position plus the preset hip position sort of lets gravity give you a push-start to get your hips moving early. The preset hip position also helps you lead with your front hip.

The narrow stance drill is the same as the crossover drill except your feet are not crossed over - they’re side by side and touching. Follow this up with your normal stance. As you progress from crossover to narrow stance to normal stance, gravity will do less and you’ll have to do more.

“I do the jaeger long toss to devleop athleticism , arm strength, and condition the arm.” how do you think this has helped you so far? tough to really give an opinion w/o video

[quote=“CardsWin”]
Oh, another long-tosser.[/quote]

haha

Look at the drag line your rubber foot is creating. If it appears to look like a mini trench, this could cause a decrease in velocity and also cause the problem your are stating, even if you are getting heel to sky. You need to video tape or get a team mate to get a few throws with his cell phone and post. You will then probably get this solved before the season starts and add a couple mph as well.

Drewski my arm feels strong but due to the weather conditions i havent been able to long toss the past week. Tomorrow i throw a pen at practice and I am going to ask the coach to video me.

Here is the video from todays pen unfortunately we ran and lifted ebfore this so i wasnt as fresh but heres rough shot of my mechanics. I felt i didnt have as much arm speed or power today. Please let me know what you see.

[quote=“cagunheat15”]Here is the video from todays pen unfortunately we ran and lifted ebfore this so i wasnt as fresh but heres rough shot of my mechanics. I felt i didnt have as much arm speed or power today. Please let me know what you see.

Just a couple things I noticed. Your hips aren’t leading to the plate, roughly when you come up to the peak of your leg lift is when the hips will begin, or should begin, leading to the plate. Also, be more deliberate with your follow through. A few times you spin off and keep that right foot in the air. You need to be able to field the ball, not to mention that you will lose some momentum if that foot doesn’t get planted properly.
I estimate that you are driving about 75-80% of your height, when you should try and drive 85-95% of your height.
Also, just a side note from the stretch. When you come set, your hands move up 2 inches and back down 2 inches, then you pitch. This might be considered a balk to an umpire because it is deceiving.

My stride is actually in the 6 feet area, i feel out of ryhtym today. Are you saying my hips start towards the plate too early or do not lead at all?

From what I can see, it looked like your hips were not leading at all. But then again, I only watched the hips in 2 of your throws mechanically, and therein might be the issue. It seemed like you were inconsistent with your throwing, as sometimes you left the right foot in the air, other times you follow through, and once or twice you fell off to the first base side.

Do you have any drill sugestions?