Mechanics Help Please

So I was planning on using my mom’s recorder while I threw a bullpen with my catcher and pitching coach. What I ended up doing here was using my Ipod to record me throwing off the mound to a buddy with no catching gear. Anyway since he wasn’t in gear and my arm was a little sore I wasn’t throwing 100%, and I don’t want to say I was goofing off but this wasn’t all that serious.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Looks like from your post your movement to home and hip turn is slow, I would expect a more explosive and more athletic movement.

The first thing I would start correcting is your hand position at balance and back leg. I was never a fan of bringing hands up only because I think it throws off mechanics. Keep your hands at chest level and in closer to your body. Break your hands at belt level.

Next, take a look at your posture at hand break. Your back knee lowers to the point where it is over or past your back foot. This kills velocity. The back knee should never pass the back foot at your toe.

Hmm ok
@buwhite-I’ve always had a slow delivery and when I’m throwing hard I can reach up to low 80s. I personally love that since it’s a slow delivery and then it’s on you. I’ve tried having a more forceful push off the mound and using my whole body to throw the ball and I usually see a BIG velocity increase, but I also see a BIG loss of control. As for the hip turn at the end I never really noticed that so I’ll try having a more forceful turn.

@dusty-I’ve always done that with my hands, so at this point wouldn’t taking that out throw off my mechanics? And I didn’t notice my back leg problem so I’ll definitely look into that and try to fix it.

personally, i think your main focus should be to get you butt/hips moving towards the target before you get to the top of your leg raise. your slower timing is caused because you are waiting to get your legs loaded (which you should). if your butt was 6-12" closer to the target at leg raise, your timing will speed up which means more velocity and no major change in accuracy.

i’m sure you have heard of the Hershiser drill. do it…a lot. practice falling towards the target as you leg raise.

@singtall Thanks for mentioning that. I had a bullpen today and I was throwing better than I have, well harder anyway. Only problem now is that I keep falling off. Like I can’t balance myself after my follow through like I used to. Any ideas on that?

One thing I noticed from this angle is the front foot/leg: it appears as though you are landing a bit closed and your foot turns outward to the left. You need to keep it straight at the plate or a bit closed - toes pointing toward the right handed batter’s box. You also need to brace up the front leg; as it is, you are allowing the leg to collapse and you are losing a lot of energy transfer here.

what he said is correct. leg strength is the key to bracing up a strong leg. even Tim Lincecum started running stadiums again to build up leg strength. you should include some short runs or “suicides” into your warm-up routine. maybe even add some squats. it’s easy to add momentum, it’s a lot harder to stop it with some degree of control.

overall its good

if one day, you feel at the back of the shoulder is sore,

try to adjust the arm swing, start from side body instead towards your back

Thanks again but when it comes to my front knee I doubt I’ll get it to bend for awhile. I’m coming off an knee injury and it’s hard to see in the vid but I am still wearing a knee brace. So I’m more or less near 100% but I just can’t seem to get over the idea of injuring it again, since I did injure it while in a game. So I keep telling myself to bend it but my body just doesn’t want to, if that makes any sense.

not sure if we are talking about the same thing. in the video, you are all knee bend…with both legs. but you never straighten up that lead leg to brace at any time.

watch how he straightens his front leg to stop his forward movement at about 36 seconds.

[quote=“singtall”]not sure if we are talking about the same thing. in the video, you are all knee bend…with both legs. but you never straighten up that lead leg to brace at any time.

watch how he straightens his front leg to stop his forward movement at about 36 seconds.[/quote]

No we are talking about the same thing…I guess I interpreted my pitching coach wrong. He is old so he can’t show us as much as he wants. Like he always taught us to LAND on a bent front knee, but he never really told us to straighten it after impact. So I’ve been focusing on keeping that front knee bent since freshmen year=/. Well guess I can work on that thanks