Mechanics for a rusty 22 year old

Hey all…

Hows it going?
I just recently joined/researched this forum…
I am in desperate need for a better/cheaper way of finding what I am doing wrong with my mechanics.

To lay it short.
I have not played ball since I was like 14, and I loved to pitch.
8 years later I somehow woke up and had a desire to get good at pitching.
I dont care about MLB material… I just want to get good at pitching.
I am currently in a league who I run the team and try to pitch as much as I can.
First season we went 0-20 LOL.
From day one, which was oh around christmas time of 2010 to today , I have worked every 3 days in the bullpen, no joke.
I have worked my butt off, first priority is this.
Since day one to now. I threw a mere 55 mph, now I throw a mere 75 mph fastball.
However, its not the speed that I like , its my accuracy .
I can throw 7 out of 10 strikes with out being a question of if I can or not.
But I cannot throw 7 out of 10 GOOD strikes over and over again.
I am feeling a bit embarrassed by showing my you tube videos.
However, I want to know what I am doing wrong.
I tend to pull my left arm up when I am pitching which makes people wonder why.
Its something I always have done.
And by now What can I possibly do to make my mechanics better?

Please take a look and do not be too harsh… THank you.

What can you do? Well there is plenty you could work on, more hip drive, later break of your hands, staying closed longer, more hip torque and pulling the ball down through your arm swing.

What do you think is the most important for you to begin working on.

One of the best things you can work on is the “Hershiser drill”, which aims at getting the hips fully involved—and which will help immensely with shaking off the rust. It doesn’t require any special equipment, just a fence or a wall. Here’s the pitch: You want to drive off the lower half of the body. using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, because doing this is the real key to a pitcher’s power—you generate more power behind your pitches and also take a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder so you can throw harder—and faster—with less effort. It makes for a smoother follow-through.
And in conjunction with this drill, you can do something like what I used to do when I was a little snip. Get a catcher, go to an unused playing field, have him set up behind the plate with a mitt while you take the mound, and the two of you play a little game we called “ball and strike” way back when. The catcher positions his mitt in various spots, hig, low, inside, outside, and you concentrate on getting the ball into the pocket of the mitt—actually throw through it, not jujst at it. And to get comfortable with the idea of repeating your motion so that you can throw strikes consistently, do it for several minutes at a time; have your catcher position his mitt, say, on the inside corner, and keep it there, and you work on repeating your delivery. Oh, I know, it takes time—remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day—but with practice and perseverance you can and will do it. Practice that move with your catcher’s mitt in the other spots as well. You can also have someone stand in the batter’s box so you can work on the strike zone.
Any more questions, we’re here to help. Good luck de-rusting. 8)

Your stride is too long for your mechanics. Your trying to hard to reach forward. Work on smooth mechanics the stride length will come later.

You think his stride is too long? Why shorten his stride to get other things to catch up that will just slow down other parts of his delivery? Keep the stride the same, or lengthen it, work on getting other parts of your delivery to sync up with your stride.

Never really heard too many people suggest to shorten a pitchers stride!

Because he wont be able to get the other stuff to catch up properly, unless he goes to a real instructor. But he is here on the FREE forum… So the easiest fix is to shorten the stride.

Few people have long strides for a reason… its hard to do.

I don’t agree…so it’s your opinion that only a “real” pitching instructor will be able to help this pitchers timing? Honestly you have some of the most reliable sources adding comments right here, even if it’s free but obviously you feel the comments on this forum are not very useful and the only comments that can be made the help this pitcher involve a regression of his pitching mechanics.

I do agree that a long stride is “hard to do”, so we shouldn’t encourage him to shorten it to make it easier, we should give him advice that will get him to the next level, shortening the stide won’t do that, once the pitcher understands what to do to get to the next level, in this case keeping his stride the same and working on the timing of his break, keeping the front side closed longer and finishing his pitch then it definately is up to him in order to put the work in and meet try to meet the next level.