Mechanics -- Can someone take a look please

Hi guys Im 20 years old. I haven’t posted in a while. But I just got my mechanics filmed and I was wondering if you guys could please take a look and provide any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

any ideas guys???

Thank you.

How tall are you? From the video it looks like you’re about 6 ft+. For the most part your mechanics look pretty good. Very smooth. The only thing is that your stride looks very short for your size. In order to generate velocity you need to really get your body moving towards home plate to gain some momentum. More momentum towards the plate = longer stride = velo.

Hope this helps

[quote=“the_K_king#2”]your stride looks very short for your size. In order to generate velocity you need to really get your body moving towards home plate to gain some momentum. More momentum towards the plate = longer stride = velo.
[/quote]

I would modify that equation to speed of movement + distance from the rubber = more velocity. One can’t increase speed by increasing the distance between the feet. Increased momentum toward home does not automatically mean your stride will increase. It only means that more distance is being gained toward home plate. Besides most people take this literally and reach out with their front leg more. This causes them to be lower and longer, but does not allow them to keep their torsos over their front knee and prevents trunk flexion.

With that difference aside, I agree that insufficient momentum is being generated toward home for someone of your size.

One factor is going vertical at leg lift robs potential forward momentum that can be gained during the lift itself. As the leg comes up, the front hip should begin moving down the target line. Vertical lift to balance point should be avoided. Balance point tends to be translated into stopping point by a lot of pitchers. There should be no stops or pauses in a delivery after set position.

Also, experiment with bending the back leg to different degrees in an attempt to get more lateral movement from your push off. Remember, the back leg wants to bend but not collapse. If you are wasting energy upward to compensate for a collapse, that is energy that can not be directed forward toward the plate. I’m not seeing collapse in your delivery, but I’m not sure you are at optimum bend angle for your delivery either.

The intensity of the push off is a key point. That intensity starts at hand break. If you have a slow hand break, you can not have an intense push. Often speeding up the hand break will increase the power generated from the push. Don’t confuse speeding up the hand break with breaking earlier. We do not want earlier hand break. We want it explosive and from near the waist.

Increasing the energy generated from the push off will increase energy being transmitted down the hill into foot strike. The foot strike will happen closer to home plate and with more power. It will increase actual and visual velocity at the same time.

Thank you guys for the advice and comments.

So you both agree that I should increase my stride and almost push harder with my back leg to follow through to the plate.

I am close to 6’2 so I agree that I need to increase my stride.

You do appear to start moving forward but then that forward motion stop at peak of knee lift. Rather than the goal be to lengthen your stride, it should be to maintain continuous forward motion. This will have positive benefits:

(1) Increased momentum
(2) Release point closer to home plate
(3) Improved energy transfer via better timing - It also appears that your throwing arm pauses momentarily at the high-cocked position which leaks momentum/energy. Continuing to move forward (assuming you move fast enough) will eliminate the extra time in your delivery that allows your arm to pause.

Do these things well and a longer stride should also result. Again, a longer stride isn’t the goal, it’s an indicator of having done other things well.

Well said Roger…

Do these things well and a longer stride should also result. Again, a longer stride isn’t the goal, it’s an indicator of having done other things well.

Exactly. You all made my point a little more clear. I was simply using a “longer stride” as a sort of device that allowed for a visualization of an increase in momentum. The goal is not to lunge and reach for a longer stride; it is to use more energy and gain more momentum so that your stride naturally becomes longer. Stride length is just a way to be able to roughly quantify how much energy your using and how much momentum you’re gaining. Also, if you try to implement our advice just be sure not to rush to the plate and drag your back side because that will only make things worse.