Mechanics Analysis

I’m new to the boards, have been reading a bunch of posts that you guys have up here and have found the information very useful, unfortunately I don’t have a video camera so I can’t tape myself pitching at the moment. I do have a photo from last year though. Hopefully I can find someone with a camera where I can film myself in the motion, but until then, this will have to do.

My mechanics haven’t changed since the time of the picture. I have found out that my problem has generally been my control over the years, other players and coaches have deemed me, “effectively wild” and having the “heavy ball” . I have a good amount of natural movement. I do step to the side in my windup, but a very small step, much more of a small pick-up and turn than a step.

When I was younger I did have some rotator cuff tendinitis, to the point where I couldn’t lift my arm in certain spots and I think that it’s still lingering but not physically as much as mentally. I hit a wall after that point.

I was just wondering if there were any tips that you guys had according to that picture, I know it’s not much to go off of, but any tips would be greatly appreciated, as my wooden bat summer league is quickly approaching. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Muta182”]I’m new to the boards, have been reading a bunch of posts that you guys have up here and have found the information very useful, unfortunately I don’t have a video camera so I can’t tape myself pitching at the moment. I do have a photo from last year though. Hopefully I can find someone with a camera where I can film myself in the motion, but until then, this will have to do.

My mechanics haven’t changed since the time of the picture. I have found out that my problem has generally been my control over the years, other players and coaches have deemed me, “effectively wild” and having the “heavy ball” . I have a good amount of natural movement. I do step to the side in my windup, but a very small step, much more of a small pick-up and turn than a step.[/quote]

The photo shows that you have great hip/shoulder separation; your hips rotate well ahead of your shoulders. That means you know how to throw with your entire body and not just your arm.

Do consciously show the ball to 2B/CF?

I don’t know I consciously show the ball to 2B/CF but I know from the footage that I have seen of myself pitch, that my arm does reach back towards that area. I notice that my arm tends to come behind my pivot foot and kind of “peek” out of my side.

your arm seems kind of low. If its too low you wont be able to use your back/shoulder ti throw to its fullest. bring ur elbow around shoulder weight (i was told above the should but i dont seem a bigg difference)

I would be careful with who you are getting your advice from. Actually his arm is in a pretty good position at that point. As your arm comes closer to shoulder height or even above, you are putting a ton of extra strain on your shoulder and elbow and setting youself up for some arm troubles. Look at pictures of Greg Maddux and you will see that his arm is in the same general area. I also agree with Chris that the hip/shoulder separation is evident in the photo and looks very good. It is difficult to see anything else from just a still shot. A video clip would be awesome if you could get one in the future.

My two cents has me wondering about you clearing your head, pulling it away and to the left it is a common cause of accuracy issues.
As far as the comment of being concerned as to whose advice you should listen to…Hear all comments, throw out the stupid, dumb and the stuff that makes no sense, filter the stuff that does make sense and take it all with a grain of salt…This is the internet and if you sit and watch long enough you’ll hear just about everything twice. :shock:

I agree.

Many pitchers’ PAS elbows are much lower at this point than people believe.

If the PAS elbow is too high at this point, then I believe that you run an increased risk of having impingement problems ala Jonathan Papelbon…

I am worried about Adam Wainwright’s shoulder for a similar reason…

I appreciate all the comments guys, and the whole thing with the comments and where I get them from, that’s how I’ve always been. I’m open to everything someone has to say, but ultimately, it’s my body and I just have to make the best decisions. :slight_smile:

I hope to have a video soon, for some reason it’s hard trying to find a friend who wants to come out to a field with a camera to just have me pitch for 10 minutes. Some friends I have, huh? hehe