Mechanics advice

Hi, my names Aydan, i’m a sophmore pitcher in Kansas. I’m about to be 16. While i’ve been doing weights training two times a day for over a year now, i’m a vegetarian and naturally very skinny. i’m 6’2 and weigh 142. I was always a sidearm pitcher until Freshman year, when I was converted to full submarine. Not to be too egotistical, but I did pretty well on the JV team, with a few complete game shutouts. However, I started taking pitching lessons and was told I have “College movement on my fastball and curveball” when throwing over the top. So, is there anything I should be weary of if I begin throwing over the top, such as injuries that I might be more suseptable to because of my skinniness? Would I still be getting the same movement if I was throwing sidearm or submarine?

Good to have you on the forum. Do you have any video?

Unfortunately no.

What’s your FB velocity from the side and from the top?

Submarine is about 74 at it’s max, and over the top its lower-mid 80’s. I haven’t been clocked from the side.

Other than your body weight do you have any reason to believe you are at any special risk? Have you been training for baseball at all?
You should probably should find a trainer to talk with about specific deficiencies you may have. (everybody has some).
Just like meat consumers, you need to find good clean sources of protein and fats (nuts, alternate grains, avocado, and eggs and fish, if permissible).

Talk with more than one guy you trust about your best pitching technique. I think most guys throw harder overhand but almost every college team wants a spot guy or reliever who throws with a low slot. These guys usually do not throw as hard, so your lower weight might not be as big a disadvantage.

You want to be strong though, so start looking for ways to increase your strength and ways to support your body with good nutrition. Also, if you want to play in college, be the best student you can be. It will give you a lot more options.

Good luck!

Just saw your post. How high is over the top exactly. Can you locate from the top. That is pretty good velocity for that body weight.

Locate? Do you mean accuracy? My fastball and curveball are pretty pinpoint from both angles, but I can also throw a change over the top that I can’t from sub. I can get my change in the zone most of the time.

Yes I mean accuracy. Sounds like yours is good. What angle are you over the top?

Just plain over the top. i’m nowhere near 3/4 or anything.

You say you have been doing training two times a day? What exactly do you do each day?

It sounds like over the top may be good for you. Can’t really say anything mechanically without seeing some video.

http://i.minus.com/ibrOD2qOwxYDI0.gif

In my opinion you need to improve your velocity from the side/sub if you decide to stay there with your arm slot. I like your chances from the top, knowing absolutely nothing else about your situation other than you throw 10+ mph harder. At your age, mid 80s is legit.

A lot of side arm guys in the pros were “over the top” guys first who dropped down later in their careers because it was the only way they could stay.

And most if not all current MLB side armers still throw high 80s and into the 90s.

The reason I ask about injuries is because i’ve had some troubles with tendonitis flaring up in the past. it started from my lower slot but has continued to be an annoyance from the top. I’m taking the two weeks off before the season from throwing and conditioning to see if it’ll help, but before that my workout was a standard weights class, then after school i would do a pitcher specific routine with 1 core life (bench, power clean or squat) and do the other lifts for pitchers, focusing a lot on core, forearm and wrist work. On top of that, i’ve been doing a lot of elbow specific routines to help strengthen it, and while not completely pain free yet, i’m very hopeful i’ll be there by the time season starts. the reason I question my arm slot is because I don’t know if my arm is quite strong enough to be throwing low-mid 80’s yet, and was wondering if dropping would reduce my risk of further injuring my elbow, or if most young pitcher go through something like this?

Regarding my throwing program, I generally at least a flatground throw every 2-3 day, and one bullpen every week. I go through the same routine each time: 3 2 seams inside, 3 4 seam down the middle, 3 4 seams away, 3 2 seam circle change inside, 3 4 seam circle change middle, 3 4 seam change away, followed by 3 curves inside, middle, away.

You say tendonitis who gave you that diagnosis? Doctor or PT?

If you are weight training everyday, you probably need to cut that out. your body needs time to recover so it can heal and grow. What are your splits?

Pull ups, cleans, back squats (without a safety bar) and any elbow heavy work needs to be cut out now. Find a good PT or Good Sports Trainer and talk to them. If money is an issue find one who will talk to you for free. They are out there.

Contact Cressey or TreadAthletics and get as much information as you can.

What specific elbow exercises have you been doing?
I don’t think you will be well advised to completely stop throwing 2 weeks before the season starts. Very light throwing while stopping the elbow workouts may be better but you need to find someone local to talk to and get your pain under control as soon as possible.

I am not trying to alarm you but I want you to talk to someone who can give you some idea of what is going on. That can’t happen over the internet.

It sounds like you may have some talent, don’t take it for granted. Take care of your arm.

Good luck.

I had it diagnosed by a chiropractor, and he worked on it several times. I have a Sports Doctor appointment set up in about a week, and I went to a regular doctor who gave me an anti inflammatory. I have cut out my after school workout for the time being, of course during school is required, but I try to take it easy. I haven’t had any pain at weights for a while now. I had a shoulder ligament issue awhile ago and while it still occasionally makes a popping noise, there isn’t any more pain. i’ll be sure to rest my arm for quite awhile after summer ball.

Sounds like you are on it. Good job. Do you have control of what exercises you do during school. Maybe you can get a program from your sports doctor visit?

My son had his first case of tendonititis last fall before last, really alarmed me as it was his first real injury. From what I read a short rest would normally cure unless it had been continually agrivatted over time. My son took a week off & had no problems since. What I remember reading if it was a severe case would take several months of rest, never had to go down that road. Have you taken at least a couple of weeks complete down time? If so & its still bothering you may be time to see an orpethitic doctor with experience treating baseball pitchers. Read a lot of sites, some probably reliable & some probably not. Do think I read chronic tendonitis is an issue some pitchers experience prior to needing TJ surgery. Not trying to scare you, but continuing pain is not normal. Probably minor, just don’t want to make it a major issue. Think I’d see a doc.

Quick update, my elbows still been bothering me, worse now. I haven’t been throwing nearly as fast. My coach is letting me take a few days off. I went to a sports doctor, they said its a shoulder blade issue, and I have a bunch of stretches and excersizes to do for it. He said i’m okay to pitch, however my arm will probably feel fatigued for the first half of the season. Major bummer considering the first games in 2 weeks. Looks like it’s JV for me for the time being.

I was getting private lessons from a coach who said I definitely had potential throwing in college. I had quite a bit more velocity than last year. Then, my first game, I got rocked. 4 runs in one inning. I got spooked and want to throw sidearm again. I showed my instructor both ways of throwing. I couldn’t even get the ball over the plate from over the top, and I wasn’t hitting my spot sidearm everytime, but it was a lot more consistent. Now, he was saying “If you keep getting stronger and get it under control, there a chance you’ll play after high school.” a total loss in confidence. Do sidearmers just not get the same affection as their ‘normal’ counterparts? Or am I really just losing that much velocity by bending more at the knees? What are some key ways to get noticed by scouts, and what are some ways to improve sidearm velocity? Or, should I be sticking with over the top?