Mechanics Advice?

Can I get some advice on my mechanics? I am going to use the fall to improve my mechanics, accuracy and velocity. I will be playing 14U next year.

BU …

You look solid. Good center maturity in the pelvic, abs, lumbar and shoulder area.

The biggest thing that I see, is that micro mound that you’re working off of. Now, I know that’s out of your control, but … work off of a larger mound, that’ll supporting your repeated performance -that I see here, and you’ll be a force that’ll be notice … if your not already.

Just one question … you’re competing in a 14U classification? You look big for that age group. Also, you look as though you’ve had some formal coaching. Is this assumption on my part accurate? Or, are you self taught? Before I pass on more obersvations, it would help to know.

Why?

Because I see techniques in your performance that I recognize - detail stuff. Very good detail.

Coach B.

Coach B.

the tournies that we have been to this year all seem to have those dinky mounds, i hate them, always seem to be stepping right into a hole and that day was the worst felt like the end of a diving board, my stride is about 105% and stepping onto the end of the mound sucks, i think i had to shorten my stride a little off that one and that wans’t the worst, some you have to step onto the ground

I do work with pitching coach near where I like in olathe kansas, he is really cool to work with but with all the games we play it’s has been hard to get there, of course he has an awesome mound and i like to pitch off it. should be able to get there this fall

I am 13 and will turn 14 in December, i hope that my team will play some 60/90 next year and i can pitch off some real high school mounds

You continue with that coach, he’s doing right by you. He’s incorporting small things that require a lot of focus and discipline. It’s apparent that you’ve paid attention, when you should.

More than likely, he’s going to start advanced platform routines with you. Your legs, pelvic, lumbar, abs, shoulders and arms are all platforms that he’s going to start demanding more and more seperate responsiblity from. These parts of your body will be trained to support more loads and stress. By doing so, he’ll show you how to enhance your endurance and use your body to “totally” pitch. Pay particular attention here. Stay with it. Don’t subordinate this time for other things. Getting good, then better, then perfecting one phase of your ability — then moving on to the next, requires a lot of discipline and sacrafice. It may be a lonely time for you, addressing this phase of your coaching - but stay with it.

You have excellent potential, good physical control, strong control of your posture and it’s obvious that you’re going places.

Last thing - the next time that you see your pitching coach- THANK HIM for the work that he’s shown you. He’s worth every second of your time. It really shows.

My sincere best wishes for your sucess.

Coach B.

Thanks Coach B.

I really want to make a difference this fall, i dont’ think i am going to play football and just focus on baseball, my dad wants me to take a month off so that i can rest. then play some fall ball, take some more rest and then focus around november on improving hitting and pitching.

Thanks again,

wow i would’ve never guessed you were thirteen. Your almost 3 years younger than me and you were giving me advice on my pitching. Good stuff.

Wow, 14U thats astounding, you look like a major league pitcher. How fast do you throw? I like your stride, I try to get my son to reach about 80% now.

After one session when he seemed to be throwing much harder I asked him if he was exerting himself and he said no just stepping a little further.

The only comment I would make from this video (would be nice to see closer up and from the side), is that you seem to move kind of slow and robotic. I would like to see you move with more explosiveness by speeding up the tempo and having the intention of moving as fast as possible while still maintaining your mechanics. I’m sure others may disagree but I’m a proponent of generating as much momentum as possible before the arm delivers the baseball.

My dad and I use the same account and we both leave comments and advice, guess I should have started my own but we look through and talk about the post together so its fun.

I was 73 to start the season and 71 at the end, would like to hit 75-76 by the time we start next year. change up usually 63-64 and knuckle curve slow and knuckle splitter late break.

I will ask my dad and see what we might have.

Without shutting out others on this site and their contributions for you, I would like to point out some things that would be helpful to you.

• You are so lucky to have a dad that goes tick-for-tack with you on this site, and is there for you, working sided by side. With his help and support you will exceed your expectations and have a lasting father-n-son relationship that will be so important as you get older - as he does. Keep these time close to your heart. They’ll go by faster than you realize.

• You will, no doubt, be asked to quicken the pace of your motion(s). And with good reason(s). However, that “thing” that you’re pitching off of does nothing to support your work and trying to compensate for it by changing ANYTHING in your composure will serve you not. Stick to the way and method in which you must deal with that “thing” that your pitching off of, for the time being.

• Your pitching coach has addressed a certain “order” in your progress. I noticed that as soon as you started your step back, prior to stabilizing your pivot foot. As you progressed further, I noticed that he has structured your pitching cycle into “parts”, where one “part” actually builds and supports the next, in line. It’s obvious that you’ve paid attention and are actually putting his instruction to good use. Stick with it.

• Without being rude to those that follow, I would suggest sticking with your pitching coach … word for word, and take what’s offered here as casual information, worth “thinking” about, but not beyond. Again, I don’t mean to insult any intention or desire to help you, but, rely on your pitching coach for bringing you along. He’s good - very good.

• Give yourself the credit that you deserve! You seem to do justice to the time spent and all the attention that’s been directed your way. You are a natural at this. Now I’m going to qualify myself here by saying that I do not, nor do I intend, to get involved with youth amateur ball. But, for your age, and the way I see you work on the video presented here, you’re going places, son … going big. You stick with this quality of performance and instill in your body motion the feelings of purpose to every movement. More than likely your pitching coach will start that part of your development - I would.

• Don’t sell out to throwing harder at the expense of subordinating good form and accuracy with pitch location. You’re young, still growing and under a learning curve that has a lot of up’s-n-downs coming. Stay with it. Your dad will be your sounding board - talk to him on a regular basis, talk over every coaching session, every game, every step of the way. And by the way, where your about to go in life … your dad has already been there. Want to know a tour guide on life that’ll help you out - he’s right next to you. Your Dad.

Coach B.

Thanks Coach B.

i had a bullpen yesterday with my dad and went about 30 pitches, a little off but the speed was good, only bounced one to him. we only did that many since i want to increase my hitting even more this fall. i needed it since i am trying out for a team to play fall with sunday. i am going to talk to my dad about getting me back in with my pitching coach earlier than we were thinking before, maybe 6-8 weeks from now and then go every other week, is that a schedule that you like for the winter and does that count as a good rest for the winter

One from the other view, this was early in the season, i just got a cast off my left hand one week before.

One more later in the season from the stretch. I think that was close to a quick pitch, i think i got called for one later in the game

Dang it, I didn’t realize that I made the 2 new videos private…grrr. ok now you can see them

Here I am at at scrim game today. 6 batters, 5 strike outs, 1 ground ball.

very good pitching mechanics!!!

i believe you throw more than 130 pitches…

your arm may not feel too tire ^^

It’s not that I don’t feel strong enough to do it, I did go 120 pitches in a game last summer but it was a 8 inning extras that we lost, but my pitching coach has me at 80-90 for the weekend to make sure that I don’t get tired etc. You know it really makes me try to get ground balls and balls in play more than strike outs. The last vidoe post was that I was just going 6 or 7 batters and I wanted the strikeouts. I was also working on a little different arm slot that really seemed to make my change up really move.

I’m sure Coach B would agree with me on this: Power is secondary to placement. It is the little things that make a pitcher dominant. The last second break on a curve ball. That two inch drop from your change.

Striking someone out isn’t necessarily an indicator of that level of perfection. Getting a hitter to do something they shouldn’t do is.

It seems to me that you are just as dedicated to the game as your pitching coach and father. If you show that same dedication to all that you do, you will be truly great in any path you choose.

BTW, anyone who tells you that you need to pick up the pace of your motion (and isnt your coach or dad) never read anything from John Wooden. A slow motion is the difference between being quick and hurrying.

I do have a suggestion for off-season training though. I would suggest you find someone on the cross-country team and have them run with you. It will do wonders for your stamina and leg strength.

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume that your chance up isn’t your best pitch. What grip have you found to have the most movement?

I myself use a small man’s split finger (a modified circle change with the middle finger off the ball).

I’m always looking for things to try in the bullpen =)

My best pitch is definately the 2 seam fastball, I can control it nice and it has serious run.

The change up I use is really just a straight change, middle finger and ring finger on the seams like a 2 seam and I let the other fingers just kinda surround the rest of the ball like a star. I really found out this fall that if I go about 3/4 I get nasty drop and inside run to a righty.

My goal this fall is to work more on my location, I have good control but I want to control hitters with my fastball, my pitching coach says that you can only make the next levels (not high school but college) if I can get strikeouts and groundballs with the fastball, you shouldn’t need the changeup or curve except to keep the hitters off balance and then dominate them with speed and location.

Got a question, my long time pitching coach started to try and get me to land on my toe vs my heal the last 2 lessons, I feel very comfortable with a heal lead and it really gets me a monster stride, maybe 6’ or 6’2" down the hill. I don’t think my front side is coming open as I land! I have watched some guys in the bigs and I think it’s about 50/50 heal vs toe lead on guys that I have watched.

BTW, I have always taken a heal lead, you can see that in my pitching log ever since I was 8, I am 13 now going on 14 in December.

http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13879

I was a little frustrated last night changing something that I know is comfortable for me, argh.