Mechanical analasys?

I am 5’11, 185 and am a senior in HS. I only throw 82-85 mph right now (topped at 87 on gun), 85 being when I let go and throw one max effort, and I don’t know the reason for my lack of velocity other than perhaps my height which shouldn’t be a huge factor looking at Yordano, Kimbrel, Fernando Rodney, Pedro, etc. Not really concerned with command right now since scouts mostly just look at velocity anymore and I throw strikes anyway. I did notice perhaps that I’m not getting great hip/shoulder separation as my upper body starts to go forward just a tiny bit before footstrike. That being said, if anyone could please give me further analysis, I would greatly appreciate it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q3eZQg6DFQ - I start pitching at 0:47

http://s216.photobucket.com/user/CoachBaker/media/heel-1_zpsaec6aa1a.png.html][img]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/heel-1_zpsaec6aa1a.png[/img

One of the simplest things that you can focus on is the collapsing on the instep of your pivot foot as you go into, and continue, with your stride.

In #1, you’re lifting the heel of your pivot foot and that passes on a direction of weight that shifts to your pitching side as you exert force on your body to start and compete your pitch.

In #2, your pivot foot is pointing in a direction as stated in my observations in #1. Notice the direction of that pivot foot as it seems to want to “walk” in the direction of your pitching side. The red arrows are showing you the direction of your body’s shifting weight.

In #3, your body had little or no balance on your pitching arm side, thus when you release all you force with the pitch, your body now wants to balance itself off by leaning toward your glove side. At this point, had you collapsed on the instep of your pivot foot at the beginning and through your stride you would be forcing more of your weight/momentum and power - FORWARD, thus elevating the need to balance yourself off to your glove side. By the way, this balancing that your body is doing is an unsolicited response by your body without your deliberately wanting to. So, you’re not only going around to your glove side, but also down. In # 4, your glove completes the balancing act.

In #4, your pivot leg swing up offering balance to your pitching side, your pitching arm hangs down in front while your glove arm/hand goes from the bottom of your ribcage - swings down and straightens out, thus contributing to the balancing act of your body’s glove side.

All in all, I would suggest keeping everything else in place with your mechanics, but change the pivot foot discipline. Keep the pivot foot flat and collapse on the instep of your pivot foot all the way from the beginning of your stride to the end of the entire pitching cycle. More than likely you’ll notice a lot more control of your body during your pitching cycle, in addition, you’ won’t be slinging yourself off to the first baseline after every pitch.

Try my suggestions and post some video of yourself. You show a lot of good stuff here.

Your ending posture in your video is very susceptible to the bunt along the third baseline.

Coach Baker,

Thanks, I appreciate your advice and analysis! I will definitely try that with my pivot foot and see if I have better results.

http://s216.photobucket.com/user/CoachBaker/media/picdture-3_zps6668b7c5.jpg.html][img]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/picdture-3_zps6668b7c5.jpg[/img

Notice the pivot foot of each of these MLB pitchers. This is what I’m referring to. By collapsing on your instep you relieve a lot of tension along the muscles and tendons of the back of the pivot leg. This tension relief also allows you to be a lot more flexible while bending at the core during your release portion of you pitching cycle.

By the way, you can actually feel the difference by using the method that you now use - raising your heel up of your pivot foot just as you stretch out during your stride, then, go back and collapse on you instep of your pivot foot and notice the difference in how relax your pivot leg muscles are as you stride forward.

I wanted to add additional suggestions, but at the time of the posting I had to leave and attend to other business.

There are other persuasions that are incorporated with your pitching motion that I could suggest, however I’d like to see others comment on your experience here. It would help you tremendously to get a variety of “look-see’s” and advice so you can experience what it’s like to be in a situation where you’re getting assistance from a coaching “staff” not just one coach. This way is a chance to ask questions from other’s that may have a different slant on things - all designed to help you.

By the way, has the suggestion that I offered earlier helped you at all?

The feet caught my attention as well. Coach Baker gave you a good cue to leave the pivot foot down flat through the stride.

I also stopped the video at a few points for footwork, but I was focused on the front foot. It is straight on with home plate too early, in my opinion. Opening too soon is a major velocity bleed. Once the hips are through, if you are not transferring that energy up the trunk at the right instant, then the energy is gone and the result is the all-arm 82-85 mph that we hear about all the time.

What I would have liked to see is the outside of the foot facing home plate longer, which would mean the hips would be closed longer, delaying your hip turn and compressing the timing between hip turn and shoulder turn, increasing torque.

The front foot staying lateral longer will also help keep the pivot heel down longer.

If you focus on keeping lateral movement toward the plate for as long as possible, your brain will straighten out your landing foot at the right moment on its own. You will land harder and increase your catapult effect for getting up and over your landing leg, which is also a problem in your delivery.

You are a bit low on the front leg through trunk rotation. Think of the bent front leg as a shock absorber. The more bend, the more force is absorbed / lost. The straighter it is, the more force is passed up the chain.

I paused a frame at release where your trunk is tilted toward first base and your foot is landing slightly open. Trunk tilt away from home plate is a momentum / energy bleed also. The front foot change that I mentioned before will fix that as well because it will be impossible for you to land with an open front foot.

The open front foot also leads to a problem with front leg stabilization. The calf is not vertical. The knee is closer to first base than the ankle. You want it aligned vertically. Staying closed through the stride fixes this also.

I don’t like to upset tempo in a pitcher, but I think one other thing is important to note. Your first movements are very slow. If you were more explosive with your leg lift, it would increase the tempo of the rest of your delivery. Speed early has a multiplying effect. Incorporating that early speed and explosiveness will also increase how hard you land and add to the potential energy of your delivery.

Your lift, as it is now, seems a bit lazy to me. Again, just my two cents.

As Coach Baker says, there is a lot that is good about your delivery, but there is obvious potential for more MPHs.

austindelo, have you tried any of the suggestions that were offered? I’d like to know if we were of any help to you?

Coach B.