Mechanic hitch

hey finally got some uploads!
shortbox into net, feel like my hip rotation happens too early and should be smoother start to finish… my backfoot drives, lifts, taps, and comes over?

shadow throws off the Drive plate… hip rotation seems smoother (also on flat ground too tho…)

bump

Hey Drewski…

I have watched your youtube video and have read a couple of your replies with different folks on here…

Couple thoughts…

Not sure if you are trying to do this or not but when you are performing your dry, flatground work you look to be jumping towards the plate by pushing off your back leg/foot…if you are trying to do this when there is a ball in your hand you will have a tough time sequencing all the parts to your motion…don’t worry about the push off because it doesn’t happen like you may think…what I mean by this is you are taking things too literally I think…If you push off your back leg you are taking away the motion or sequencing that needs to happen in between that…hope this is making sense…tough to explain here…

For example, if you are driving a car and go from 1st gear to 4th gear you are not going to have enough energy in the car to keep it moving and it would stall out…you did not build up properly by going through all the gears and picking up the proper speed you need to perform in fourth gear…

By letting each sequence of the pitching process happen you let your body build, store and then transfer energy…but to me, based on the reading and based on the youtube clips, you are TRYING to make a certain movement happen instead of just understanding there are certain things in the delivery that must happen naturally to have them work, you can’t think them too much or you won’t perform them correctly…

So, for example, with your initial start into the wind-up, if you start properly and build momentum up well you will not have to feel like pushing off the back leg because you already built the momentum properly when you first started…

Same way for your hips…you do not have to open them up and focus on them at a certain point…if you do this you miss the sequencing that needs to happen before or after that…a better way to do this would just think of yourself as staying sideways as long as possible and maintaining body positions as long as possible and then you will feel when it is time to throw…rotation will happen if you just feel the right time to explode and throw, you will not need to pop your hips or throw them a certain way or anything like that…

If you watch the best in the game they make it look easy…there is a reason to that…it looks easy because their parts are sequenced and timed up correctly, they are not trying to make something happen…that is how you get to throw easy gas…

To me it looks like you have some freedom in your body and you do a lot of things correctly…it is tough to see everything from the view you gave plus I can’t go frame by frame…but from what I see you have a lot of things going well…ask me some questions and lets see if we can assist eachother…

thanks alot man i appreciate it greatly…

i am trying to use the sequences literally youre right… im not robotic but im not smooth either

i just have never really thrown cheddar… i dont know what it really feels like to have the hips rotate through

i have different angles of this same preformance ill post them soon in the morning… i have a tryout for a juco this saturday and mechanic time is over… its important i be aggressive and focused/confident

however i never feel like i use my core to throw the ball… i understand that i am jumping in the second video… should i just push off at knee lift just to get momentum then when its time just explode from hips up?

and make sure my arm is in the cocked position ready to be whipped through?

thanks alot, ill get those videos up soon man awesome awesome

this is a vid of Tom House coaching pitchers, he has a some drills in here that can help you with Dynamic Balance (leading with the front hip) and timing of rotation.

one thing I noticed with your vids is it seems like you collapse the back leg, I don’t know if you are pushing off the back leg but there is no pushing like in a way you are pushing when doing a squat. And pushing with the back foot, using primarily your calf muscles, does nothing for velocity.

The leading with the hips doesn’t come from a push. You sway your hips toward the plate.

So, if you stand feet shoulder width apart in an athletic position you can move your hips side to side without pushing off the ground but the moving your hips side to side will make your feet feel as if you are pushing off the ground when you in fact aren’t intending to do so.

Now, (starting with your posting leg slightly bent) lift your knee up in the balanced position and sway your hips toward the plate…you will feel a force going into the ground like you were pushing. This is when you really have to stay balanced, stabilized n ride that back leg as much as you can and for as long as you can until you get to that point where you have to drive that back knee in to get that last little oommf just before foot plant, keeping the shoulders closed until you land and then everything should explode.

Hope this helps, please ask questions if you have any.

thanks man awesome… thats where im confused about the pushing off… how does driving the back knee to get that extra force happen? just exploding with the back hip to the plate? i understand now its not a forceful push, but a graceful one… my only question is how do you drive the back knee without pushing? torqing your hips?

Hello Drewski,

Again, when you do things properly you do not have to focus on station to station…you should never have to think about driving your knee to homeplate, how to get your arm to the high cocked position or when to pop your hips open…

If you check out my youtube link below I go through the entire process and maybe that will help give you some ideas…

I looked at your video from the stretch position, you start off well but by you asking me where or how should you use specific body parts and certain times it tells me you are still doing things cognitively and not autonomously…just let it roll, get out of your own way…focus on an initial movement and carry it out…for example, think about getting momentum started towards homeplate with the middle of the body and maintaining your posture while you do it…then when it feels like it is time to unravel and throw let it go and don’t think about anything else…the knee should act accordingly, if you try to make it drive forward you have compromised the sequencing…for you I would be way more focused on the whole instead of the parts…

Think of it as staying grounded more...no jumps or hops or anything like that...stay grounded, feel your feet underneath you supporting you...feel the shift of weight from back to middle to front ever so slightly as you move sideways down the mound....

Show me a clip from the front (directly in front) and then from behind (directly from behind)....I want to check out your arm action...

If you want to get an idea of what it feels like to get a strong powerful drive off the back knee then I would suggest picking up a medicine ball or something similar, getting in an athletic position holding the ball up in front of your chest then bending at the waist and bring the ball down to the side and a little back of your posting knee. Make sure you are really sittin’ those hips back as you bring the ball down to stretch those internal hip rotators.

Now, when you do this you should feel a huge load on your back knee, your back knee will really want to fire in towards your body. You use that load to your advantage and explode up and across to the opposite side of your body so for a righty you would explode up and across to your left shoulder, lefty would be right.

Another exercise here: http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/movements/medicine-ball-perpendicular-rotational-throw-baseball.html this will really give your core a workout.

In response to what Douglas said, I do agree when it comes to game time you do not want to be thinking like a robot, but you are not in game time right now. Right now you are preparing for game time so when you are on the mound you’re main focus is to battle, not thinking about a step by step process.

Pitching isn’t natural, you can’t just go into your imagination and emotional state of flow thinking everything is just working great. There is a process of pitching mechanics that allows guys to repeat their delivery. Even the “Godfather” of pitching instruction Tom House teaches drills and absolutes in the pitching motion. If you compare a lot of armatures to the pros in video, there will be some key differences and you correct it by explaining the correct process not just do whatever your body tells you to do.

Looking at the video below, really notice how controlled and smooth he is, one reason is he is really strong and another is he knows what he is doing…also look at his back knee and how it drives in just prior to foot plant, his shoulders stay closed and firms up the front leg. I would suggest to pause at certain points of the video to really see when he does what at certain points, just don’t copy his arm action, his arm action is dangerous but he uses his legs and core almost perfect.

also, check out the slow motion vids on chris o’leary, they are really good slow motion clips.

man thank you guys for your help, i understand what yall are telling me with good clarity

heres the same pitching day at the different angles i took
from the back

from the front

my tryout for a juco is 2 days, on the 18th, and i feel comfortably confident that im am ready physically and mentally… gotta have that tenacity ya dig^^

@ tonyjh34 i do kinda understand that drill you mentioned, is there a video i could find to make sure i have good form?

edit: tony i think i get it, its similar to the form of the corepreformance video… i didnt understand setting the hips back but all good under the hood

[quote=“Drewski”]man thank you guys for your help, i understand what yall are telling me with good clarity

heres the same pitching day at the different angles i took
from the back

from the front

my tryout for a juco is 2 days, on the 18th, and i feel comfortably confident that im am ready physically and mentally… gotta have that tenacity ya dig^^

@ tonyjh34 i do kinda understand that drill you mentioned, is there a video i could find to make sure i have good form?

edit: tony i think i get it, its similar to the form of the corepreformance video… i didnt understand setting the hips back but all good under the hood[/quote]
I watched the video from both angles, and I paused the one from the front as i went through the video. If you get it on the right frame as 2 s, it almost looks like you are leaning off to the side a little bit, like your head is angled, not straight. I might be wrong, and I’d need to see you pitch a few more times, but if you are leaning, that can cause you to leave the ball up and lose some velocity, both which can be a bad combination.

i ultimately believe it comes down to my body staying closed longer to homeplate…

what yall think