measuring your pitching speed, without a radar gun!

ok, ive found this very usefull. this is how u do it.

Measure exactly how far your pitching from.
(measureing tape)

get some one to time how fast it takes you to throw the ball to the backcatcher/fence. (stopwatch)

take the numbers and divide distance by time.

Ex./
say some one throws the ball from 65feet in .70 seconds. divide 65 into .70 and you should get the speed. 65/.70= 92mph

hope it helps, if theres any problems just tell me and ill fix that.

genius!

Nice job, Jason. Keep in mind that this method will show a slower number than a radar gun since it is an average of the speed across the entire ball flight. Radar guns typically pick up the ball right out of the hand at its highest velocity, then the ball slows as it travels toward the plate. Its a good way to determine relative velocities, though.

The Hose

awesome lol thanks man, also since you say its slower? how much slower couldnt you just say add 3-4 mph? lol

My best guess is 2-3 mph slower, depends on the initial velocity, possible side-spin (i.e., “run” of the baseball left and right which would seem to affect travel time) etc.

I video-taped my son and downloaded to the computer, then ran Adobe Premiere Elements to get the exact release point and the exact point where it crossed the plate 60’6" away. Then did the computation.

The Hose

Its good for a ballpark reference though.

yea i just thought it would be a nice thing to know if u wanna know roughly how fast u throw

You should check your math. 65 feet / .70 does NOT equal 92 MPH. It equals 92 FEET per second. Actually it should be rounded to 93. You need to convert it to MPH.

93 ft/s X .682 = 63.4 MPH.

There is a more accurate way to time it. If you have video of yourself, just count the frames from release to whatever you’re throwing at and multiply by .033. That’s if the video was recorded at 30 frames/sec, which is the normal rate. If the rate is different you’ll have to use different values. This will give you the time it took the ball to travel. Now take the distance and divide it by the time. That gives you average speed in feet per second. Now you have to multiply by .682 to get MPH. Or you can use this converter
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/windconvert.shtml

Here is it in mathematical form:

(Distance) / (Frames * .033) * .682= MPH

yea i just thought it would be a nice thing to know if u wanna know roughly how fast u throw

[quote=“xv84”]You should check your math. 65 feet / .70 does NOT equal 92 MPH. It equals 92 FEET per second. Actually it should be rounded to 93. You need to convert it to MPH.

There is a more accurate way to time it. If you have video of yourself, just count the frames from release to whatever you’re throwing at and multiply by .033. That’s if the video was recorded at 30 frames/sec, which is the normal rate. If the rate is different you’ll have to use different values. This will give you the time it took the ball to travel. Now take the distance and divide it by the time. That gives you average speed in feet per second. Now you have to multiply by .682 to get MPH. Or you can use this converter

(Distance) / (Frames * .033) * .682= MPH[/quote]

so whats the entire equation?

yea can u achually write out the enite equation cause i think everyone else would like to know

He did…

[quote=“jamesh23”][quote=“xv84”]You should check your math. 65 feet / .70 does NOT equal 92 MPH. It equals 92 FEET per second. Actually it should be rounded to 93. You need to convert it to MPH.

so whats the entire equation?[/quote]

Sorry, but do you guys need glasses or improved reading comprehension? Like Spencer said, I already gave you the equation. But you can’t use it unless you have video recorded at 30 frames per second. Again, I already mentioned that as well.

b / (Frames * .033) * .682 = MPH[/b]

If you are using Jasonlinaker’s method it would just be:

b / (Seconds) * .682 = MPH[/b]

[quote=“xv84”][quote=“jamesh23”][quote=“xv84”]You should check your math. 65 feet / .70 does NOT equal 92 MPH. It equals 92 FEET per second. Actually it should be rounded to 93. You need to convert it to MPH.

so whats the entire equation?[/quote]

Sorry, but do you guys need glasses or improved reading comprehension? Like Spencer said, I already gave you the equation. But you can’t use it unless you have video recorded at 30 frames per second. Again, I already mentioned that as well.

b / (Frames * .033) * .682 = MPH[/b]

If you are using Jasonlinaker’s method it would just be:

b / (Seconds) * .682 = MPH[/b][/quote]

No i thought you meant you had to add that to his equation for it to be right, not that they were 2 completely different equations. :roll:

actually they are both the same equations…

Man, the US really is going down the tubes in math and science.

Since when do you have to be a college graduate to understand unit conversion?

I have an app that does the math for me

I have a great app for getting Pitch Speed without a radar gun. It’s called Snap Pitch. You can learn about it here: https://sites.google.com/view/snap-pitch. It’s very easy to use and accurate to within 1 mph. It also makes a nice video you can share with family, friends, and coaches. If you check it out let me know what you think.