Me Pitching

The vid is a lil choppy but what can you say from this?

I can say that you’re looking pretty good.

The only thing I’d add is that it seems that you generate good sideways momentum but then decelerate a lot before you land. Give yourself permission to let the shoulder rotation continue and let the trunk flexion forward happen. You seem to want to stand up quickly after throwing the ball. Let your back foot go up higher and come over and down in front of the landing foot. Right now, it seems like you want your right foot to come down to the side. Don’t worry about that stuff so much. Just let the shoulders fire away and flex forward into a “flat back finish”.

Just some thoughts.

What do you mean by trunk flexion forward dm?

I seem to want to standup similiar to this youngster and his video. Is that because he fails to keep a flexed front knee? Or should he just try and keep a flat back?

:cry: I had typed up the most brilliant post ever made :wink: but it didn’t get saved. Don’t know why. Since this is my second time on this, I’ll keep it briefer and less “brilliant”. :smiley:

By “trunk flexion” I mean bending forward at the waist during the follow through. Watch Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens for good examples of this.

I noticed that at release you’re too far in back of your front foot and your release point isn’t out front as much as I think it should be. But you seem to start your hips early and build some decent momentum so I’m not sure at the moment of the cause. I’ll have to look some more when I have more time.

please do also could that be because of my stride being to long or does it look ok? Also the other admin said I should follow through with a flat back I know what he means but what will this do for me?

Any other input or explanations?

My inexact measurements show your stride to be about as long as you are tall. Probably okay, maybe a bit too long at this point. I wouldn’t worry about shortening it any. I do think you allow your right leg to collapse a little too much and a little too early, robbing you of power, and it may cause the premature release Roger spoke of.

I know what your saying about my leg, and I don’t like how it does that either. But what should it do and what should I do about it? Should I try and keep that foot on the rubber longer or something?

Ok, I finally watched some more. I feel that over all you look pretty good. But you’re definitely not finishing as explosively as I would like. You don’t look intent on throwing hard. I think the adjustment you need to make is to lead with your front hip a bit longer into your stride before swinging your foot out front. Right now, I think you start the hips forward early - which is good - but you swing the foot out front and really end up reaching with the front foot. That has the effect of pulling the hips open sooner and wasting energy, taking away that explosiveness.

I might also suggest starting with your knees bent just a tiny bit. This will reduce the big dip you take as you stride as hoseman pointed out.

So you’re saying that you want me to keep my hips closed longer or like have my foot stay facing third base longer right? And I’ll try starting with my knees bent n see what happens. Thanks for the tips.

Any other input…I’m open to anything.-

looks good, i think you could get a little more hip separation which would increase velocity a little, but overall i think your in the right place, how fast have you been clocked at in the past?

When I was thirteen was the only time I was every actually clocked and I hit 68. I’m 16 now however and as far as I know I throw pretty much around the same like high 60’s to mid 70’s MAYBE? If i do hit mid 70’s it’s probably rare. so I would say I’m just around 70.

I hate how my body slows up in the middle of my delivery and I’ve taken the advice of not dipping my knee so much and trying to let my body fall forward longer and not open my hips as early as I do but it still feels like something isn’t right. When I see other people pitch it seems so fluent but mine it seems like theres a pause and it messes things up.

So what else should I do i think it’s got something to do with how far back I tilt my shoulders but I don’t know.

This is what I want to fix by spring so I need help this is the mechanical flaw I really want to work on.

mb,

I’m afraid my post is just going to show that 4 or 5 different people, all viewing the same pitching mechanics, may easily come up with 4 or 5 different and sometimes conflicting viewpoints.

First, I very much disagree with the comment that your stride is “too long”. Measurements of the stride distance of the best pitchers in the game show a very clear pattern: Measured from the front edge of the rubber to the toe of the landing foot, the best pitchers average anywhere from 90% to 110% of their body height in stride length. A few even get a little more than that. Tim Lincecum is under 6’ tall, and his stride is reputed to be in the vicinity of 7’.

Second, it looked to me as though you briefly pause at the top of your leg lift. If you feel the same way, but think that is reasonable or natural because you’ve been taught to “stop at the top” or whatever, consider this:

Pitchers who “stop at the top” must re-start their momentum forward to home plate from scratch. And, they must do so while balanced on one leg. It is not the optimum time to create your forward momentum!

In my opinion, you should consider trying a delivery in which you consciously strive to get your front hip going forward to home plate at the same time as your leg lift begins. There are also some throwing drills to help you get the feeling of “fast fanny forward” but they kinda have to be seen to be understood.

Well if you wouldn’t mind could you at least try and explain them?

Also I wasn’t referring to the stop at the top of my leg kick, although I do agree that I do have somewhat of a pause there, but I was talking about when I begin to open up my hips it seems like I lose all of the power or momentum that I began to build up as I lean back toward the rubber that was what I was talking about although I see and understand your point.

re:“Well if you wouldn’t mind could you at least try and explain them?”

It is very awkward, and sometimes misleading, to explain drills without pictures to accompany words. Video is better, and live instruction is best. That being said, Roger might very possibly be able to steer you to some video on YouTube where pitchers are demo’ing NPA cross-over drills and narrow-stance drills. These drills are adequately described also in “The Art and Science of Pitching” which you can buy for less than $20.

These are not the drills I referred to, however, they are experiments that you might be interested in doing to see how much you think “pause at the top” is an issue in your motion. Try to get a friend to gun you during the experiment:

Note: You don’t need to throw to a catcher, or worry about location, in this experiment. Just warm-up normally, then throw a couple of fastballs at your highest bullpen velocity:

FB #1) Balance yourself on your post leg, with your knee at the peak of leg lift. After you’ve achieved balance in that position for a second or two, pitch the ball.

FB #2) Balance yourself over both feet in the standard set position. Make a strong, conscious effort to get your front hip moving to home plate at the same time as your leg first begins to lift and pitch the ball. It may feel as though you’re going to fall in the HP direction unless you lift and stride–that’s what it should feel like.

roger has you dead on. your mechanics are fine, your tempo could use some work. after you come up to what many folks call balance point, you start accelerating just fine, then you slow down toward the end of yor delivery.

it should be just the opposite. after the hand comes out of the glove, it sould consistently speed up reaching maximum velocity at release.

and DO NOT shorten your stride. you should stride as far as you can and maintain control. ryan would also stride farther than his height. the only way to do that is to push and drag your back foot from the rubber BEFORE you release the ball.

look at the koufax video clip on the pitching video clips at the top.

then focus on building arm strength and strength in your shoulder to protect your arm. you must throw 3 times per week to build arm strength. twice tomaintain it.

[quote=“dusty delso”]it should be just the opposite. after the hand comes out of the glove, it sould consistently speed up reaching maximum velocity at release.

and DO NOT shorten your stride.[/quote]
:ole:
Thank you dusty. Amen on both accounts.

I understand I should keep my momentum falling towards home and I see in the video what you’re talking about how I slow down but is that because of how I tilt my shoulders back? Because it’s at that point that I begin to slow up and then I have to speed Up all over again.