Maybe a dumb question

i was wondering if there was away to roughly judge the speed of a pitch with out a radar gun a noise i havent thrown in a while and dont have access to a gun just wondering :?:

Sam, the only dumb questions—the only stupid questions—are the ones not asked. You have asked a very reasonable question. Back in the day, when I was pitching, radar guns didn’t even exist, maybe some rudimentary ones, so when it came to timing pitches—it was anybody’s guess. Now, you would like at least an approximation of your speed, right?
I remember one time when I was pitching in a game, and I threw a pitch that was a good deal faster than my usual snake-jazz. When I told my pitching coach about it, he got a catcher’s mitt and a stopwatch and told me to throw that “whoops” pitch of mine some nine or ten times so he could time it. I did so, and then he surprised me—he told me that I had a fast ball! I was indeed surprised, and he told me that I sure did have one—a good four-seamer with a lot of movement on it, 81 or 82 miles an hour, and for a finesse pitcher like me that was a fast ball. So what you can do is get a catcher, and get someone with a stopwatch, and do some throwing as if you were pitching in a game and have the guy with the stopwatch time you. You’ll get some idea of just how fast you’re throwing. Gotta start somewhere. :slight_smile: 8)

thanks i think ill try that out i ask also because some told me that buzzing sound only comes off the ball at 80 mph dont know how true that is but again thank you

probably the best way to estimate with out a radar gun is distance, depending how far you can throw should have an idea of how hard, it was posted somewhere but i forget where if i find it ill post it in this topic.
but i think it was something like over 330 is high 80’s

i think stopwatches dont give you a good estimate because the person timing never starts it and ends it at the perfect times

Thank you ill try and find that also

[quote=“FranDaMan”]probably the best way to estimate with out a radar gun is distance, depending how far you can throw should have an idea of how hard, it was posted somewhere but i forget where if i find it ill post it in this topic.
but i think it was something like over 330 is high 80’s

i think stopwatches dont give you a good estimate because the person timing never starts it and ends it at the perfect times[/quote]

Here it is:

[quote]50 mph ~ 120’
60 mph ~ 170’
70 mph ~ 210’
80 mph ~ 260’
90 mph ~ 305’
100 mph ~ 360’

250’ ~ 78mph
300’ ~ 89 mph
350’ ~ 97 mph
280’ ~ 84 mph

80 mph throw at 30-degrees: ~262’
80 mph throw at 35-degrees: ~267’
80 mph throw at 40-degrees: ~264’ [/quote]

thats what i was looking for^^

thank youu CSO and there you go sam good luck!!

thank you guys for all the help