Matt Landers 2016 LHP

Looks like you’re landing closed and throwing across your body. What age/class are you? I don’t normally comment on mechanics much but look pretty good overall.

I am a 17 yo HS junior class pitcher. Currently throwing an 85-88 mph fastball, 75 mph changeup and 65+ curveball.

I like a lot of what I see up to release. You seem to not get the most out of trunk flexion and follow through. You finish sort of high. It’s like you are slowing yourself down a fraction too early.

Thanks! I have been working on that during the off-season since this video was taken. When I have an updated video I will send it.

I notice that he strides extremely closed - basically starting on the right side of the rubber and striding to the complete opposite side. Could that be causing the high finish? I would think it would be difficult to get full hip turn prior to trunk flexion doing that.

@Pitcher17 noticed the same thing, and I agree that certainly contributes to reduced hip range and everything else that happens after that.

Nice delivery all around and good points by our other forum members. The only recommendation I’d fix at this point is your initial rocker step to the side… it’s too big of a step, so your head (and entire body, which follows your head) move off midline and then back again as you rock forward and lift your leg. That sideways movement is wasted and unnecessary. Take a much smaller rocker step back instead of so far to the side off midline.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! Never noticed the foot strike limiting my hip rotation before, but now I see it. Looks like fixing that will help better rotation, higher velocity, more complete follow-thru and also promote consistent landing in an athletic position. Not to mention ease stress on the front ankle. I think this may have started as a bad habit from compensating for the poor quality of pitching mounds, looking for more sure footing to the sides of what are usually craters. Gonna work on it before this HS season gets underway.

In addition to what’s been mentioned-

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/head%20position-1_zpshrjnbr7g.png
In picture #1, your head position is up with the brim of your cap tilting up. You’re trying to focus on your target out of phase with your head position. Because of this starting postion with your head, your eyes will truly focus and manage the finish posture of your release the only way it can – by poping up after your release, instead of a smooth follow through down towards your target. By the way, that stride/leg-foot observation is a key mechanics issued I would suggest dealing with now. That correction could adjust my observations.

In picture #2, your entire body is now moving towards the third baseline – wasted energy here in addition to regaining your balance. Notice how abruptly your pitching arm “snaps” at the shoulder. Keep that up and your ending destination will be a never ending day-to-day shoulder issue(s). By the way, that stride/leg-foot observation is a key mechanics issued I would suggest dealing with now. That correction could adjust my observations.

In picture #3, your motions in #1, and #2 force you to “peter-pan” off to your glove side, while trying to maintain your balance. Your management of your momentum, balance and control is compounded to the extent it is, by your pivot foot “whipping” up.

Again I think if your correct your stride leg/foot landing more direct to your target, a lot of this will take care of itself.

Also, try to stay with your pitch a little better. Try and not bailing out after your release, then popping up with that “snapping” of your pitching arm and shoulder. Try and finish like in the example below, if you can.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/staydown_zpse346f555.jpg