Matt Kerr Pitching Analysis

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

FYI, I updated your title and put this topic in our new Video Analysis section.

Welcome to the forum. A couple of things:

1. Don’t swing your lift leg up from your foot; instead lift straight up with the knee and let your foot hand loosely with no tension. Your lift leg foot currently makes a circular motion up and back down and what you should do is lift straight up and straight down.

2. You land with your stride foot open (across midline) and also your toes are open. So your hips lose a significant amount of rotational power. During landing, keep your stride foot along or 2-3 inches inside of midline. And keep your toes pointed directly at the target or closed 10-20 degrees toward 3B.

Thanks Steven
I get the second part of what your saying but not the first. Is there a video or something I could see what you mean? Let’s say after I get my mechanics down would I be able to get more velocity on my fastball?

Thanks again

Here’s an article I wrote about this phase of the pitching delivery that also includes photos. Read Step 3 (leg lift), Step 4 (maximum knee height) and Step 5 (stride).

http://youthpitching.com/mechanics.html#leg-lift

Do you always lift so low from the stretch? There is a place for that, but you should vary it. Mix in that low lift every few pitches so runners never predict when it’s coming. You just look a bit less explosive when using that minimal lift.

Also, look at your glove side during rotation. You seem to let your glove sag and it’s keeping your shoulders from being as level as they could be. Keep the glove up at chest level.

You open up just a bit earlier than ideal coming into foot strike.

Lots of good stuff going on in your delivery.

Another thing that stands out is your pronation at release instead of following release. That could be getting you away from the back of the ball too early and not allow you to transfer the most energy possible into the ball.

I’ve never seen this article before. Really fantastic read that I will refer back to for almost all of my current students.

Side note: do you have any camera recommendations for videotaping? I’ve looked into investing and just trying to find one that would fit what is needed for analysis. I would think higher frames per second would be preferable. Is 60 fps enough?

You look almost exactly like Justin Verlander😀. You might even have more hip to shoulder seperation then him. Only thing is your external rotation is very poor so either this is a range of motion problem or you just need to relax your arm.

Mechanics look good to me besides when in the stretch you barely lift your leg. Lift your leg a little higher. Nice filthy Curveball by the way.

Actually if you watched all the videos, you’d see he actually has a high leg kick, but was working out of the slide step in some of the videos.

Tame your front leg. Your front leg is way too active, and it causes you to open early, which is bad for a myriad of reasons, I’ll split them into 2 groups.

• Mechanically:
    Because you used your front leg to much, you opened up early, and causes you to basically throw it out to the plate. You lost any chance of hip to shoulder seperation which is important. You also lost energy that you may have gotten by an explosively opening right before front foot. Now, you lost the energy of opening your foot, meaning you can’t keep your hips back, so they open early losing energy, and then you’re upper half unloads early, resulting in unessicary stress on your elbow, and again a loss in energy. You also end up practically throwing your front leg to the plate. My assumption is that this is to gain stride length…? Reguardless of the reason, do not do this. Your leg should follow go down and to the plate, like an exaggerated J or L, depending on your preference. Keep your weight on your back foot, and use it to drive – your back leg has more to do with stride length than front. As your leg comes out, it should extend, and then you should push off the rubber into foot strike with your back leg. You will get closer to the plate, and throw harder. Win-win.

Perceived Velo: This was actually something covered a few weeks ago in Coach Steven’s daily tip. Your opening too early not only results in a loss of ball speed, but perceived velocity and deception. You need to stay closed, and then at the last moment fire your hips then upper body. If you keep your shoulders closed for as long as possible, you will create the effect that batters always talk about by saying “the ball jumps out of the pitchers hand”.

I should add to clarify, a mean a loss as in less hip to shoulder seperation.