Martial arts and grunting ? Pitching

1st off I would like to say this topic is different and please keep it to a good discussion so we can figure some things out. KC I know you might want to go into more depth in this.

Ok I have heard and they have tested on sports science that 15-20% more power when a martial arts guy that breaks bricks when grunting then when he is silent.

Also tennis players grunt some pitchers and people in the martial arts do this alot.

Could grunting help a pitcher I have talked about this before but I want to get more in depth with this. When you grunt your body sends an adrenaline rush to the body also the core flexes and the lungs get get tight and release once the breath is out.

So do you think grunting would help a pitcher improve power to some extent ?
or do nothing

I’ve “grunted” for a few years. It hasn’t done any harm, but I don’t know if it does any good either… :?

Someone’s been watching a little Sports Science on Fox Sports.

Yes Fox Sports which is not Comcast sports net in my area.

But grunting has been something I have wondered about in the past.

MLB pitchers known for grunting are

Roger Clemens
Jake Peavy
Bob Feller

there are more

lets keep this topic on target do pitchers gain power from grunting like martial art guys do?

Ok, grunting does not give you power. What grunting does is works as a way to make sure that you exhale when you throw, which should help you feel more relaxed when you throw and follow through. I’m not entirely sure but it seems to help keep you loose and not stiff when pushing off, planting, throwing, following through, etc.

Where did we get this grunting research on Peavy, Clemens, and Feller?

The thing about those combat sports such as karate and mma it’s not necessarily grunting, as much as it is breathing properly. I’m not in to karate or any of that stuff, but I do think proper breathing is necessary for great body efficiency. Some of you I’m sure are bigger experts in this area so I’ll leave the in depth stuff alone. Just my small take thus far.

Most boxers and kickboxers will exhale when they punch or kick, either through their nose or clinched teeth. If you grunt, then your mouth is open. And if your mouth is open you are asking to get your jaw broken :wink:

Breathing is also an important part of lifting. Learning to inhale and exhale on the eccentric/concentric portions is extremely important to the production of power.

You also see it in tennis, shotput, etc.

"Learning to inhale and exhale on the eccentric/concentric portions is extremely important to the production of power."

3 gold stars for the WO-NUTs guru!!! :smiley:

My son is a 2nd degree Tae Kwan Doo Black belt. At several events I have seen him break concrete blocks, now his master uses keys like shouting, grunting as methods of focus, my son didn’t, he just focused and broke the daggone things…my point is Ristar, if you artificially do something, grunt wheeze whatever…your focus is diverted to that act, if it comes to you “naturally” as what you do or feel comfortable with go for it.
Does that make sense to you?

I have a 1st degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and I never grunt. Not everyone does. Not every boxer or tennis player grunts either. Did Joe Frazier or George Foreman grunt? How about Roger Federer? I’m not against grunting or a well timed, sudden exhale (listen to top level boxers) but I see no conclusive evidence that grunting actually adds to anything. There are just too many examples of extremely hard hitters, pitchers or tennis servers who don’t. So, my take is that it’s just not necessary. There are other factors that come into play. Grunt if you want to. Don’t if you don’t want to. It’s about breathing and mechanics.

Very interesting thread.

My son also has a 1st deg BB in tae kwon do and his master (a 9th degree from Korea) has always taught him to “ki-ah” forcefully on punches and kicks.

In his dojo they use the ki-ah to help focus attention, but it is also used for intimidation in sparring.

The boy also grunts something like that when he pitches–it just seems to come naturally.

I think DM has it right, though, their are many other ways to focus the attention and there are many other ways to intimidate sparring opponents and batters.

I have heard jake peavy through the TV lol been to a yankees game heard roger clemens do it also bob feller was known for doing it I read in an article before.

It just interested me

One of the techniques of breathing disciplines for pitchers, is to control your intake (amount) and rate of release –breath.

In competitive situations it’s not unusual to have an increase in heart rate, rates of breathing and perspiration. All of which come into play when pitching – in varying degrees.

With respect to breathing, it’s very important to maintain a consistent pulse of breathing,more that just the causal observer with notice. Without going into too much detail here, one of the simplest examples of one breathing discipline – exhaling, or grunting as RIstart would call it, is to release air gradually from the midsection of the body. In particular the lower portion of the body cavity that is just below the lungs. By releasing this air you allow your body to be far more flexible and fluid in, through, and after your delivery.

One of the most basic platforms of pitching that compliments the protocols of sound mechanics are breathing techniques. Unfortunately, for most … and I so stress the word most, not all … pitchers under the age of fifteen (15) do not have the attention span and focus to maintain this training. Hence, it’s not covered very well , if at all, until the first year of college. However, there are exceptions.

Specifically, try this exercise:
Take a deep breath and hold it. Then, try and bend over and touch the bottom of your kneecaps. Kind of uncomfortable isn’t it. Now take another deep breath – hold it, but this time exhale about half of it and then try and touch your shins. Not so bad now, is it?

For those of you interested in the initial steps of breathing disciplines for pitchers – try this simple exercise.

for one minute in duration only
for the first five seconds control your intake breathing – try to regulate a smooth easy inhale
for the next five seconds control you exhale – try to regulate a smooth easy exhale.
for the next five second control your intake breathing – try to regulate a smooth easy inhale.
……continue this inhale and exhale in five second intervals for one (1) minute.
If you’ve never done this kind of breath control before, I suggest sitting down first, just incase you lightheaded.

As another suggestion, the next time you’re at the park or playing catch, try taking a deep breath and then throw (pitch). Note your performance. Now, take a deep breath then release half of it and throw (pitch) and note the performance. The second time around you should see a noticeable
ease in your delivery and overall performance. Also, if you’re a power guy looking for better than average velocity numbers, it’s essential that you command your breathing techniques.

I should note however, some pitches find it awfully difficult breaking the habit taking in a breath then holding it while they give it that final HUMPH ! I strongly recommend getting away from that.

Good observation RIstar.

Coach B.

wow one of the best posts I have seen In a while. I loved the post I will try that coach baker.

All it is 5 seconds breath in and then hold for 5 second right and breath out.

If you’ve never practiced breathing routines – use caution here. Don’t try this exercise for more than sixty (60) second in total duration. And only for once a day.

This kind of drill is not unusual for semi and professional players with expert trainers and highly skilled support staff. Can you hurt yourself - of course not. But over doing it won’t help you either. Besides, this drill is not part of a on-again…off-again exercise. If you really want to see an improvement in your breathing discipline for pitching - set aside one minute each day when it’s a good time just to sit down with a clock with a seconds hand and run the drill just once.

By the way, this drill is not as easy as you think. Sounds simple doesn’t?
Geeshhh … all I’ve got to do is breath! But the accomplishment is to breath with control – in and out like I posted before with CONTROL.
At the start you’ll probably manage for about the first fifteen(15) seconds then after that you’ll find it harder and harder to control taking in breath slowly and then releasing it slowly.

Make sure you sit down the first couple of times you run this drill. And as always - if you have any breathing, heart, lung related current or history of problems here - avoid the drill all together. There are alternative drills.

Coach B.

RIstar… I wanted to mention that there are definite aspects of this drill that are directly related to the pitcher’s move just after the stride leg goes into action.

However, I think it would be helpful to you if you first went through this exercise and got some experience under your belt with how you regulated your contol - at first, then as you gained experience and tolerance. You’ll be surprised at the results. But we’ll cover that a couple of weeks from now after you get a few sessions under your belt.

Coach B.

sat in the left field bleachers of the astrodome when nolan ryan was pitching. could hear im out there every pitch. loudest i ever heard.

faced clemens when he was at texas. didn’t hear anything but he could have changed in pro ball.

don’t know about the others.

[quote=“dusty delso”]sat in the left field bleachers of the astrodome when nolan ryan was pitching. could hear im out there every pitch. loudest i ever heard.

faced clemens when he was at texas. didn’t hear anything but he could have changed in pro ball.

don’t know about the others.[/quote]

I grunt when I lift but I don’t when I throw.

Dusty I can vouch for you … Nolan Ryan was the loudest pitcher I’ve ever seen / heard in person .

I think it can because it represents the ‘intent’ to throw harder.

Few years ago, I saw a footage of Chan Ho Park pitching back in 1997 and in one of his strikeout pitches, his ‘karate-shout’ was heard when he released the ball. Some (jocular) Koreans even made a ringtone out of that shout… well that was back than when Park was throwing 99mph heater