Marshall Pronation Series

What are your opinions on someone that doesn’t use “Marshall Mechanics” utilizing the pronation series? I think it would help elbow strength/health.

Thoughts?

What’s Marshall Mechanics? Can you elaborate or provide a link?

[quote=“7Steps”]What are your opinions on someone that doesn’t use “Marshall Mechanics” utilizing the pronation series? I think it would help elbow strength/health.

Thoughts?[/quote]

could you summarize this series for those who are not familiar (It’s been a while since I’ve seen it myself as well).

as I recall it was guys putting 20lbs wrist weights on and violently pronating their arms, like they were throwing punches almost. Looked almost as wacky as his mechanics, but I’m interested in seeing the whole series if you have it.

marshall mechanics are based around the theory that “traditional throwing” is inherently dangerous (which is true) and so a better way should be implemented to safeguard against injury. His pitchers try to get everything moving straight towards the plate, eliminate any whipping of the throwing arm, and instead catapult the ball over the top and finish the pitch by powerfully and actively pronating into and through release.

I wrote a little on the topic here: http://danblewett.com/2010/04/reverse-forearm-bounce/

where I provide a link to a marshall training video.

(sigh) Here we go again…
A few years ago, when I was researching my paper on pitching coaches, I drove out to Zephyrhills—that’s a little town about a half-hour’s drive from Tampa—to talk to Mike Marshall (not to be confused with a journeyman outfielder of the same name), and after two hours I couldn’t wait to get out of there. 'Nuff said. :roll:

Basically the workout utilizes all of the diffrent stages in the Marshall throw. They mimic on throwing the ball without actually doing so by using wrist weights and shotput-like balls (using wrongfoot slingshot to throw torque fb, pronation cb, and maxline fb.) The workout also involves “windup swings” (basically just throwing out of the windup) and bucket twirls (literally twirling weighted buckets to strengthen the forearm during pronation and supernation.)

All of the workouts are listed here for various athletes (high school and adult going from 60 to 724 days)

http://www.drmikemarshall.com/BaseballPitcherInterval-TrainingPrograms.html

My idea is to use a variation of the workouts as part of my forearm workout. I like the bucket twirls and have been doing them for about a week. I have some 10 lb ankle weights I can use as wrist weights and just focus on pronating a simulated throw.

A visual

Jeez man, I don’t know this stuff looks crazy. It’s like the Tom House material, maybe beneficial under his supervision, but nobody else in the world can implement the system.

Thanks for the research material though, will run this by some of the pitching coaches here by me.

I mean I see no reason to start fooling around with anything produced by marshall…where’s the evidence any of it works? Just because you like an exercise (bucket twirls?) doesn’t make it effective (again, it may or may not be, but wheres the evidence).

If you want strong forearms why not do tried and true exercises.

Wrist curls normal and reverse, pronation, supination, ulnar and radial deviation

and then just lift heavy and deadlifts, farmer’s walks, RDLs, towel/fat grip pullups will all hammer your grip.

never in a million years would i even try that stuff. Honestly it looks like is arm is about to twirl off. Do you have any idea what wrong move can do to your arm(completely tear it or injure it). Jesus. That looked pretty scary. Thats only 10lbs as well.

Imagin 40lbs.

Ya with my baseball career on the line and play future college ball and maybe minor/major league ball. I would never ever do those exercises ever.

My own opinion.

Good points all around. At my own naiveness, I just assumed becasue his pitchers never get hurt their training must be good. Thinking about it again these drills wont help me unless I utilize the mechanics, which I’ll never do. So I’ll give it up.

1. I haven’t seen conclusive evidence that his pitchers are 100% injury free, other than his assertions. Too small of a sample size anyway.

2. I’m not saying there isnt merit to the drills, there MAY be some, it’s just that in this case the perceived risk appears to way outweigh the potential benefit.

it’s good you’re thinking for yourself more, the lesson here is just don’t dismiss (OR accept) what somebody says, just because they say it. Look to the evidence (qualitative or quantitative) to make your decision.