Mariano Rivera

How can a guy, with one pitch, become one of the best closers ever.
If you know its coming all the time. Is it that good?

answer is obviously yes. when a pitch does something that is absolutely unnatural, like moving so late after you have to commit your swing, you get lots of guys out. you have to purposfully miss a liitle to hit that thing.

koufax was like that. he held his elbows away from his body when he threw his curveball and everybody knew it. but they still couldn’t hit it. it was that good.

trust your stuff if it’s good

That’s Mo, all right. You know that cutter is coming. You know he’s going to throw it. And you can’t hit it for sour apples. When he’s really on, it’s good morning, good afternoon and good night, or a pop-up, or a weak grounder to second. I’m surprised that other teams don’t send him a bill for all the bats he has broken over the years!
When he comes into the game we can all breathe easier. :slight_smile:

Mariano is a perfect example of movement, and accuracy doing wonders as opposed to blowing it past guys. Yes he throws his cutter hard, low 90’s but he hardly ever misses the spot, hits all his spots and even when you know it’s coming late movement and accuracy still makes people look silly. Try throwing a 100mph fastball down the middle when a guy knows it’s coming and you’ll be having a quick trip to the showers.

[quote=“dusty delso”]answer is obviously yes. when a pitch does something that is absolutely unnatural, like moving so late after you have to commit your swing, you get lots of guys out. you have to purposfully miss a liitle to hit that thing.

koufax was like that. he held his elbows away from his body when he threw his curveball and everybody knew it. but they still couldn’t hit it. it was that good.

trust your stuff if it’s good[/quote]

Bingo, Bango, Bongo.

It’s the best pitch of all time. Awesome command of the pitch to both sides of the plate, and it’s certainly not something the hitters see on a day to day basis. On top of this, HE BELIEVES IN HIMSELF. Rivera is mentally sound.

Man, is his cutter much better than the other pitchers cutters?
Did he always just throw a cutter?

the answer again is yes it is that good. if other guys were doing it they wouldn’t get hit.

like greg maddux. he threw a moving fastball, breaking pitch and change up. nothing special on the radar gun, but he could hit a sheet of paper at 60 ft and it moved like a frisbie. i’ve done some reading on him. he said he would miss about one out of 10. that means that if he threw 100 pitches, 10 were hittable. you foul off 3 and you’re down to 7 pitches a game. that is unbelievable.

he would throw at a brick wall by himself at 70% during spring training to get and keep that feel. he’s special. a first ballot hall of famer.

It was some time in 1997, and Mo was just playing catch one day when he discovered, quite by accident, how to make that ball cut. From then on there was no stopping him. Since then he has become known for the best, the most effective, cut fastball in the majors. Ask any batter who has ever broken a bat…as what happened in the 1999 World Series when the Braves sent up a pinch-hitter against him. Four pitches…three broken bats. And a pop-up to second base.
Interesting, isn’t it, that the times he blew saves he threw a four-seam fast ball instead of the cutter? :slight_smile:

Do any of you guys know how he throws his?

By the way, I think he’s plain mentally tougher than most pitchers, too. Few pitchers are more poised and stoic out there. But yeah, that cutter is downright McNasty!

Mo has a little secret. I found out about it when I was reading a magazine article about him some time ago. It is this: before he even starts warming up, he takes a couple of minutes to get himself into a mindset he calls “the eye of the tiger”—a quiet but very intense focus in which nothing exists for him except getting those batters out. Then he warms up. He takes that focus out to the mound along with that cut fastball. And he proceeds to make the batters look unbelievably stupid. If you watch him closely—watch his face. He has an almost unearthly calm about him, a “nothing will stop me” determination.
And as I watch him I remember the same thing about Ed Lopat when he was pitching—he had the same focus, the same intent concentration (and a whole lot more stuff) on the mound. I don’t know how he did it, but he taught me to achieve the same kind of focus, and that might account in large part for my unbeaten record as both a starter and a reliever…and that odd sense of familiarity as I watch Mariano Rivera at work.
There will never be another like him. On the day he decides to pack it in, I shall mourn. 8) :baseballpitcher:

The secret is revealed:

The video tells it all.

its incredible, a true gift from god.

I did like his one pitch, one out appearance last night. That’s the way it’s supposed to be.

[quote=“dusty delso”]the answer again is yes it is that good. if other guys were doing it they wouldn’t get hit.

like greg maddux. he threw a moving fastball, breaking pitch and change up. nothing special on the radar gun, but he could hit a sheet of paper at 60 ft and it moved like a frisbie. i’ve done some reading on him. he said he would miss about one out of 10. that means that if he threw 100 pitches, 10 were hittable. you foul off 3 and you’re down to 7 pitches a game. that is unbelievable.

he would throw at a brick wall by himself at 70% during spring training to get and keep that feel. he’s special. a first ballot hall of famer.[/quote]

Maddux did a similar interview during his amazing Cy Young run. He made the same “one of out of ten” comment then but he went on to say that 7 of those 10 he “missed” with were usually to spots hitters wouldn’t offer at anyway. 3 pitches out of of 100, in his prime, he felt he really gave the hitter a good pitch to hit. Unbelievable.

thats why when people come to me saying nolan ryan is the best pitcher i say yes he’s a GREAT pitcher, 5000+ strike outs 7 no hits numerous 1 hits and pure dominance but do not forget greg maddux and his 300 wins 3000+ strike outs with LESS THAN 1000 BB in 23 seasons

nolan ryan as almost as much bb as maddux has strike outs.

both were great, but did it differently, one wih finesse and mind, other with a arm gifted and just straight up overpowering electric stuffs

because its as perfect as it gets. its so good because its all he uses. great control. great speed. great break